Bringing my personal electronics to Argentina?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooo...

"50% tax" versus "nothing to worry about"...

The "nothing to worry about" replies seem a bit more realistic to me. Most of those replies were not only people that essentially have the same electronics as me, but most of them admitted to actually going through this process rather recently. The replies warning me of the 50% have gotten my attention, but those responses seemed more speculative than personal experience as I read them.

ghost said:
Bring it but you will only bring half of this stuff back to home.

why would I only bring half of it back home...? I certainly don't plan on walking in public with these items, and most of them will be stored at my friends apartment. Are u referring to thieves, or? Sorry just a bit confused as to how this relates to getting through the airport with a couple thousand dollars worth of personal electronics

steveinbsas said:
Even as a tourist you can only bring new items that do not exceed a maximum of $300 USD duty free.

If your bags are examined, you can expect to pay 50% duty on "new unpackaged" items that are "valued" by the aduana that exceed the $300 limit.

You might be given the "opportunity" to pay less...:rolleyes:

Items which are "new in original packaging" are always subject to scrutiny...and a chance for someone to make a few extra bucks...either the gov above the table...or...;)

How do they determine whether an item is new or used? I try hard to use protective cases and covers to keep my electronics in excellent condition, and to be honest with you some of my items such as my xbox or iPad are basically in new/mint condition...no scratches or tear. I surely do not want to pay 50% on an 800 dollar iPad simply because I keep my items in excellent condition

I don't think you will have any problem. Especially if you have a tourist visa. As long as your devices are yours and not new you will be fine. We never had any problem. My son usually takes his Xbox and laptop in his carry on luggage, only once they are him open his laptop to show its his, and it's used. All of us have 2 iPhones or 2 BB, laptops, cameras,... never a question.
I always make sure new items are not in the original box. Just in case.

On the other hand, a friend of mine had her mom -who was coming for a visit- bring a brand new iMac, in her suitcase, original packing. She had to pay 50% on the #value# minus 300 USD (the amount ou are allowed to bring in).

K thanks...I don't have any original packaging and all my devices have various personal files and photos on them so hopefully it will be fairly easy to tell the devices are mine even if they want me to turn them on.

Zissou said:
Yes, you have up to 500 USD (I believe, could be 300) that you can bring in new anyhow - and there is no tax on personal/ used electronics.

That rule is for Argentines.

I'm a pretty big nerd/geek and love electronics, but leave most of that crap at home!

I'll just give my recent experience. We brought a load of personal electronics undeclared both for us and others from this forum. I was really nervous, but they didn't even flinch we passed our 8 pieces of luggage through the scanners. "Whew! That was easy."

Then, 1 month ago, my family came into town with unopened electronics are Christmas gifts for us. One bag was all electronics. I was worried for them. "Did you have problems as customs?" I asked them. "Nope."

Hope that helps.

Just don't do like my Argentine future mother-in-law did... she and my sister-in-law bought a few cellphones, quite a few perfumes, and some jewelry and put them all in the same bag, in their boxes, and with price tags. They were caught and had to pay the tax (although I don't know how much or how they handled it.) Basic advice they always gave me was to take the tags off of everything and get rid of the boxes and separate things a bit if you can.

You should be fine. :)

I have to say I don't understand the $300 limit. That is a very low figure... seems like from the 1970s! Just about every piece of electronic equipment costs more than that, nevermind sneakers or clothes. Two new changes of clothes a point-and-shoot camera and you're already over!

you may have an issue with the play 3 if its from the uk and is configured for the pal system

no problem from the us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back