Brutally Beaten in Recoleta

orwellian said:
Not all poor people commit crime but those who do are almost all poor.

This isn't even remotely true.

steveinbsas said:
Please keep in mind that this happened at three AM, and within a block or two of the "tenderloin" district of Recoleta. Matt was undoubtedly in the wrong place at the wrong time, and by his own admission, erred when he didn't have the cab take him directly to his front door.

We can all learn form this.

PS: I have been incredibly poor (broke and homeless) in my adult life, but I never resorted to crime...not even shoplifting a sandwich. I am just one among many millions in that category.

To say that poverty cause crime isn't accurate.

Crime in the US during the depression did not skyrocket..or increase significantly.

It's a question of values, usually instilled by the family.

Exactly! I was also poor, not homeless, but close (I was eating plain spaghetti and drank only tap water so that I had money left to pay for rent), but robbing people or shoplifting never even crossed my mind. It annoys me when some people make excuses for criminals. So what that the "kids" are poor? Should that make their victims feel better or even induce feelings of guilt?

Let me rephrase that: most people who rob and steal are poor AND don't want to work. Plenty of poor kids make a living by delivering pizzas or restocking supermarket shelves.

Orwellian remark shows incredible nievety. Lets define theft and robbery and most crimes regarding money are never done by the poor but by the powerful and wealthy. Street crime while very painful does not even constitute 10 percent of the crime that effects people worldwide. Ask the millions of people in the USA who are now homeless due to greedy banks who have turfed them out of the homes and are now living rough. Ask the millions of peasants whose lives and livelihoods have been changed forever when multinational companies destroy their land in the name of progress and business. The poor are demonised but in most cases their poverty is caused by societies greed which allows exploitation to be called just business when the real name is slavery .

SaraSara said:
Let me rephrase that: most people who rob and steal are poor AND don't want to work. Plenty of poor kids make a living by delivering pizzas or restocking supermarket shelves.

Who wants to work?

pericles said:
Orwellian remark shows incredible nievety. Lets define theft and robbery and most crimes regarding money are never done by the poor but by the powerful and wealthy. Street crime while very painful does not even constitute 10 percent of the crime that effects people worldwide. Ask the millions of people in the USA who are now homeless due to greedy banks who have turfed them out of the homes and are now living rough. Ask the millions of peasants whose lives and livelihoods have been changed forever when multinational companies destroy their land in the name of progress and business. The poor are demonised but in most cases their poverty is caused by societies greed which allows exploitation to be called just business when the real name is slavery .

Man, sometimes my posts are not very well thought. Let me rephrase again: Most people who commit petty theft and street robberies are poor people.

orwellian said:
Who wants to work?

I want to work - don't need to, but I've discovered that being a lady of leisure is not what's cracked up to be.

Sara

SaraSara said:
I want to work - don't need to, but I've discovered that being a lady of leisure is not what's cracked up to be.

Sara

it gets boring doing nothing after a while

SaraSara said:

Sara

There is a word for working without getting paid, and it's called having a hobby.

Back