Buenos Aires En Bici

Jwmashek

Registered
A friend and I tried to rent bikes from a "Mejor en Bici" stand today. It seemed like an awesome way to ride around the city, especially with it being such a nice day out today.

We brought our passports, but we were told that we also needed a city document showing our address to verify that we were living here. Has anyone else tried to do this, or know how to get this type of document relatively quickly?

It's called a Certificado de Domicilio. You need to go to the nearest police station, show them your passport and pay 10 pesos. The next day, a cop will come over to your house to verify that you live there and hand you the certificate. It's usually quick and painless.

Thanks for the information. That's great and I'm pleasantly surprised that it's that easy!

I've also been able to show my apartment rental contract which had my address.

Although he's not popular with everybody, I LOVE the yellow bicycles. And the mayor has announced a few new things:

1) Increase in the number of bikes from 700 to 3,000

2) Number of stations to get the bikes from 28 to 200

3) The bikes will be available 24hrs/day, 365 days/year

AWESOME!!

How I wish that this was the case back in 2008 when I would wait ~30+ minutes for a bus to go from Scalabrini Ortiz & Cabrera to right near the Facultad de Medicina/Facu de Sciencias Economicas. Gradual downhill slope from Palermo to the edge of Once.

Anyway, am psyched that Macri is bringing these to the peeps.

http://www.buenosair...as-de-la-ciudad

Finally registered a couple of weeks ago - used my DNI and a mobile phone bill worked fine to register. A passport plus a certificado de domicilio or rental contract would have been fine as well though.

Its a great scheme. I sorely missed cycling when I first got here. Back then it just felt too dangerous and impractical to cycle around the city. Now its my favourite way to get about.

No helmet chief, they leave that up to you. Same in dublin, paris, london and ny, all helmet free.

Hoping for a bike station on cabildo.

Do you get a helmet at the same time?

They give you the option. Luckily i decided to try the Helmet option for the first time on my last trip before the front fender got sucked into the wheel and pitching me over the handle bars at high speed. 3 broken ribs and a lot of bruises later I doubt I'll be getting back on one of the yellow bikes; a shame because I think it's a wonderful program.

Its a shame they can't do the bike hire thing properly. As it is, its so stupid as a tourist you have to present so much paperwork just hire the thing.
Can't they just do it properly like Paris, London, Barcelona... or would it be too much to ask?

Back