Brutally Beaten in Recoleta

In my book, working without pay is called "volunteering". I tried to do that but choices here are very limited. In the States I used to work as a ride-along interpreter for the police, and also for a firm of pro-bono lawyers helping Hispanic immigrants. Loved every minute of it.

I do have hobbies, and dogs, and a farm in Colonia, but working in a group setting is different.

SaraSara said:
I want to work - don't need to, but I've discovered that being a lady of leisure is not what's cracked up to be.

Sara

Those who have to work usually do not want to. It is only those who have the privilege of not needing to work who can say they work for the pleasure of it.

I've always enjoyed working in a group, even when I HAD to. Such as the two years I worked as a seamstress to put my husband through graduate school.

If anyone knows of volunteering opportunities, please let me know. I tried Greenpeace, but they said they had their own staff, and did not need volunteers. A shortsighted policy, as volunteers not only contribute work but also money....!

However, in my long experience as a volunteer, I've noticed that we were resented and distrusted by paid staff. They thought we were after their jobs, and would only give us the most mindless, boring work they could think of, hoping we would get discouraged and leave. In many cases, it worked. Seems people find hard to believe that someone wants to contribute to the community.

SaraSara said:
I've always enjoyed working in a group, even when I HAD to. Such as the two years I worked as a seamstress to put my husband through graduate school.

If anyone knows of volunteering opportunities, please let me know. I tried Greenpeace, but they said they had their own staff, and did not need volunteers. A shortsighted policy, as volunteers not only contribute work but also money....!

However, in my long experience as a volunteer, I've noticed that we were resented and distrusted by paid staff. They thought we were after their jobs, and would only give us the most mindless, boring work they could think of, hoping we would get discouraged and leave. In many cases, it worked. Seems people find hard to believe that someone wants to contribute to the community.

http://www.bavolunteer.org.ar/
http://www.volunteerabroad.com/Argentina.cfm
http://volunteerbuenosaires.com/
http://www.expanishvolunteer.com/volunteer-programs.php

Matt, I'm really sorry to hear what happened to you.

I have no dog in this silly fight, but need to note that I have no fear of being mugged in the street by a bank/multinational corporation president or board member. I truly believe it's the role of government (of by and for the people) to safeguard its citizens against the excesses of the powerful. It's a shame that's failed here and in the US, but it's as much the fault of the citizenry for remaining ignorant and voting correspondingly as it is the powerful who perpetrate the injustices.

pericles said:
Orwellian remark shows incredible nievety. Lets define theft and robbery and most crimes regarding money are never done by the poor but by the powerful and wealthy. Street crime while very painful does not even constitute 10 percent of the crime that effects people worldwide. Ask the millions of people in the USA who are now homeless due to greedy banks who have turfed them out of the homes and are now living rough. Ask the millions of peasants whose lives and livelihoods have been changed forever when multinational companies destroy their land in the name of progress and business. The poor are demonised but in most cases their poverty is caused by societies greed which allows exploitation to be called just business when the real name is slavery .

enjoyingmylife said:
Matt, I'm really sorry to hear what happened to you.

I have no dog in this silly fight, but need to note that I have no fear of being mugged in the street by a bank/multinational corporation president or board member. I truly believe it's the role of government (of by and for the people) to safeguard its citizens against the excesses of the powerful. It's a shame that's failed here and in the US, but it's as much the fault of the citizenry for remaining ignorant and voting correspondingly as it is the powerful who perpetrate the injustices.

The problem is that your government has been hijacked by the very same people who you suggest they should guard you against. It doesn't matter if you vote for the Democrats or the Republicans as they have infiltrated both parties. What you need is another revolution.

I walk home every night from my job at Buller in Recoleta and I take Vincent Lopez up Pueyredon between 3 and 5am.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll make sure to watch my back.

I read about your experience with doctors in your blog.

The Hospital Italiano has the best physicians in Argentina - it's a teaching hospital, and doctors from all over South America go over there to get their training.

The Hospital de Clinicas is also excellent, but it is a public hospital and very crowded.

The British and German hospitals are in more modern buildings, but not all their physicians are top notch.

orwellian said:
The problem is that your government has been hijacked by the very same people who you suggest they should guard you against. It doesn't matter if you vote for the Democrats or the Republicans as they have infiltrated both parties. What you need is another revolution.

I agree with you for the most part there, but if our people were more aware of this, they could simply vote for appropriate candidates in primaries (the elections to determine those on the final ballot), or for "third party" candidates.

The situation would have to get far, far worse for any sort of physical revolution. Simply look how bad it is here, and how far away the people are from such a thing. People are simply too complacent to do much more than complain.

My preferred revolution would be a constitutional amendment
completely overhauling campaign finance, leveling the field for underfunded candidates via mandatory media exposure, and banning donations by anyone other than individuals, and limiting those to some % of the national median income. Until then, we are doomed to more of the same.

We should also have term limits for federal positions, and rewrite the stupid congressional rules that allow powerful committee heads (and others) to hijack legislation unless they get their pork-barrel pet projects included.

SaraSara said:

If you wanted to volunteer for the right reasons and not only for your own egotistical reasons you would apply for a paid job within these organisations and then turn around and anonymously donate your salary back to the organisation.

Back