Buenos Aires Foods Of Italian Origin

Necessity is the mother of invention. In France there is a dish called Coq au Vin, which despite being sold as a delicacy it was actually created by immersing a very old and hardy rooster in (probably cheap) wine and cooking it for hours until it tenderises. (Frenchie, please do correct me if I'm misrepresenting the dish). What would be the need to perform such an elaborate procedure on a very cheap piece of old meat in a country (that used to abound) with grassfed cattle?

Re Kanemochi-san: Most Italian immigrants (in Argentina and elsewhere) do come from the South, but many also from the East as it was also very poor during the time of unification. So there should be Risotto, not milanese, but from Emilia Ro(u)magna where it actually originated from. There is a Jewish-ran Colombian-staffed "vero Italiano" restaurant in Buenos Aires Design that serves a pretty decent risotto con gamberi

if there is so much Italian influence here, why so difficult to find capocollo? You know, the one with the spicy edging ;)
You will find it aws "bondiola" without the spicy edging

You will find it as "bondiola¨, usually without the spicy edging

Re Kanemochi-san: Most Italian immigrants (in Argentina and elsewhere) do come from the South, but many also from the East as it was also very poor during the time of unification. So there should be Risotto, not milanese, but from Emilia Ro(u)magna where it actually originated from. There is a Jewish-ran Colombian-staffed "vero Italiano" restaurant in Buenos Aires Design that serves a pretty decent risotto con gamberi

Siii Matti jajajaja always when I say that someone says ooohhh My GF's grandma come from Como Lake jjajajajaj. Go to Hotel de los Inmigrantes near Retiro to see the Statistics obviously some immigrants came from Torino etc. What do you mean by the East?

The culprit was Garibaldi that promoted Emancipation and Unification creating a total state of poverty and hunger in the South

The Experts can discuss the origin of the Risotto jajjaajaj Risotto Romagnolo !!!!

La Parolachia Italian Restaurant is Good

Il Fiume in Puerto Madero has an even "more authentic" risotto....
If you take a look at a map of Italy before the Risorgimento you'll see the line is not exactly north south but east west (the wast coinciding with the south) so you'll find many emigrants from Emilia, Marche, Abruzzi even thought those three (except perhaps Abruzzi) are not technically the Mezzogiorno. Those central areas (except E-R) used to correspond to the Papal States.
Yeah there used to be people from Torino, and Cortina, and Milano back in the 1900s but I believe they called themselves expats, introduced the schnitzel, and promptly returned to Italy.
And yes, the people from the North emptied the coffers of the Kingdom of Naples, it was a sacking it seems.

Pronounce your own family name differently just to apeace the locals? For me, not a chance, if I was given the family name as "Suzuki" won't be changing to Sudzuki so to pronounce it more to local flavour. Perhaps just me thinking but.....

That should be one of the least of your worries.

Also, your statement doesn't make sense anyway -- you're Japanese and I believe born and raised there, no? Your surname wasn't originally written with the Latin alphabet was it? Suzuki spelt with the Latin alphabet is an approximate phonetic spelling of the Japanese. So the phonetic approximation written in English can be a bit different than the phonetic spelling in another language. In Spain if you were making reservations over the phone and spelling out your name S-U-Z-U-K-I they'd immediately say back to you, ah, Suthuki? Because Z in Spain is not necessarily pronounced like a Z in North America. So after a couple of years of people saying your name Suthuki at a restaurant, doctor's office, dentist, what have you, you might get sick of it and when you make the appointment spell your name Susuki.

It becomes a battle of which do you prefer, that people SAY it write, or SPELL it write (haha see what I did there? Or did my phonetics pun phail miserably?).

My last name is Robertson. Even in english speaking countries it's a constant "Robertson." "Robinson?" "No, RoBERTson" "Roberts?" "No, RobertSON" "Robins?" "Yeah, yeah Robins. That's it, you got it. See you monday." Don't even get me started on what it's like here in Argentina. I tend to make appointments using my second name and my husband's last name just to make it easier, the problem is then I forget when I go to the appointment....

Il Fiume in Puerto Madero has an even "more authentic" risotto....
If you take a look at a map of Italy before the Risorgimento you'll see the line is not exactly north south but east west (the wast coinciding with the south) so you'll find many emigrants from Emilia, Marche, Abruzzi even thought those three (except perhaps Abruzzi) are not technically the Mezzogiorno. Those central areas (except E-R) used to correspond to the Papal States.
Yeah there used to be people from Torino, and Cortina, and Milano back in the 1900s but I believe they called themselves expats, introduced the schnitzel, and promptly returned to Italy.
And yes, the people from the North emptied the coffers of the Kingdom of Naples, it was a sacking it seems.

If it suits you will talk of East and West. however never heard that term in Italy?? the Calabrese would be from the West? ovest?
Le Marche has a strong community here thou. When you say many came from the ex Papal Estates it can't be argued if many means more than ONE..!!
Must also mention the destruction of the Kingdom of the 2 Sicilian's including Sicily, Calabria and la Puglia. As in Il Gatopardo.
Where most immigrants came from!! Must visit small cities in the province of BA many business called Reggio , Palermo, Trapani, Eboli, etc.

Does the risotto from Il Fuime looks like this ?

fc50tc022-01_xlg.jpg

I would like to get the opinion of those expats born and raised in Italy as to which Italian restaurants they recommend. Personally, I like Piegari. The food is very good, but definitely not as good as the real thing in the Motherland. Whoever mentioned that cannoli are from the south is right. The food in the north and south is totally different. Most of the food in that States and in Buenos Aires seems to prevail in southern Italian dishes since most of the immigrants came from there. My nonna was from an area between Naples and Florecce and my nonno was from Bari in the south, so I grew up with a blend of the best of both parts of Italy. North and South. I've never heard of a West and East.I really do wish the Italian restaurants here would have more variety. Pasta risotto dishes are not the only thing they eat in Italy.

That should be one of the least of your worries.

Also, your statement doesn't make sense anyway -- you're Japanese and I believe born and raised there, no? Your surname wasn't originally written with the Latin alphabet was it? Suzuki spelt with the Latin alphabet is an approximate phonetic spelling of the Japanese. So the phonetic approximation written in English can be a bit different than the phonetic spelling in another language. In Spain if you were making reservations over the phone and spelling out your name S-U-Z-U-K-I they'd immediately say back to you, ah, Suthuki? Because Z in Spain is not necessarily pronounced like a Z in North America. So after a couple of years of people saying your name Suthuki at a restaurant, doctor's office, dentist, what have you, you might get sick of it and when you make the appointment spell your name Susuki.

It becomes a battle of which do you prefer, that people SAY it write, or SPELL it write (haha see what I did there? Or did my phonetics pun phail miserably?).

My last name is Robertson. Even in english speaking countries it's a constant "Robertson." "Robinson?" "No, RoBERTson" "Roberts?" "No, RobertSON" "Robins?" "Yeah, yeah Robins. That's it, you got it. See you monday." Don't even get me started on what it's like here in Argentina. I tend to make appointments using my second name and my husband's last name just to make it easier, the problem is then I forget when I go to the appointment....

But of course, if the name and word "Suzuki" written in Kanji and presented, then the westerners won't -Comprender un pedo- thus has to be translated to Alphabet then spelled as "Suzuki" otherwise will be presented in its raw form as seen below, and in Japanese can be written in "three" writing styles. However, phonetically still sounds as ( Su-ZU-Ki ) and I know how tiring it is to keep repeating its phonetics to the locals but I always strain myself to convey the correct way, being retired, have all the spare time !
  1. すずき(Hiragana)
  2. スズキ(Katakana)
  3. suzuki
鈴木(Kanji)

Back