bringing a pet to BA

govenezia

Registered
my husband & I just got back from our first trip to B A. We loved every minute but when we got back (we were only gone a week) our 7 pound dog had lost a pound because he missed us so mucch & wouldn't eat in the kennel. We would like to come back to BA again in Dec and stay for 2 or 3 weeks, but only if he can come too. The airlines don't seem to be a problem, but customs & health considerations appear to be troublesome. Does anyone out there know about Argentinian requirements? I think we can find an apartment if we just knew he wouldn't be quarantined, etc.
Any input would be appreciated.

Hello
I brought my 80pounds labrador with me from the Bahamas to BA via Miami
you only need the regular shots dated for more than a month and less than 160 something days a good health certificate from the ministry of agriculture and from the vet that's all.
Then when you arrive here it takes some time to finish the paper and pay but it depends at what the dog arrive has they close they office at 5pm but you can still get the dog out they cannot keep it at night but fewer people are there so it takes more time.
i have use this company below knowing that in cargo dogs travel better than in the regular commercial flight.
they are fantastic my dog had to stay in Miami for two days they took him at their house and sent me pix of my dog on their bed at home!!!!! funny!!
mail

Mario Gutierrez Jr.
Global Freight Systems, Inc.
6310 NW 99 Ave
Doral, FL 33178
Phone: (305) - 513-9472
Fax: (305) - 470-6201
email: [email protected]
web site: www.gfsimport-export.com
"Logistics Professionals Committed to Excellence"

Let me know if you need more info.
Ciao

Be sue to have the official International Certificate of health for you pet. I believe it must be issued no more than 30 days prior to your arrival. Also, all vaccinations must be at least 30 days but not more than one year (possibly less) prior to your pet's arrival. I think the law actually stipulates that the certificate must be approved by an Argentine consulate, but I don't think that provision is enforced. Arriving from Mexico in 2006, I did not have an international certificate of health for my dog at EZE and had to pay an extra "fee" of $100USD in order to avoid quarantine.

Steve is right about the legalization by the Argentine consulate. However, if the issuing country is a signatory of the Hauge Treaty on Abolishing Legalization of Documents it should be apostilled. Even though this might not be enforced, all foreign-issued documents, to be valid in Argentina, must be either apostilled or legalized by the Argentine consulate (if coming from Brazil it's a different story, so if it's the case, just ask).

These are the requirements stated in the govmnt web page I posted earlier.

Admission of pets into Argentina
The requirements to be fulfilled to get dogs and cats into Argentina are the following:
1. Complete information on the owner:
• first and last name;
• country of origin or departure;
• countries in transit (if any);
• address.

2. Information about the animal:
• breed – sex;
• birth date – size;
• weight–fur colour;
• particular signs.

3. Vaccination certificate against rabies for animals over 3 months old.
For animals under 3 months old or that are coming from a country free from rabies and/or where anti–rabies vaccination is prohibited, this situation has to be stated on the certificate issued by the official sanitary authority.

4. Zoosanitary certificate issued by the official sanitary authority of the country of origin that should state:
• that the animal prior to leaving the country had no signs of any infectious–contagious or parasite disease, characteristic of the species.
• if the animal is coming from countries that declare before the International Office of Epizooties (O.I.E.) the presence of african equine pest or Valle del Riff fever, shall certificate that in the area of origin, or where the animal is coming from, and in an area within fifty (50) kilometers of such, there have been no reports of those diseases in the last 12 months or that during that period the animal has not been taken to the affected regions.

5. Quarantine: the animals that fulfill the mentioned requirements will not undergo an import quarantine; if there is a suspicion of infectious–contagious, zoonotic or high risk diseases the SENASA (Servicio Nacional de Sanidad Animal) (National Office of Animal Sanitation) will decide on the means to assure the animal’s isolation and the corresponding sanitary measures.

About the admittance of other species of domestic animals, each particular case has to be dealt with at SENASA, telephone (54–11) 4345–4112/4110.

Govenezia, Our members gave you great advice, which I also appreciate. I have spent months in BA, and the first time we left our doggies in a kennel. One was 30 lbs, he lost 5. The other was 17 lbs, she lost 3. I'm not sure whether the kennel forgot to feed them or whether they didn't eat. Either way, I was horrified. During my last trip, I hired a house sitter. They were fine. Best of luck! Dogs are the best!

We did this last November and it went very smoothly although there are a few small hoops to jump through.

Airplane Regulations. Please check with your airline copiously, especially before you book your tickets or fly. There are rules about how long a dog can be on a flight, what type of carrier they need, how hot or cold the ambient temperature can be, and so on. Make sure your dog will be allowed on the flight(s) before you book your tickets! Also call the airline a day or two before you fly to make sure everything is okay, and show up extra-early at the airport.

Rabies Vaccine. Unlike the US, Argentina does not recognize 3-year rabies vaccines but only 1-year vaccines. Because of this, we got our dog's rabies vaccine updated before going to Bs As. Keep multiple copies of the rabies certificate (and all other documentation) as it is very important. To get on the plane, you'll also need a letter from your vet stating at what temperatures your dog can fly.

Health Certificate. To fly and get past customs, your dog must have a health certificate. Going from the US to Argentina, you can simply have your vet fill it out. When going from Argentina to the US, however, there is a multi-step process.

First, you must go to a vet with your dog and get a certificate
stating that the dog is healthy, has the rabies vaccine, etc. For us, this appointment took 15 minutes and cost 30 pesos. Make copies of this certificate and bring copies of the owner-of-record's passport just in case.
Make sure all the information exactly matches your other documentation (dog's name, birthdate, breed, color, owner, etc.)

Then, take the vet's certificate to the SENASA office, located near the south end of Puerto Madero. You do not need to bring your dog. There, you fill out another form and give them the original vet's certificate. Then pay 33 pesos, and wait a few minutes. They will give you a form that is used to go through customs. This is a very small office with just a few people working at it. They speak minimal English.

Puerto de Buenos Aires, Darsena Sur, Calle Elvira Rawson de Dellepiane s/n esquina Jose Balbin. Tel: 4361-4632 y 4362-5755. Open Monday through Friday from 10 am to 1 pm and 2 pm to 5 pm. Email: [email protected]

That should be it!

Here is a link to more information:

http://www.senasa.gov.ar/contenido.php?to=n&in=739&io=8460

Good luck!

You all have been so wonderful & helpful. I am new, of course, to this site and am overwhelmed by your friendliness. Thanks again

I recently brought my 2 cats from new york.. it was very easy.. I can tell you about the US to BA part. What I dont know is what you have to do to bring the pet back in..

you have to take your dog to the vet and get a document that is from the USDA that attests to the animal's good health..
www.aphis.usda.gov
you have to send that document to the local office and they will certify it and send it back to you. there is a small fee for that.

Each airline has it's own rules. I can tell you about American. They will NOT let pets travel in the cabin to south america. PERIOD. And there is a rule that says that the temperature cannot be above or below a certain number in the departing and arriving city.. (for New York to Buenos Aires that means we can travel with pets only in the spring and the fall). It was explained to me that this is in case the animal is left on the tarmac for an extended period of time, not because of the temperature in the cargo hold.

You have to book a ticket for the pet. and I would speak to more than 1 person at the airlines, because I found that many airline employees were not too familiar with the rules about pets. Although I did find that once I spoke to the right person, I was quite impressed with the care they take with the animals.

Your airline will notify a corresponding person in BA that you are arriving with an animal.. Once you clear immigration, and after you get your bags and your dog, you will see a veterinary person who will take your documentation and take a quick look at your pet. That's all there is to it.. There is no quarantine... nothing.

My vet absolutely said don't drug the cats.. if there is a loss of cabin pressure and they are drugged up, they wont be able to adjust their breathing.

I wouldnt worry too much about sending the animal in cargo.. my cats did fine. It is pressurized and heated. They are happy and healthy and loving la vida loca.
Now if they would only learn Spanish.
hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me if you need to know more.
Wendy

Back