Buenos Aires crime rate

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to SA, I was not thinking of poverty as a cause of crime but of revenge of injuries suffered during the apartheid.Coetzee (Have you read him?) puts it that way.

"bf4" said:
as to who made the question of Paco's financing it is extremely cheap it can be financed with whatever: eg.
I used to go jogging for more than ten years from my home (facing shopping PA) to River football stadium. I guess that I have done this for more than 10 years since I was 15.
3 months ago just facing the Rosedal below the bridge some teens or even younger one of them was no more than eight grabbed a tiny cheap necklace that I wore, that couldn't have been resold for more than $ 50 pesos, I hate exp. and noticeable jewelry and I belong here so I now that you cannot go out jogging showing off exp. items. As to argentines so called egocentrism or selfishness on the spot (even if it is very difficult to park there because Figueroa Alcorta kind of gives a turn) more than 10 cars immediately stopped to offer some help.

I don't recall any attitude of this kind in the USA. And I was at a loss more than once: starting the day of my arrival at Ronald Reagan, with the S.U.V. that I had rented from BA on recall (I couldn't understand what recall meant and the young lady at Avis wouldn't bother putting it in other words), thousands of incidents of getting lost on the I95-tremendously scared-, with nobody giving me any instruction as to how to go back, yes american politeness...they call it...after three years both my ex and I got back with the conclusion "Cada cual hace la suya", "Cada cual atiende su juego"

Instead, take a typical argentine attitute: First thing I did was to put EVERYBODY on guard of what was going on below the train/bridge (many american still jogg with IPOD, this is not Connecticut Park guys), and I am no saint or hero........

And then the USA bears another form of violence (for me it is worse and non comprehensible), shooters, snippers who one day just because they feel so, they open fire at a mall, convention center, commercial offices (very often they have been fired), typical of the USA: violence because of violence ? How do you explain this Mr. paul? Should there be any explanation....I find none or yes I find it back in the roots of american society........I am not going to deny our miseries but northamericans are worse, so many lunatics and from such a tender age...Gosh! What kind of society "creates" these monsters? I might have an answer or two but I'm in a rush
About 70% of all Paco addicts steal to get money. Maybe you should read some reports.
Car-jacking at gun point is also an enourmos problem in Argentina and my guess it's not harder in Argentina to get a gun then it is in the USA(it is however a lot harder in Europe) and Argentina also had there share of Random shootings and I am sure it's higher in Argentina if you relate it to the size of the population

About 70% of all Paco addicts steal to get money. Maybe you should read some reports.
Car-jacking at gun point is also an enourmos problem in Argentina and my guess it's not harder in Argentina to get a gun then it is in the USA(it is however a lot harder in Europe) and Argentina also had there share of Random shootings and I am sure it's higher in Argentina if you relate it to the size of the population
To the above poster can you please show us the statistics that show that random shootings are higher in Buenos Aires than United States per population.
Crime figures which are very easy to obtain consistely prove that United States per head of population has 6 to 7 times the risk of being randomly injured or murdered than Argentina.

Paul,
Maybe you should stroll around Anacostia, Hialey, or little Havanna to feel safe:).
And then please don't deny what can't be discussed. I am 32 and so far in Argentina there has been no one incident of lunatics opening fire at malls or office centers at coworkers because they have been fired (and most surely the explanation doesn't stems from our stabilized economy, if not in 12/2001 our population would have been decimated:). Only one episode of high school shooting against how many in the States? I would fill endless posts to mention them all, Colorado, California, the latest one at the Amish School in Pennsylvania.
What I am mentioning reveals that American Society is a profound violent society, product of dysfunctional families, anguished individuals (Prozac sells as candy), unraveled competition from the crib, lonely individuals in big cities with no safety networks and no permanent relationships (they move from town to town as they change underwear). Better opportunities on the west coast then we all move to the west, and so on. This results in a profound void which can't be disguised with extra miles, a bigger home in the suburbs with a mega garage to stock unneeded items nor with the annual car upgrade.
Sam Mendez did a wonderful job depicting American Society in American Beauty. We would need one American Beauty every now and then so that the whole world can learn what living in the States is all about.
Have good night
B.

Some Crime Statistics sources...
Us: http://www.whitehouse.gov/fsbr/crime.html
UK: http://www.crimestatistics.org.uk/output/Page1.asp
AU: http://www.aic.gov.au/stats/
Official country websites Many governments maintain websites devoted to that country's statistical agency or department responsible for justice, public safety, and/or law. The websites listed below are a sample of such websites which provide national crime or justice statistics.
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/ijs.htm
• Argentina, National Institute of Statistics and Census • Australia, Australian Bureau of Statistics • Bulgaria National Statistical Institute Ministry of Interior • Canada Statistics Canada Department of Justice • Croatian, Bureau of Statistics • Cyprus, The Republic of Cyprus Statistical Service • Czech, Republic Statistical Office • Denmark, Denmark Statistik • Estonia, Statistical Office of Estonia • Finland, Statistics Finland • France, Ministry of Justice • Germany, Federal Statistical Office Germany • Hong Kong SAR People's Republic of China, Census and Statistics Department • Iceland, Statistics Iceland • Ireland, Garda Statistics • Israel, Central Bureau of Statistics • Japan, Statistics Bureau and Statistics Center • Korea, Korea National Statistical Office • Maldives, Ministry of Planning and National Development • Mexico, National Institute of Statistics • Netherlands, Statistics Netherlands • New Zealand, Minister of Police • Norway, Statistics Norway • Palestine, Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics • Philippine, Philippine National Police • South Australia, South Australian Office of Crime Statistics & Research • Western Australia, Department of Justice • Spain, Spain National Statistics Institute • Sweden, National Council for Crime Prevention • Switzerland, Swiss Federal Statistical Office • Taiwan, Statistics of Justice • United Kingdom National Statistics Home Office: Research and Statistics Department (HORSD) Scottish Executive Statistical Services • United States Bureau of Justice Statistics Federal Bureau of Investigation

P,
They do count, but it's a different form of violence, not inherent to Argentina, think about the hooligans, how many times were they banned from attending european tournaments? Quite a few. The diff. lies on the officials in the UK determined to end with football violence and not finance these inadaptados. Should the AFA/club officials do sthg about it, in two weekends football violence in Argentina is history.
But as to lunatics/students opening fire at malls, schools, and work offices that's almost an american "privilege". I have never heard of snippers hidden beneath the trunk of the car specially adapted to fire without being caught (D.C snipper). It is so difficult to understand that kind of violence that had I seen it on cinema, I would have said to myself "typical hollywood tale". It's that kind of violence that you don't know if to laugh or cry, because when you learn the details you just can't believe it can't be real. Specially when it happens in one of the richest countries in the world, don't you think it's a paradox?

bf4,

Just because high school shootings and snipers are not as common here doesn't mean Argentine society is less violent. Keep in mind that guns are not as easy to get here as they are in the US. So that would explain why there aren't so many shootings. Besides, Argentine students may not carry guns (some DO anyway) but many carry knives instead. Do you remember the teacher that got stabbed by a student a few years ago? Well, there have been MANY similar cases. As for snipers, have you heard about "el tirador de Belgrano"?

Oh speaking of violence, how do you explain all the elders who are brutally beaten to death on a regular basis? If Argentine society were so peaceful, that wouldn't happen, don't you think? But according to you, extreme violence can be found in the US and not in Argentina. Get a grip on reality

"danish_boy" said:
Keep in mind that guns are not as easy to get here as they are in the US. So that would explain why there aren't so many shootings.
I am sorry to disappoint you, but one can easily buy an unregistered gun on the streets for 300 pesos or so. And I have an impression that gun ownership laws here are much more relaxed than in the most of the american states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back