Buenos Aires crime rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

perry

Registered
b)best crime rates (another laugh) most northern europe countries and even some european countries fare better. But there is no safer place to live than the USA!.jjajja)!
Reading this post made me realise that Buenos Aires that people have a lot of misconceptions about crime in Argentina and in Buenos Aires in particular.
This is a very safe city in general and while petty crime is on the rise serious crime is very low here and certainly all crimes involving severe personal injuries or death are fully reported 100 percent so there are no fiddling of the figures.
Buenos Aires has one of the lowest murder rate in South America averaging 6 per 100 thousand people . Comparative rates for cities of this size are as follows Mexico city 17 Sao Paulo 54 Caracas 68 Rio De Janeiro74 and the highest in United States is Washington Dc with 68 per 100 thousand which makes that city 10 times more likely of personal injury from serious crime.
Another thing people do not mention is that races here are not about to explode into riots like has happened in many United States and European Cities.
This overall is a very safe city where sniper attacks are extremely rare and in 10 years of covering the news here I have heard of only two situations once in a school resulting in 3 deaths and once in the suburb of Belgrano and they were both huge news.
I grew up In Australia which people think is very safe but we have the dubious honour of having some of the worst criminal attacks of the last years especially in the beautiful city of Melbourne which had 3 in a matter of a year caused by social outcasts wrecking havoc on inncoent people.
Buenos Aires is one of the only cities I have seen where old woman at 3 am walk their dogs

"pericles" said:
Buenos Aires has one of the lowest murder rate in South America averaging 6 per 100 thousand people . Comparative rates for cities of this size are as follows Mexico city 17 Sao Paulo 54 Caracas 68 Rio De Janeiro74 and the highest in United States is Washington Dc with 68 per 100 thousand which makes that city 10 times more likely of personal injury from serious crime.
Washington, DC is 75% black. The black populations in Sao Paolo and Rio are similarly high. That's the simple but politically incorrect explanation. And it explains why BsAs has such low homicide rates.

Even so Pericles comparing oneself to Bogotá or Río is by no means an acceptable standard. Buenos Aires 20 years ago was another thing, or maybe the whole world was safer, I'm caught nostalgic on a sunday night. I remember my teens (12,13s) dancing out at Costa Salguero (there were many many "'boliches" on the costanera during the 90s) and walking all the way through Salguero in groups of 20s up to my home's aptmt. I wouldn't dare it today not even with 20 peace corps on each side. The shantytown 31 has grown to tremendous proportions, from 2001 onwards at a speed never seen. Today you wouldn't be on the safe side just playing squash late at Salguero tennis. (which I still do now and then)
Regards,
B

Badwolf,
Race is not always an explanation how do you explain southafrican's high crime rate?, it's mainly blacks vs. blacks (My name it totsi-excellent movie!), Rio's violence and Bogota's have a lot to do with drugs, we call them carteles, escuadrones de la muerte in Rio and not necessarily with race. Violence, poverty, shanty towns and drugs is a lethal combination, argentina so far remains adrift. In some sense, you might have heard of paco devastating argentine youth
My apologies for my spelling mistakes my english is getting rusty...and I don't have near hand a dictionary (not a good excuse)

I would like to know where Perricles got the stats from and maybe they can be further explained by robberies of elderly, police killings, people in jail without trail and the growing of shanty-towns since 2001(or 1995)

Maybe it's a good idea as well to find statistics of how people manage to finace Paco

To the above poster your tone about Buenos Aires always seems to be negative and completely lacking in fact.
I have noticed that last Saturday in The Buenos Aires Herald a similar theme was espoused about Argentinas future and your opinions were doom and gloom for all of us.
Maybe you can enlighten us with some of your facts and knowledge about this country and why you feel this way

as to who made the question of Paco's financing it is extremely cheap it can be financed with whatever: eg.
I used to go jogging for more than ten years from my home (facing shopping PA) to River football stadium. I guess that I have done this for more than 10 years since I was 15.
3 months ago just facing the Rosedal below the bridge some teens or even younger one of them was no more than eight grabbed a tiny cheap necklace that I wore, that couldn't have been resold for more than $ 50 pesos, I hate exp. and noticeable jewelry and I belong here so I now that you cannot go out jogging showing off exp. items. As to argentines so called egocentrism or selfishness on the spot (even if it is very difficult to park there because Figueroa Alcorta kind of gives a turn) more than 10 cars immediately stopped to offer some help.

I don't recall any attitude of this kind in the USA. And I was at a loss more than once: starting the day of my arrival at Ronald Reagan, with the S.U.V. that I had rented from BA on recall (I couldn't understand what recall meant and the young lady at Avis wouldn't bother putting it in other words), thousands of incidents of getting lost on the I95-tremendously scared-, with nobody giving me any instruction as to how to go back, yes american politeness...they call it...after three years both my ex and I got back with the conclusion "Cada cual hace la suya", "Cada cual atiende su juego"

Instead, take a typical argentine attitute: First thing I did was to put EVERYBODY on guard of what was going on below the train/bridge (many american still jogg with IPOD, this is not Connecticut Park guys), and I am no saint or hero........

And then the USA bears another form of violence (for me it is worse and non comprehensible), shooters, snippers who one day just because they feel so, they open fire at a mall, convention center, commercial offices (very often they have been fired), typical of the USA: violence because of violence ? How do you explain this Mr. paul? Should there be any explanation....I find none or yes I find it back in the roots of american society........I am not going to deny our miseries but northamericans are worse, so many lunatics and from such a tender age...Gosh! What kind of society "creates" these monsters? I might have an answer or two but I'm in a rush

"bf4" said:
Badwolf,
Race is not always an explanation how do you explain southafrican's high crime rate?, it's mainly blacks vs. blacks (My name it totsi-excellent movie!), Rio's violence and Bogota's have a lot to do with drugs, we call them carteles, escuadrones de la muerte in Rio and not necessarily with race. Violence, poverty, shanty towns and drugs is a lethal combination, argentina so far remains adrift. In some sense, you might have heard of paco devastating argentine youth
The perpetrators in South Africa are disproportionately black. I didn't say it's black-on-white crime. The other "explanations" are euphemisms. I've never bought the theory that poverty per se causes crime: during the Depression, white crime in the USA remained roughly comparable to pre-Depression figures.
The figures from the US Department of Justice are worth a glance -- and I daresay the figures in countries like South Africa and Brazil are similar. In 1992, about 1 million (US) whites were murdered, assaulted, robbed or raped by blacks Americans; in contrast, 132,000 blacks were murdered, robbed, raped, or assaulted by whites in the same period. Blacks thus committed about 8 times more violent interracial crimes than whites even though they constitute only 1/7 of the population. In a nutshell, blacks are committing more than 50 times the violent racial crimes than whites.
There is a plethora of other relevant statistics pertaining to violent and non-violent crimes available from both the Department of Justice and the FBI. Unfortunately, we mostly have to keep mum on the subject because of the thought police, and use euphemisms like "urban decay" and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back