Buenos Aires Foods Of Italian Origin

Also miss those glamorous Frappuchino-esque, The Granita Di caffe, always after a good Roman meal
and that was back in the eighties! I expect to finding these Italian favourites when I arrive...

Expectation and Argentina aren't two things that go well together.

I'd say the quality of Italian food here is only marginally better than the quality of the sushi here.

I was trying to explain to my Italian-Argentine cousins what marzapane is. Yummy! I miss my mother's biscotti that she used to make with almonds, lemon or orange rind and anise that she would cook twice so they would be hard and crunchy and her homemade scampi with linguini, and my grandmother's cannoli. None of those can be found in Argetnina. Here Italian food consists of overcooked spaghetti with meat or tomato sauce, spinach or meat ravioli, and pizza. There's not much variety and what there is is a poor replica of Italian food. Don't come to Argentina for the Italian food. Come to try the Argentine cuisine: asado, puchero, locro, tamales in western Argentina, matambre, vitel tone, and the empanadas.

Why is it so hard to put doubles in the right spot?
I am not complaining about using singular and plural nouns since that's out of reach for most foreigners (salami > salame ) or about male/female (linguini > linguine, fettuccini > fettuccine) or about forgetting accents or apostrophes (faina > fainá)

Even Argentinians make that mistake! It is really awful to travel the world and see so many "Italian" places who cannot even spell correctly their name, their main courses or their menu. I even found mistake on bathroom signs!

This is a faina:
faina.jpg

This a fainá (= farinata in dialect):
1024px-La_Farinata_della_Riviera_italiana.jpg

English doesnt have diacritical marks like that- we have periods at the end of the sentence.
Hence, us americans are completely unable to comprehend accents grave, umlauts, tildes, circumflexes, or any of that other fancy stuff you europeans use.
We are dumb hillbillies.

And that animal is clearly a Marten- we eat em, and make hats out of them. But we dont put them on our pizza.

I'll bet Serafina writes "São Paulo" as "Sao Paulo" and doesn't think twice about it.

Don't assume that, because of Argentina's history (lots of Italians people migrated here), you will find great authentic food from there. Apart from a handful of good restaurants (less than in most other bigger cities around the globe), you mostly find poor versions of the "real dishes".
I have found 1 good Italian resto and it was in Martinez. Not Cap Fed. and it was/is inconsistent at best. So forget it.

I have found 1 good Italian resto and it was in Martinez. Not Cap Fed. and it was/is inconsistent at best. So forget it.

Despite what I wrote earlier, this place is pretty good (at least the 3 times I have gone there):

http://www.tripadvisor.com.ar/Restaurant_Review-g312741-d2064872-Reviews-La_Cucina_De_Michele-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html

if there is so much Italian influence here, why so difficult to find capocollo? You know, the one with the spicy edging ;)

Back