Brutally Beaten in Recoleta

Those statistics are disturbing. They contradict the oft repeated expat insistence that BA is a safe or relatively safe city and that there is just as much crime in other cities around the world. I agree with the poster who said that a lot of crime is NOT reported in Argentina and that comparatively far MORE crime IS reported in the US. Of course that means that BA is really a much more dangerous city than even the statistics show. A lot of the Porteños I know don't want to report crimes because they don't trust the police, don't want the police coming around their homes to see what they might have to steal. The crime situation has really exploded under the Kirchner administrations. There is a widespread sense of lawlessness abetted by a government that has ZERO respect for the rule of law and considers any punishment a violation of human rights.

pandulf.ironhead said:
But if it is, so what? What's worse, being called "racist" by dimwit internet warriors, or being dead?

Ironhead? Seems to fit.

sergio said:
The crime situation has really exploded under the Kirchner administrations.

Any proof of that? I'd like to see that statistics. Can it be that the high crime rates dates back from the economical crisis?

orwellian said:
Any proof of that? I'd like to see that statistics. Can it be that the high crime rates dates back from the economical crisis?

Economical crisis are no more than a higher level o crime. Here: devaluations, elsewhere: bailouts to "save" financial gamble masters or greedy bankers. If you cant afford a loan you will be expelled from the system but if the bank can't tax payers will support them.

This other type of crime hast to deal with an exponential social degeneration. 13yo child-mothers giving birth to a flock of next generation of un-civilized that can't know better. This is going on and on, there will be more and more, lineage after lineage of moral and civil degenerated individuals. And of course we can't care less because we are to busy trying not to fall. That's why you can't fight crime by attacking crime, it's pointless.

sergio said:

Don't be fooled by the media. Crime was always an issue, what's important to notice is if it constitutes part of the media holders agenda to expose and corrode the puppet sitting in Casa Rosada.

The guys who robbed him were brown in colour, which could mean they were of Italian or Spanish decent. Although they are European, they are not really white like the Brits or Germans. I think he is just being descriptive. If they were very dark people of African decent, he might have said that, but he didn't. :cool:

bloody_bloo said:
Don't be fooled by the media. Crime was always an issue...

Not entirely true:

"Government statistics show that crime fell 73 per cent between 1988 and 1992 in Buenos Aires but rose 286 per cent between 1992 and 1995. In 1995 the former President, Carlos Menem had been re-elected amid international praise for achieving low inflation, privatising state-run companies and the currency peg. Argentina, Menem liked to boast, had become part of the First World."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2242/is_1668_286/ai_n14709975/

The more I read about Argentina the more I find that the problems date back to the neo-liberal era. But the majority of the posters here on the forum always blame the current president for it. I really don't understand how you people reason.

I was here through the Menem period and it was a LOT safer. The crime problem DID explode as a result of the economic crisis, so I have to agree that it is not all the fault of the Kirchners though they have definitely made it worse with their permissive attitude.

This is an fascinating thread for so many reasons. Mostly because I'm a few days from finally landing down there, and one of my original concerns was the whole getting kidnapped at gunpoint and having my ring finger mailed to my parents. This thread is making it clear to me that BA is a much more dangerous place than I originally gave it credit for. (This coming from a 6' 1" 200lb. dude who lives in Brooklyn now, and went to school a few feet from the Cass Corridor in downtown Detroit).

I figured that if I have gone 35 years between those two places without so much as a scratch, then BA shouldn't be too much of a threat to me. However, I am starting to re-think my thinking. It's not so much that I am concerned about some 15-year-old "brown" kids, but because there is nothing more dangerous than a place where the police have no interest in policing. This sounds like a sad situation, and one that I am suddenly not looking forward to dealing with.

Anyway, I did want to make a few points and pose a few questions to the wily veterans of this forum and BA.

To start, I just wanted to say to anyone who is trying to decide whether or not they should buy some sort of device to protect themselves, don't even hesitate. The idea that it is somehow wise to not practice (or at least prepare) some sort of self-defense is just bad advice. Obviously one would want to use some common sense and not use pepper spray against some guy with a gun... but to suggest that leaving the house without any protection at all is a better idea than having some sort of security is not only bad advise, its irresponsible advise. If you are a woman living in BA or any other potentially dangerous city, please go get a whistle and some pepper spray ASAP.

I remember reading a funny post a while back about expats trying to come up with a reason to picket. Perhaps this would be a good place to start.

In most neighborhoods in Detroit or New York where crime is on the rise, and the police are either useless or not available, communities are organizing themselves to police themselves. They post signs that let thugs know that it is not OK to
commit crimes in their neighborhoods, they organize neighborhood watches and agree to keep an eye out for one another. It sounds to me like this might be a good idea for certain neighborhoods within BA. I do know this, if the police wont police, and the people wont police, then the punk-ass kids will win. However, even a small effort of self-policing can work wonders in terms of discouraging them from operating in a given area. I have not been on this forum for very long, but one thing that I have noticed is that most people on here seem to be genuinely interested in helping others, and for the most part, everyone is very civil. Maybe I'm an optimist, but I would think it possible to make a difference.

My question to the veteran expats down there is this... Have I lost my mind? Is the idea of gathering and organizing in an effort to make a difference worthwhile?

I'd be interested to find out.

Cheers!- Robert

PS- I hope you're feeling better Matt.

sergio said:
That's actually oft repeated but completely untrue. Levels of property crime and violent crime were higher during the fabulous nineties but I think everyone was too busy shopping to worry about it. Honestly, some of the fear, loathing and misinformation I've read on this thread and others recently. Do some of you expats not think you've assimilated a little too well?

Back