Buenos Aires: A Tale Of Two Cities

gracielle

Registered
2 Dec 2016
http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/223949/buenos-aires-a-tale-of-two-cities

For many, Rivadavia Avenue is the dividing line between two very different versions of the same place — the thriving north and the forgotten south.

I wonder how many expats reside in other neighborhoods besides Recoleta, Palermo, and Belgrano? Or how many have crossed the "dividing line" to visit the "other" barrios?

Athough I'm not sure if I am technically an expat or a long time foreign resident (antiguo residente),I have lived in 5 of the 100 "barrios porteños" or Gran Buenos Aires.
Barrio Norte,Congreso,Acassuso (GBA),Haedo (GBA) and finally SanTelmo where I will most likely "estirar la pata ---- stretch out my foot ". Argie slang for "end my days".
I prefer the "barrios populares" as being more genuinely friendly and neighborhood oriented than the higher end ones.I despise pretension and you get a whole lot of that in the Northern Area.One expat told me that the only time he saw San Telmo was when driving south he saw the domes or cupulas of the Russiian Cathedral near my app't. from the highway.What a pity!
Just like Brooklyn,San Telmo is back .Last Saturday night was rehearsal for Carnival with people 8 to 80 out and participating.Lookin' good and up,san Telmo!

2 Dec 2016
http://www.buenosair...e-of-two-cities

For many, Rivadavia Avenue is the dividing line between two very different versions of the same place — the thriving north and the forgotten south.

I wonder how many expats reside in other neighborhoods besides Recoleta, Palermo, and Belgrano? Or how many have crossed the "dividing line" to visit the "other" barrios?

10 years in Caballito. Not an English speaker in sight and lots of small local friendly businesses with which to build relationships. Just like living in a village in a way. No regrets.Palermo at easy walking distance for better shopping and dining options.

Noesdeayer....you qualify x 2 !

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I prefer the "barrios populares" as being more genuinely friendly and neighborhood oriented than the higher end ones.I despise pretension and you get a whole lot of that in the Northern Area.One expat told me that the only time he saw San Telmo was when driving south he saw the domes or cupulas of the Russiian Cathedral near my app't. from the highway.What a pity![/background]

I agree. That is why I chose to purchase in Caballito and have been very happy living here.

fifs2.....[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]10 years in Caballito. Not an English speaker in sight and lots of small local friendly businesses with which to build relationships. Just like living in a village in a way. No regrets.Palermo at easy walking distance for better shopping and dining options. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Exactly![/background]

I have lived in two places prior to last Saturday, in the 10 years I've been in Argentina. Garin and Recoleta.

Garin (about 15 kilometers towards the city from Pilar, or about 40 kilometers north of the city on Panamericana highway, the Pilar branch) was a nice place, but unfortunately I didn't know very much when I moved out there in 2008, and ended up returning in 2010, to Recoleta. The reason I mention that is because I thought, back then, that I wanted to live more like I did in the States, in a "nice" neighborhood with a two-story house, a pool and kids playing in the streets. I chose a small closed neighborhood of 50 lots and thought I'd be happy. I did love the house and the pool, and my office had a sliding glass door that lead out to the pool, a yard with grass and all that - but Noesdeayer has it when he talks about pretension. I've never met a bunch of snootier, stuck-up, almost mercenary (that has to do with a little side business one of the housewives had there, which I won't go into here) and in many cases outright racist people in one place.

I would have stayed out in Garin, moved into a real neighborhood outside of one of those bubbles of surreal-ness of the closed neighborhoods, but my wife is too much of a city girl, doesn't drive (and never will, due to a childhood accident in a bus in Paraguay) and she really, really wanted to move into the city again. So we moved to Recoleta and stayed there for the next 6 or so years. I will mention here that I was never particularly happy in Recoleta, but it was close to where my wife worked and the people were not as snooty (simply because there were more people of varying varieties) than out in the closed neighborhood I lived in.

But I still wasn't all that happy with Recoleta itself.

Ever since I moved out to Garin, I've always known large parts of the city - and the environs outside, simply because I had a car and could travel easily. It's one of the reasons I was outspoken here (and wherever anyone would listen to me) against Cristina and the effects of her "inclusive" policies, which really were anything but.

I do know expats who know nothing of the city except Recoleta, Microcenter, Palermo and maybe a bit of Belgrano. They live in an expat and upper-class Argentine bubble, there's no doubt about it.

We just moved, this past Saturday, to Boedo. And really, literally on the border of Boedo and Parque Patricios and Nueva Pompeya (although to be fair, the border of Parque Patricios is actually three blocks away from my new apartment but across Caseros, the street on which I now live, is Nueva Pompeya :) ).

I admit to not knowing much about La Boca (which the article talked about). I've driven through it a few times and it looks a lot like the neighborhood I see in Nueva Pompeya, and which I drove through a lot in Barracas for the last two weeks as I was going back and forth between the new apartment and Easy to buy construction materials for the new apartment (we had to build out a few rooms before we moved in).

I like the neighborhood where I am now, although I was trying to get more into Parque Patricios itself. We know people who live in PP and it's a very nice neighborhood for families, but it is very, very difficult to find big apartments or houses to live in because they are all occupied. But what I really love about this area is that people are, for the most part, fairly nice. Before we even actually moved, I needed a cartridge for my printer. We had just signed the contract on the apartment and I realized that on Av Boedo (our other primary intersection street) there was a printer shop. I walked in, bought a cartridge (really fairly cheap! laser printer cartridge, b&w, for 280 pesos) and had a nice conversation with the older gentlemen who owned the shop. I've had similar experiences in the weeks before I moved and in the days since I moved.

But about 10 blocks or maybe a bit more from us (I haven't counted either on the map or driving) is the Riachuelo Matanza River. There is a really cool bridge at the other end of Av Saenz (continuation of Av. Boedo into Nueva Pompeya) where it crosses the river. It looks like a church of some sort (I'm not much on architectural styles - it looks kind of like a church to me, but maybe not. it's a facade on the bridge itself, facing the road - you drive into it). The bridge is in extremely poor condition and to me it is a good metaphor of leaving the city and going into the province, at least in many areas to the west and south. You have to practically crawl over the bridge it is such poor repair.

9dc2cd5eb51d72d19fdfaa4a4ae31e54.jpg

This image is a picture of the bridge as you see it leaving Nueva Pompeya. I don't know when this was taken, but the road doesn't look anywhere near this nice - I've crossed it probably 20 times in the last month!

You cross into Valentin Alsina, in the province and things are just suddenly different. Broken road, left over from construction projects that were started and either never finished or finished but the road never repaired afterward (maybe they were fixing a water main or something, who knows). Poor housing mixed with lower income housing. I've known about the area for a few years as it's where my brothers-in-law and their families moved to find affordable housing that wasn't in a "hotel" or pension, which is about the only way lower income families can live in the city.

However, there is a villa nearby, on the city side (I believe, I've never seen it personally and not sure exactly where it is - my brothers-in-law also talk of a villa on their side of the river). The inhabitants of this wonderful place often go over to the bridge, the only place anywhere nearby to cross the river, and cut access to cross. They protest apparently because they get electricity to their villa cut off, or for whatever other reason they feel that they need to horribly affect the working people of the area.

Corte-grupo-cartoneros-interrumpe-circulacion_ZONIMA20120614_0168_6.jpg

The bridge, cut off by protestors...

Imagine people exhausted after having worked a 10 or 12 hour (or longer in some cases) day, riding an hour, hour and a half or even two hours to get through the city (where they work, because there sure as hell isn't much work where they live, and they live there because it's all they can afford), often crossing through other demonstrations in the city by other idiots who want to cut off 9 de Julio, or Rivadavia, etc, to prove some point they have to all the hard-working people of the city - then they get near their home and find out they have to walk the last 2 or 3 three kilometers home because these idiots from the villa are blocking the bridge.

This, to me, is the other half of the city (even though it be in the province). Or the really, really poor places in Jose C Paz where people have bought land legally from people who have reclaimed abandoned land (I have a sister-in-law who lives out there).

Very few expats have been to these places, I think, or much less even know about them. Rivadavia is indeed a dividing line within the city itself and there are places to the north that don't include Microcenter, Recoleta, Palermo and Belgrano and are not poor - are actually quite nice to live in. I saw more of this recently when I was looking in places like Villa Devoto, Villa Luro, Saavedra, for a decent place to live at a reasonable price and with a little bit of space for 5 people.

But crossing Rivadavia is only one change, and fairly minor in my opinion. Cross Riachuelo or General Paz (the loop around part of the city) and there's a jump even bigger. They still consider themselves as living in Buenos Aires, even though it's not CABA. But they are very forgotten as well as far as the maintenance of roads and other infrastructure goes, and large amounts of serious poverty,

I do enjoy my barrio norte location, and I dont find it pretentious- I know the lots of locals, the third generation owners of the knitting store, the adult children of the 90 year old flower vendor, and my neighbors are young and old, obviously not poor, but hardly rich. Cordoba, for example, hardly seems "pretentious" to me.
But I am nicely situated away from trendy Palermo and rico Recoleta.

But unlike many extranjeros, I have visited many of the other barrios- I have made treks on the collectivo to Avellenada, and Remedios de Escalante, for example, to visit railroad museums, I have been out to mataderos to wholesalers, I have wandered the streets of Parque Patricios marvelling at the art deco houses, I have spent a lot of time in San Telmo, usually go to La Boca once a month or so, and have ended up in various other oddball barrios either shopping for specific things, looking at particular architecture, or just wandering.
I love Barracas, its industrial history and its architecture. I
I have been across that marvelous bridge, but only in a collectivo.
I did go to Villa Soldati once, with a friend, to visit the best mechanic in Buenos Aires for micro cars, things like messerschmidts and Heinkels and Isettas.

In Parque Patricios, I love this old mercado, now relegated to a parking garage. All around there are great houses, wonderful metalwork, and a really interesting restaurant, Bar Urondo, on Beauchef. Great food, including, sometimes, if you ask, homemade kimchi.
http://callealavista.blogspot.com.ar/2011/12/nada-mas-queda-viejo-mercado-moreno.html

Its true, I havent spent time in the really poor, residential barrios- but unless you live there, why would you?

There is a show I would love to see tonight in Haedo- but I have no car, and the collectivo takes an hour and a half- and I just dont want to take it back home at 1 am.
(the great Diego Frenkel is playing in an irish bar on Rivadavia- if you live nearby, he is a great singer songwriter)

Funnily enough, the places I hardly ever go are the wealthy northern suburbs. I have a couple of friends I visit once in a while in Beccar, and I must admit that those neighborhoods creep me out- I am just not interested in a pale imitation of euro/USA wealth, with fancy auto dealers and expensive hamburger restaurants, and designer strollers on every corner.
I much prefer to travel to southern barrios, when I have the excuse.

Ries:
Doesn't the train go to Haedo from Once any more? In 1968 I used to commute from Haedo .The station is only about 3 blocks from Rivadavia.I agree with you I wouln't take a colectivo either.Does the Lujanera long distance Bus still run?

I have been to all of the barrios of BA but was raised in barrio Norte and Palermo where I still currently live.
Yes it has changed in the last decade or so but am thrilled with the location, public transportation and easy access to where I mostly go.
Being a home owner in a great location in a great building, why would I go elsewhere?

...Its true, I havent spent time in the really poor, residential barrios- but unless you live there, why would you?...

BTW - you're absolutely correct about not necessarily visiting poor residential barrios unless you live there. I hope I didn't come across sounding too (I'm tired, can't think of the word to use here) in my text about that. More than anything I was thinking specifically about the article that was linked to originally and the specific example of La Boca, which to me has some spirit to it at least, and which what I've seen of Alsina and Lanus and Jose C Paz (at least the really poor parts) don't seem to have that spirit and demonstrate that "ignored" feeling much better. And truly, I'd think most expats don't get out to various places as much as you seem to have :)

...Funnily enough, the places I hardly ever go are the wealthy northern suburbs. I have a couple of friends I visit once in a while in Beccar, and I must admit that those neighborhoods creep me out- I am just not interested in a pale imitation of euro/USA wealth, with fancy auto dealers and expensive hamburger restaurants, and designer strollers on every corner.
I much prefer to travel to southern barrios, when I have the excuse.

Yeah, that's a good way to put it. Creepy and pale imitation. I guess what gets it for me are that it's the rich here that have many things that economically average (or below) people in the US and Europe have and seem to flaunt it like it's something special...while my brothers-in-law live in a cheap place with a smelly carniceria in front of their one-story building, carrying their young 'uns on the hip because they can't afford a baby stroller - and even if they could, they couldn't get it on and off the bus and it would get torn up on the streets there, etc...

We just opened a verduleria today in Alsina, alongside that smelly meat shop in front of the building where my brothers-in-law live. The owner of the carniceria is one of the nicest and helpful people I've ever met, considering we started off as complete strangers who happened to rent the space next door. He's given us so many tips on conducting business there, good contacts for inexpensive (and good) services, even selling us an extra scale he had, at a very good price, to let customers weigh their purchases before we weigh it officially so they know how much they're buying ahead of time.

It's funny how the nicest people here seem to be among the poorest - at least among those who are hard-working.

Back