Buenos Aires is in the top 10 of the cheapest cities in the world

I don’t know about the non-Buenos Aries Argentina, actually some of it doesn’t seem very good. But from what I can tell Buenos Aries seems decent. I’ll see soon hopefully. If it doesn’t work out I can always try another thing, but this Texas, Southern USA type of thing isn’t for me, with some exceptions like Austin, etc. What’s your problem with Argentina, and with Buenos Aries specifically? I understand you’re not a minority in Texas so for you generally Texas probabaly isn’t as bad as it’s for people who are minorities. It’s like having an immunity to the virus, like you think it’s not that bad because for you it actually isn’t. But for me that’s a big consideration here, and honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if with the Trump movement they might do much worse than what it already has been. I see him as the level of Hitler, even though of course he hasn’t been able to do as much yet. And it’s a larger general ideology as well so it’s not just Trump necessarily, and here I’m just talking about the worse case scenario. Even the normal scenario in these parts so far isn’t that great for minorities.
Are you fresh out of college, Sequoia? Just wondering.

1. Damascus, Syria
  2. Tripoli, Libya
  3. Taskent, Uzbekistan
  4. Tunisia, Tunisia
  5. Almaty, Kazakhstan
  6. Karachi, Pakistan
  7. Ahmedabad, India
  8. Argel, Algeria
  9. Buenos Aires, Argentina
  10. Lusaka, Zambia
What a group to be part of. The Chileans should consider this list as they prepare to vote for their next president.

Two cities one could consider Damascus , for Arab speakers and Alger for French speakers. Alger has nice beaches and is a 2 hour flight away from Europe.
Also perhaps Tunisia

I don’t know about the non-Buenos Aries Argentina, actually some of it doesn’t seem very good. But from what I can tell Buenos Aries seems decent. I’ll see soon hopefully. If it doesn’t work out I can always try another thing, but this Texas, Southern USA type of thing isn’t for me, with some exceptions like Austin, etc. What’s your problem with Argentina, and with Buenos Aries specifically? I understand you’re not a minority in Texas so for you generally Texas probabaly isn’t as bad as it’s for people who are minorities. It’s like having an immunity to the virus, like you think it’s not that bad because for you it actually isn’t. But for me that’s a big consideration here, and honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if with the Trump movement they might do much worse than what it already has been. I see him as the level of Hitler, even though of course he hasn’t been able to do as much yet. And it’s a larger general ideology as well so it’s not just Trump necessarily, and here I’m just talking about the worse case scenario. Even the normal scenario in these parts so far isn’t that great for minorities.

I'm not saying Texas is better than Arg. What I am saying is that all the things you listed as things you find wrong with Texas are pretty much everyday occurrences anywhere here. Especially generating loud noises and people going out of their way to ruin other peoples' day. Protesting and illegal road closures are a daily thing. I suppose if you are a permanent tourist with nowhere to be at any given time it will be ok. If you're trying to live a life and work it sounds like you will be challenged.

I note The Economist ranks "based on a basket of 200 goods and services". Taxes were not mentioned. Were they intentionally excluded? Silly me, I thought taxes are obligatory, not optional.

taxes on having a car here must be up there in the highest in the world (all percentages on value of car). In PBA....similar in CABA too
  • on registering new or used - Inscripción Inicial 1.5% (nacional) or 2% (imported) of value + impuesto/tasa provinciales de sellos of 2.5% (new) - 3% (used) of the value of a car to register it .......For new another 2.5% Impuesto Sellado Alta 0km another .. loads of other smaller duties and taxes too. (not even mentioning the impuesto de lujo on new cars over a certain price)
  • then patentes of 6,355% of the value of car per year (over 1 million pesos - which most newer cars will be)... of the resultant patente add on another 10% and 1.5% of the patente for other contributions.

I'm not saying Texas is better than Arg. What I am saying is that all the things you listed as things you find wrong with Texas are pretty much everyday occurrences anywhere here. Especially generating loud noises and people going out of their way to ruin other peoples' day. Protesting and illegal road closures are a daily thing. I suppose if you are a permanent tourist with nowhere to be at any given time it will be ok. If you're trying to live a life and work it sounds like you will be challenged.

I don’t believe those are all the things I listed about things wrong with Texas. A major part of my list was the issues that minorities face here. There are bad people everywhere, but in Texas there is a high amount of the additional evil which I mentioned that seems just not worth it for me personally. For others it might be a good place. For example, people in California who are moving here for various reasons, including not being able to afford it there. Some of them might find it worth it, especially if the California money is good enough to get them into Austin, or if they’re not a minority of some kind to be especially discriminated against here.

Back