Brutally Beaten in Recoleta

Sorry to hear about your ordeal and I'm glad to hear you came out ok. I'm not trying to diminish what happened to you and you have a right to be upset, but when posting those feelings on-line you might want to think about not calling people brown.

121speech said:
I was in a bar near the obelesco in October and the staff there tried to roll me for my money.
3 girls pushed me against the bar while the bouncer stood behind them.
After 10 mins of trying to talk my way out , the bouncer started to push me so i went ballistic on his ass.
Grabbed him by the collar and started pounding his face, then he ran and got a barstool while I was throwing those bitches off me.
He came at me with the barstool which I threw to the side and then kept fighting with him.
Last thing I remember was me climbing up the stairs, the bouncer falling down by my leg and I had 1 girl by the hair on the back of her head. I ran up the stairs and took off. Didn't even get a scratch!
Some of those underground bars are very shady around there.
I prefer to live in Monte video.

You should tell the truth. The only known places where such things can happen are whore houses or strip bars. The modus operandi is always the same, they invite you in to have a free drink and watch some poledance and then they try to charge or they can even beat you up for ur wallet. Don't bother in calling the police, its all fixed.

Now it started to happen also in improvised Tango Bars. You should have a third eye in your neck always alert and never stop to answer any who engages you on the street. NEVER. This kind of stuff happens a lot with people coming from the provinces or foreigners.

BSS said:
Sorry to hear about your ordeal and I'm glad to hear you came out ok. I'm not trying to diminish what happened to you and you have a right to be upset, but when posting those feelings on-line you might want to think about not calling people brown.

But I assume that it WOULD be ok if it were me that attacked Matt for him to say a "white" guy attacked him?

Total bs

Thanks everybody! I mean it.
Even Orwellian accidentally slipped some sort of support!

Sorry if I offended someone by the description of my attacker, maybe I should have reacted this way: please just watch the first 50 seconds of this episode.

victoria said:
Dear Matt,

I so empathize with your situation ... my son and I have both been crime victims here. It's no fun to be victimized, and you got beat up to boot!

The attitude of, "that's life in the big city" makes it seem that being a crime victim is no big deal. Let me tell you, it has lasting effects. Paranoia, anger, wanting revenge, knowing nothing will be done ... it also assures that that visitor will probably never return (more about that later).

As far as describing the attackers as "brown," that's pertinent information. We know they're not black, white or Asian. As a former police reporter, that's as important to know as the fact that they are young.

We also know they work in groups, attack from behind, ask for a cigarette to approach you (which is how my son got robbed at gunpoint), work late, and don't hesitate to attack in an intersection. All very useful information. Thank you Matt. We all must watch each other's backs.

Buenos Aires is literally shooting itself in the foot for not attempting to remedy the crime situation. This is going to IMPLODE the tourism business when word gets out. You can imagine the economic implications for the city.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

citygirl said:
I'm so sorry to hear about this and hope you are feeling a bit better.:(

did you report it to the police?

Thanks girl, no I called 911 twice that night. The operator sounded bored and rather exasperated by my account (and I speak perfect Spanish, so it wasn't that). The next day I told the story to the cop that stands in the corner but unfortunately he's only there when that café is open (coincidence? corporativism? you decide) so he wasn't that moved by my story nor the blood on my forehead. I still don't know whether to actually go tot he station and report it or not. Seems like a waste of time just to add a figure to some statistic......

bloody_bloo said:
"brown".

Matt if you consider it helpful I offer myself to accompany you.

Yes please accompany me, that would make me feel a lot less emasculated.

steveinbsas said:
Like everyone esle here, I am sorry this happened, but if you were crossing Pueyerredon towards the British Embassy you were already out of the official boundry of Recoleta, but that is a very minor point. .

The area around the British Embassy (La Isla) is fine during the day but is deserted at night...except for the parasites preying on the tourists who had no idea how dangerous it is to stay or even walk there.

Not a minor point for me it's not. Geography and maps are my life. Recoleta's border to the North is not Pueyrredon but Coronel Diaz (then at Palermo Chico, the railways and Tagle st). La Isla is within Recoleta, and that's why I called the location one of the two wealthiest parts of Rec. (the other being South-East of the Cementery, Alvear, Quintana. The Southern Border of Recoleta is Callao, so actually Patio Bullrich, the Four Seasons, French and Brazilian Embassy are all in Retiro.

La Isla is beautiful at night, but only within. That street Agote where the Brit Embassy's located is a hellhole!

As pointed out earlier the refurbishing of Village has not made the situation better.

I used to live in Centro, I'm only staying temporarily at Recoleta at some relatives'.

oh and indeed that small strip of square with Rawson's statue is a public urinal / sleeping quarters. The sq meter goes up to 3000, because it's that chic.:p

I'm alright, just as Victoria pointed out, went first through paranoia (still there), anger, wanting revenge, and now that it doesn't hurt anymore (a little when I chew), just indifference towards those charming residents of this city's cozy upscale streets.

BSS said:

I'm over 50 and I have been robbed once, assaulted twice, and have had my home invaded three times (in three countries).

All of the perps were brown.

For the sake of equality, I hope the next six perps are white.

Even though four of my last six girlfriend's weren't, I have yet to become a racist...either way.

markbsas said:
But I assume that it WOULD be ok if it were me that attacked Matt for him to say a "white" guy attacked him?

Total bs

What's wrong with your logic? Not enough plasticity with neurons? Why take so much attention in labeling white, black, brown, what's the point? Can't you see that such things contribute in growing a mob prejudice against a kind? My god you are flat.

I am sorry to hear what happened to you. Truely unexcusable under any circumstances in any city. Petty crime continues to be a major issue in BA and in all major cities around the world. Obiviously, this fact won't cure your bruises.

This story sounds distinctly fishy. What were you doing in such a place?

Sara

121speech said:
I was in a bar near the obelesco in October and the staff there tried to roll me for my money.
3 girls pushed me against the bar while the bouncer stood behind them.
After 10 mins of trying to talk my way out , the bouncer started to push me so i went ballistic on his ass.
Grabbed him by the collar and started pounding his face, then he ran and got a barstool while I was throwing those bitches off me.
He came at me with the barstool which I threw to the side and then kept fighting with him.
Last thing I remember was me climbing up the stairs, the bouncer falling down by my leg and I had 1 girl by the hair on the back of her head. I ran up the stairs and took off. Didn't even get a scratch!
Some of those underground bars are very shady around there.
I prefer to live in Monte video.

I live on Libertador, across from Kansas. Nice area, security in every building, etc. A friend of mine was stabbed for his watch across the street from my apartment a year ago. Another friend had her car stolen in front of my apartment. I saw a guy get bashed over the head with a wooden board in Las Canitas by a street kid.

Glad I read this thread now! Maybe I was tempting fate...

I agree that this sort of behaviour is part and parcel of city living in any country but up until now I thought BA was safer than even my small home town in England (where negotiating your way around a brawl to get to the bar is standard practice). There is after all far more of a police presence here. Although maybe that's just a good way for the government to lower the unemployment rate.

Here's a very suitable tune which ironically started playing on my itunes when I was writing this reply: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1NyWbhCxZE

mitver said:
I am sorry to hear what happened to you. Truely unexcusable under any circumstances in any city. Petty crime continues to be a major issue in BA and in all major cities around the world. Obiviously, this fact won't cure your bruises.

Being beaten is not a petty crime, especially when it happens to you.

Back