Buenos Aires crime rate

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Mad_Maxx" said:
"Ask a cab driver if they are robbed one time"
I know a cab driver. What's he tell me? Two guns to the back of his head in the last 4 years.

Ask some more and ask what the police did if he reported to the police.
See what happens if you pull that shit in let's say US or Germany

Lonely Planet has a message board and i found this recent post interesting and pass it on. i thought i would attach it to an already existing thread here. Part of the thread reads......................................
The following are earlier reports about crime in Buenos Aires or in Argentina generally. They are not meant to scare travellers, but to make them aware that there are certain precautions to take. Keep in mind that the events reported do not take place every day, but that thieves and scammers do strike from time to time, especially if the traveller is unwary."

* * * I am a police officer in a congested Northeast City in the United States where there is a significant level of crime. Because I am a police officer, I think I am fairly adept at sensing danger. At first, when I had the opportunity to travel to Buenos Aires, I did not. That was a mistake. In total, over the past two years, I have visited Buenos Aires five times. Never once, have I felt uncomfortable. Sure, like any big city, Buenos Aires has its problems. Just read the daily newspaper. There are places where it is not wise to walk alone, but that is no different than any major city in the world. If you have the opportunity to visit Buenos Aires, do not be dissuaded because you perceive it to be too dangerous. It is a great city, full of friendly people. I cannot wait to return.

* * * A big problem in Retiro Buenos Aires bus station are thefts of luggage. Do not allow yourself to be distracted by anyone, always keep your bags in front of you and accounted for...even your huge rucksacks. We always watch our bags and knew about all the scams, but it still happened to us!. We were exhausted and put our luggage down between us against a wall. Immediately, as if we were already targeted, 2 local women, probably not from argentina, "dropped" something beside outside of my bag and were pointing at it for me to get. It was a roll of film, which did not seem strange, so I picked it up and tried to give it to the woman. She then did not want it waving her hands and started walking off. Only to realise, my boyfriend on the other side of the bags was distracted by another woman showing her sale stuff and happened to step in front of his large, 25 kilo, rucksack! Of course, as soon as we turned our heads trying to be helpful to the ladies a guy came around the back and pulled away our huge rucksack. Thankfully, my boyfriend noticed something was wrong quickly and ran after the guy. He luckily picked the right direction, opposite the way the ladies walked and found him dragging his bag! After shouting lots of bad words and picking his bag up, the poor Peruvian was unlucky as there just happened to be 6 policemen there who handcuffed him and took him away!. This was a rude awakening for us!. Guys, keep your eyes peeled!! First time its happened to us throughout Chile and Argentina!.

* * * We just had one of our bags swiped at the Retiro bus station in Buenos Aires. Heard that is has been happening almost daily to backpackers, so be VERY careful and watch your stuff at all times. Watch out for people trying to distract you, by asking you the time or some wierd questions in Spanish that you do not understand (that is what happened to us). Even clipping or tying our bags together would prevent someone from sneakily swiping your bag, which is what usually happens.

* * * If you are in a train do not hold your cellphone near an open window unless the train is moving fast and you are between stations. I made the mistake of doing that and the little hand that came through the window just as the train doors were closing struck faster than a rattlesnake!

* * * Be cautious when using ATMs in Buenos Aires. We had stopped at two ATM's on Sante Fe a very busy shopping street ( did not get any cash, card would not work ) and then walked to a secured internet office at 2:00 in the afternoon. We believe we were marked and followed. Once inside the internet cafe, a guy was buzzed in and called on his cell phone to his friend. We noticed his odd behvior and should have left on the spot. His friend soon arrived with a weapon and stood by the door. The first guy targeted me (not any of the other 5 Argentineans in the place) and demanded my shoulder bag which I gave to him. He also made a gesture towards my stomach as if asking if I had a money belt. I just replied: Nada. By this time my husband noticed what was going on and started to struggle for the purse until he noticed the guy with the gun and let go. Bottom line, no money, cards or passport were in the bag, just maps, eyeglasses, and no valuables. They never asked for my husband's wallet, which he had only just started carrying again. Yes, I had a moneybelt with the goods inside. We traveled for 2 months in Peru and Bolivia with no incidents, but were always very cautious. We feel that we let our guard down in Buenos Aires as we felt comfortable since our arrival into northern Argentina two weeks prior to the incident. Luckily, we encountered two amateurs and we got away safely.

* * * During our five week stay in Buenos Aires in March/April, 2007, we were victimized three times and one of our amigas had her camera stolen. On our second night we were in Salon Canning and about 1:00 am when the place was jampacked and everyone from our table was up dancing someone stole my wifes little purse, another ladie's shoebag and an amigo's cellphone. Our friends apartment keys were in the shoebag which caused the most trouble. My wife had very little cash in her small bag and bemoaned the loss of the bag and her lipgloss more than anything else. It was a good lesson about using the bag and coat checking facilities in the future and not leaving anything unguarded.On our third day a group of us was doing the Plaza Dorrego scene on Sunday and had the pigeon poop scam tried on us. We were wise to it though and the two thieves were unsuccessful and disappeared quicky into the crowds. On our seventh day there we had just gotten off the subway at the 9 de Julio stop downtown and were heading for the shoe stores on Suipacha when a young guy ran up to my wife from behind and tried to snatch her purse (one she had bought to replace the one stolen earlier). This purse was mounted on a sturdy belt though so after a few tugs the thief gave up and bolted down the subway entrance followed by a watching accomplice. Guards from the bank in front of where this happened came out immediately and summoned a polite policeman who took a description and went down the subway looking for the cuprit but returned shortly and apologized for his inability to catch the would-be thief. A couple of days later our amiga was sitting in a San Telmo café having a tea and a rest. Her expensive camera was on the table beside her elbow. A small group of street performers came in and caused some distraction and moments later the camera was gone. As disturbing as these events were (the attempted purse snatching was particularly traumatic) we did not let them ruin our stay, we tried to learn lessons fom them. Would we go back to Buenos Aires?...Absolutely...Cannot wait til we are able to go again.

* * * On May 23, 2007 two bags were stolen from me at a hotel in Buenos Aires. One was a messenger bag and the other my main back pack. I was left with the clothes on my back and my wallet. I would like to advise other travelers to Argentina, most of all Buenos Aires to keep a constant eye on your gear. I have no evidence, but I assume it was a set up.New surroundings are new to you, and routine to those who live there. Dirtbags/lowlifes/ones that bring misery to us travelling folk, know that check out time is usually 10:00 in Buenos Aires.The city is hectic with traffic at this time.Be careful if you see people without luggage in your hotel lobby. If they are perky or cocky, watch out, they are about to strike. I was chumped and I do not wish it on any of you. I am not looking for sympathy and I promise, not to go on about this topic. If I do not tell you guys, what is the use?

* * * I feel it important to share an incident I recently (May 28, 2007) experienced while staying at a hotel in Buenos Aires. I am a college instructor, on a sabbatical and doing research while volunteering in several South American countries. Sebastian, the youngest of several owners, was friendly, spoke fairly good English and was more than happy to help, although he gave me walking directions (2 miles one way) to an English speaking theatre, that did not exist. On the evening that I was to depart for a tour around the southern tip of Argentina, I went to the hotel door with backpack secured on my back and large suitcase in hand. Sebastian, who was watching the door at the switchboard, told me it was much safer to leave my luggage in the lobby under his watch while I secured a taxi. I figured he knew this large city better than I and left them under his care. I was only outside for approximately 4 minutes, flagged a taxi and returned to the lobby to gather my luggage to discover MY BACKPACK WAS GONE! Sebastian, although extremely distraught, could not recall who had taken it and told me he had only looked down for a moment. He ran outside and up and down the streets with his head in his hands, but to no avail. All the notes from my prior journies in other countries, my camera, my binoculars, my books, gifts I had purchased for my sons and fiance, several pieces of clothing and all the receipts I had saved for reimbursement from the college, were gone...over $800 worth. Of course, by then, I had missed my bus going South, another $60 down the drain, as Andesmar, a large, well-known luxury bus fleet, would not refund my money. Sebastian encouraged me to file a police report, which I did. The police said the hotel was responsible and that they would gather a report from the hotel by Monday evening. They never followed up on it. Sebastian had given me the next two nights stay at $45 per night and a $12 bottle of red wine in compensation, told me he would refund the nights I had just paid for and would allow me to stay when I returned from my journey around Argentina. The following morning, after having spoken with the senior owners, Sebastian told me the hotel was not responsible for the theft, even though under his watch, and that he did not intend to follow through with promises made. Sebastian quoted a senior partner, "If I told you to jump from a bridge, would you do it?" I believe this was intended to refer to my apparent "stupidity" in trusting his advice and leaving my baggage in the hotel under his watch. I, of course, have lost all documentation for my colleagues and for the professional development committee. The pictures from Ecuador, reports and gifts were the hardest to let go of. I felt it important to write to let you know of this incident, as the police report states that the hotel is responsible; however, there is no compensation, should I try to go after it...and I will not... that could possibly alleviate the grief I have experienced over this incident.Thank you for noting it. I would not wish anything like this to happen to any of your readers. We put our trust into Lonely Planet's recommendations. How unfortunate that the hotel will not own up to their responsibility in this matter. Others should be made aware of this.

* * * Take the advice of locals as to where you might not be safe. Most hostel owners know their city or region very well. They will point out the safer and less-safe areas for you. Follow that advice.

* * * Try to get enough rest.The exhausted, confused traveler is an easier target for thieves than one who is alert.

* * * At airports, taxi drivers may be milling around offering their services. Ignore them, and go the taxi company's official stand, or booth; hire a taxi there. Elsewhere, have someone telephone for a radio taxi;
hotels, hostels, and restaurants will be happy to do this for you. There may be some risk involved if you take a taxi on the street.

* * * Food and drink:

In general, it is a good idea not to accept food or drink offered by a stranger, especially if traveling on a long-distance bus.

* * * The "mustard trick":

If someone points out that your clothing is soiled and offers to clean the stain (it may be mustard, chocolate, or any other thick or sticky substance), refuse, and walk away as fast as you can. As the person is "cleaning" the stain, an accomplice will be taking your camera, suitcase, or some other item of value while your attention is distracted.

I'd like to be an informed customer.
Where can I find information on the crime statistics in Argentina? Are there any independant sources or is INDEC the clearing house for all stats?

"MPDC" said:
I'd like to be an informed customer.
Where can I find information on the crime statistics in Argentina? Are there any independant sources or is INDEC the clearing house for all stats?
I tried to make a comparative table for two crime types between Buenos Aires and several major US cities. You can find it =1231]here. Scroll to the middle of the thread. Message also contains a link to some statistical data from Argentine police for year 2005.

I found that Lonely Planet thread interesting, anecdotal, but believable.
Regarding searching for arg. stats on crime, well, my first reaction would be not to trust arg. stats. When i moved here there were kidnappings every 5 minutes it seemed. Everyone i spoke with said that most would not be reported and that the hour or so of kidnappings on the TV news (one after the other) along with other violent robberies were just the tip of the iceberg.
Along the train tracks to Tigre are upscale communities that have security shacks on each and every corner. You wont see that back in Canada or Europe. Beyond that are suburbs that are considered so dangerous that anyone i speak to is shocked that i might even consider living there.
The look of fear on the average city resident is obvious to all. They can fly in a door, turning the key, faster than the speed of light. They go left, but look right, always looking, the panicked look, everpresent. Every day, almost every store, youll be treated like a thief with a hard glare and a security guard to follow you up and down each aisle.
Theres crime in our home countries, no doubt about it, the stats. will point that out, but when i go home, among the many things that strikes me in contrast, is the general overall sense of confidence, happiness, and lack of suspicion and paranoia that im exposed to here.
So, regardless of whether it may be safer here or not, the local population is freaked out and frightened almost to an extreme. just my observation of course.

I think it's true that there is a lot of anxiety here. I have to agree that you see fear on people's faces. People are afraid to open apartment building doors, especially at night. Shop doors are locked all the time. Counterfeit notes abound. There is little trust in general. These are facts of life here and one just has to live with it and find the good in the society.

"sergio" said:
I think it's true that there is a lot of anxiety here. I have to agree that you see fear on people's faces. People are afraid to open apartment building doors, especially at night. Shop doors are locked all the time. Counterfeit notes abound. There is little trust in general. These are facts of life here and one just has to live with it and find the good in the society.
The picture you paint was a lot worse in 2003, people now spend more and are happier in general.
People just don´t go out anymore, they did in 2003

Maybe that's why we live in a Barrio Cerrado in Nordelta. The crime rate is zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back