Bringing Electronics into ARG from the States

raus230

Registered
When will it be considered trafficking when you bring electronics into the country?

Luck of the draw.

I brought in 3 Iphones, 1 Blackberry, 1 Ipad, and a MacBook Air and not to mention about $15,000 of luxury womens silk lingerie with tags still on it (not joking and no it wasnt for me, it´s for a local fashion designer) and breezed right through customs while the security lady was playing on her cell phone.

The Chinese couple in front of me in line had the airport police scrutinizing some sort of special kitchen equipment they brought in.

It is the luck of the draw now, as they scan all bags, which wasnt the case a year or so ago.
If you have a foreign passport that also helps, as i brought back a sewing machine for a friend from colombia, and had a whole of electronic crap in my bags, which the customs guy was interested in, but all he did was ask where i was from, and then said i could go.
No so lucky for alot of people infront of me, especially the ones with LCD TV in hugh boxes..

For the past 5 or 6 years, if you are a foreigner, they really will not bother you, unless you are carrying a big box that is obviously new. Even the scanning is sort of a joke, they scan your bags, see all the electronics and wave you through. I guess it is sort of trafficking in the legal sense, but in Argentina it is more like what you can get away with.

A question for those who posted and brought in electronics recently through EZE.... Did you declare them on the aduanas form? Some of them? None of them? Just curious, as I will be traveling in the near future, and I'm not sure what is advisable!

Lauren23 said:
A question for those who posted and brought in electronics recently through EZE.... Did you declare them on the aduanas form? Some of them? None of them? Just curious, as I will be traveling in the near future, and I'm not sure what is advisable!
Are you kidding. Never.

I've bought laptop, replacement hard drives, dremel plus kit etc through from Europe flights to EZE and only ever been asked once by Scanner Man what was going on so I just looked stupid (taken years of practice that has) and replied in English and no problem. La portena also bought back kindle and notebook and not a comment even thought we had story worked out beforehand about how generous her gringo boyfriend is :))

Based on my experience bringing in electronics (and I have a lot!), it is a combo of two things: 1) luck of the draw and the "mood" of the person at the scanner; and 2) if you have quantity and/or original tags or boxes. Quantity and tags or boxes indicate "resale" and customs does NOT like that at all.

Lauren23 said:

I flew in from Rome a few days ago, and they didn't even give us aduanas forms to fill out. Which was a weird but pleasant surprise.

And when it was my turn at the scanner, I didn't place my handbag or jacket on the belt, and wasn't asked to. So any iPhones or Blackberries, I'd recommend just sticking them into your coat or jeans pockets, and carrying them through on your person.

The usually don't bother foreigners. But if they know you are an Argentine resident, they will ask you to show your customs declaration when you left the country (to make sure you are bringing back in the same electronics that you left with).

Back