Buenoes Aires #1 City In Central & South America

So what is everyone's top 5 to live, it might influence my future movements !! I'm interested in cost vs value and attractiveness, would help if I could buy things online in the USA and get them shipped without having correo argentina seize my t-shirts.

Not travelled enough to say...working on it! I wasn't crazy about the idea of living in Sao Paulo, we both have job offers there but turned more money down. If it was another city in Brazil we'd certainly have been more tempted.

Rosario would be a great city if someone could run the narcos out of town.

I'd give Mendoza a nomination. If I had to live permanently in Argentina, it might be my preference.

Not travelled enough to say...working on it! I wasn't crazy about the idea of living in Sao Paulo, we both have job offers there but turned more money down. If it was another city in Brazil we'd certainly have been more tempted.

Rosario would be a great city if someone could run the narcos out of town.

Unless someone was willing to offer me millions, Sao Paulo is completely out of the question for me too.

I'd easily say that out of all the places in South America I've been, I could most easily see myself living in the Santiago area. In Argentina, I'd say Bariloche or Salta capital. I love buenos aires but the weather is wretched and there is absolutely nothing to do outdoors around here except go out on the river.

I'd easily say that out of all the places in South America I've been, I could most easily see myself living in the Santiago area. In Argentina, I'd say Bariloche or Salta capital. I love buenos aires but the weather is wretched and there is absolutely nothing to do outdoors around here except go out on the river.

Santiago has a great climate but, like Los Angeles, it lies in a smog-prone basin. On the other hand, you're barely an hour from skiing, hiking and whitewater in the Andes, even closer to vineyards and wineries (some within the city limits), and not much farther from a stunning coastline and surfing (admittedly, the Pacific is colder the Atlantic, but that makes the seafood great).

Which city is the best is pretty subjective. I think there are also great cities to visit, and then there are cities to live. I think Buenos Aires is an amazing city to visit for a while, with tons of interesting things to do and see, not to mention Argentina in general. But living here can be very challenging. It all depends on what you want and I quit reading such lists long ago.

Medellin is absolute winner in any aspect: climate, most friendly people I ever met, costs, housing, transport. The fruit there!
And then Heredia in Costa Rica, Florianopolis in Brazil seems to be special too, gonna there next week to see and watch.
Rosario in Argentina, specially the centre, not the outskirts.

Which city is the best is pretty subjective. I think there are also great cities to visit, and then there are cities to live. I think Buenos Aires is an amazing city to visit for a while, with tons of interesting things to do and see, not to mention Argentina in general. But living here can be very challenging. It all depends on what you want and I quit reading such lists long ago.
The original link with BsAs beiing #1 was about traveling (not living) - but the conversation has shifted to what people think is a good place to live...

I like traveling to BsAs and think it is a great city but could not see myself living there. My other final candidates for Argentina were the Bariloche area and Greater Mendoza. I chose Mendoza and feel it is a great place to live. I think it has a good mix for cultural offerings, night life, shopping, possibilities for outdoor activities etc. etc. for its size. Plus there are some really nice small towns around Mendoza that make great destinations for weekend trips and not to forget all the vineyards here in the region. In winter you have skiing nearby. As a bonus you have the proximity of Chile for buying products that are hard to get or overly expensive in Argentina (electronics, some imported products etc.). Although the Argentinian coast is relatively far away - you have Valparaiso and Viña close enough for a quick weekend trip - in case you feel like going to the beach in summer.

Back