Buenos Aires- Good Or Bad Move?

I agree with sleslie23. RichardRPTownley's post is excellent.Re. Argentines relationships with foreigners and things foreign.There has been a train of thought in Argentina for some time that divides many, but not all of them, into 2 camps--Xenophobes and Xenophiles--.The grass roots politician Arturo Juareteche had a well known slogan for this back in the 70s."Ni tinglados,ni cipayos".Neither shanty dwellers,nor nor turncoats".Meaning his party supported the "middle of the road" Argentines of "la clase media" of which the country was wont to boast so much.but whose economic situation has significantly worsened in the last 10 years or so.Non Spanish speaking foreigners many times,but not always,have majority contact with the xenophiles and little with the xenophobes.Hence the opinions they draw.

If you come from a Western country, I would advise to earn a living there and save the money to go on holidays to Argentina. (I put my money where my mouth is, since this is exactly what I am doing.)

Argentina is not a "Western country?" Is it Asian? African? Circumpolar? How do you slice and dice your hemispheres?

Good advice above, one thing I would add:

The city you fell in love with 6 years ago, for one month, isn't the same. In a few things it's gotten somewhat better, but as the economy falls somewhat steadily, be aware that things are different. All the above advice applies, but you may not feel the same as you were remembering. Maybe wouldn't be a bad idea to visit again with the thought of staying if you like it, but not counting on staying if you don't. Either way make sure you have an exit strategy in case.

Beyond that, to reiterate some of the above advice - don't come thinking you'll find a great job here and live comfortably. Bring as much cash as you can and worry about how you will get more here when that runs out, even if you have a job from your home country. Currency and import restrictions have changed things a bit as far as certain comfort levels go. Bringing currency in for replenishment is a big concern for those of us who bring our money in. Making enough money to live reasonably comfortable is a big concern for most of those who earn here in pesos.

Personally, I'm not expecting a big change any time soon with the new government. I have a horrible dread the same party will remain in power and am thinking (again) of the possibility of leaving to some other destination next year (although I have felt that often here and haven't left yet!).

.Non Spanish speaking foreigners many times,but not always,have majority contact with the xenophiles and little with the xenophobes.Hence the opinions they draw.

The white European or North American foreigners have majority contact with the xenophiles.

The dark South American or African foreigners, usually have a very different experience altogether.

Argentina is not a "Western country?" Is it Asian? African? Circumpolar? How do you slice and dice your hemispheres?

I wrote Western in preference to First World, which I had in mind in terms of its original use in Cold War politics rather than the country's development.
Latin Americans have a very different outlook on politics and life in general than most NATO allied countries.

I do not agree. Argentines are among the most open minded people I have met, they are very curious about Westerners and even look up to them. They complain a lot more about Argentines and other Latin Americans than about Westerners.

They are just as you say. The mechanisms though, involved in laying down the foundations of a relationship with an Argentine may be difficult for a foreigner, as it used to be with me. The people of the albi-celeste make the best companions, but without a proper introduction or shared interests, there is little opportunity to advance a relationship, especially as a newly-arrived foreigner with limited cultural and social resources.

Latin Americans have a very different outlook on politics and life in general than most NATO allied countries.

Could you elaborate? I'd love to learn more about our fundamental differences in terms of outlook in life with Portugal, Spain, Italy, France and Greece (all NATO countries).

To say that Argentina is not Western is to say that Italy and Spain are not Western - i.e. absurd.

Considering that we are much closer related to the Roman empire than the Anglo Saxon nations, I am really curious about what the current definition of western country is.

Reactions: Joe
To say that Argentina is not Western is to say that Italy and Spain are not Western - i.e. absurd.

Nobody said Argentina wasn't Western. The original sentence alluded to a Western visitor to Argentina.

Back