Brutally Beaten in Recoleta

orwellian said:
Why do you want to risk your life attacking the robbers? Just give them what they ask for and walk away.

Because it may not just be a simple robbery ... I don't care to be raped, beaten senseless or murdered (and let's throw kidnapping in there as well, since some people are forced into cars to drive to ATMs. It must be terrifying wondering if you will then be killed).

victoria said:
Because it may not just be a simple robbery ... I don't care to be raped, beaten senseless or murdered (and let's throw kidnapping in there as well, since some people are forced into cars to drive to ATMs. It must be terrifying wondering if you will then be killed).

Wow! If you really feel that unsafe in BA, perhaps you should reconsider living here. Minnesota must be a safer alternative...in spite of the cold, snow, collapsing infrastructure, and ever increasing numbers of immigrants with ties to countries that want to destroy the USA.

I have seriously considered leaving this city.

I don't understand the attitude of just roll over and take it ... defending yourself is not "attacking." Trying to ascertain whether someone is going to do you serious harm is something we all have to do to survive in a crime situation.

I think most people who think it will come down to this would fight for their life. Perhaps now is the time to share that I once lived in the inner city of Detroit, and that was the reality of being a crime victim.

Perhaps women feel more vulnerable in general, so we have to be more prepared.

victoria said:
I have seriously considered leaving this city.

I don't understand the attitude of just roll over and take it ... defending yourself is not "attacking." Trying to ascertain whether someone is going to do you serious harm is something we all have to do to survive in a crime situation.

I think most people who think it will come down to this would fight for their life. Perhaps now is the time to share that I once lived in the inner city of Detroit, and that was the reality of being a crime victim.

Perhaps women feel more vulnerable in general, so we have to be more prepared.

Everything you wrote is understandable, but keep in mind that it is ILLEGAL to hit a minor in Argentina...even in self defense.

My philosophy: zap'em with a stun gun (if they don't steal it first and use it on you) and get the hell out of there!!

And if one more thing happens to me I will break my lease and leave, just like I left Detroit.

I have to say interesting stats posted by IStar and I was shocked by Argentinas statistics as on the street level I have found it reasonably safe.
I agree that many people do not report crime especially the real victims of assault and petty theft . Also I would like to note that many also report crime as a way of making monies or defaming other people just for the fun of it . This is more common in Argentina than anywhere in the world as neighbourly disputes are grossly exaggerated via denunicias.

The other issue is false kidnappings to get monies from family or partners . I find it deplorable that people do this but once again its very common in Argentina as told by me by many police.

victoria said:
And if one more thing happens to me I will break my lease and leave, just like I left Detroit.

I sincerely hope that nothing happens to make you want to leave.

victoria said:

For rape and murder I understand. Was dating this Mexican girl who had that ATM thing happen to her. She got some pepper spray but managed to permanently damage her eyes when she tried to spray a friend who she thought was attacking her.
I'd tell you were to buy it if I knew. But I got mine in Spain.

pikto99, are you serious?

igor said:
If you click on second tab, there is Per capita information.
Argentina is missing from the list somehow, but probably it should be above Spain and way above the United States.

Spain
Robberies: 497,262
Population: 46 mln
Robberies per 1000 people: 10.8

Argentina
Robberies: 469,899
Population: 40 mln
Robberies per 1000 people: 11.7

United States
Robberies: 420,637
Population: 308 mln
Robberies per 1000 people: 1.4

Take a look on the right side of the page under Robberies: It does list Argentina number 1 out of 47

Robberies 469,899
[1st of 47]

Back