Buenos Aires is not the Only City in Argentina!

Cordobese

Registered
BA, love it or hate it, works much like a big city.......expensive as hell to live in, jobs are very competitive, etc.

It seems to me approx 90% or more of you live in BA. (And probably 90% of that 90% in Cap Fed).

I would really encourage people to venture out a bit. Rosario, Cordoba, Salta, etc........

Life outside of BA is much cheaper, with much friendlier people, with relatively better paying job opportunities, much less crime, and just a better quality of life.

For example, my life in Cordoba:
I live in a HOUSE with a POOL-$2,700 pesos a month
15 minute taxi ride-20 pesos or so.
HUGE AMAZING milenesa sandwich with fries at a restaurant and a coke (my lunch today)-24 pesos.
Helpful and Friendliness of People-Incredible! (While I would rate BA terrible in the same category)
Amount of dog shit on the streets....1/10th of BA

Any right in my backyard is tons of camping, mountain biking, climbing, hiking, etc.

Just my two cents but I have no idea why more people don´t venture out! Especially because BA seems to be the revolving door of people in and out!

If I lived in Cordoba it would be too far to drive to get to all of the CFK support functions I volunteer at. :0

Cordobese is right, we are almost all stuck in BA. This is my second time living in Argentina (the first one was for 15 years) and I am ashamed to recognize that I have been once to Rosario and Mendoza, and a few times to the usual suspects (Bariloche, Iguazu, Mar del Plata, Pinamar, etc) but I do not know this big country.
In my case, I am in BA cause I travel abroad a lot and I would hate to have to connect flights. Plus it seems that all bureaucratic errands (and there are a lot in this country) have to be done in BA. My Argentine friends always say "Dios está en todos lados, pero atiende solo en Buenos Aires".

I have gotten around to quite a few other cities in the interior, Rosario, Cordoba, Salta and have spent a lot of time in San Miguel de Tucuman as my gf is Tucumana. There is so much to like about the landscape and the cities of the interior of the country. There is less traffic, noise and craziness and generally the people are more relaxed, pleasant and more friendly than your average porteño.

However, from what I have seen prices are not necessarily lower, there is less things to do (atleast for someone of my age, 26) and there is clearly not as many job opportunities (all things being equal, depending on your industry of choice of course). Also agree with expatinowncountry that at times it can be difficult to get things done in the interior. I know for my girlfriend when she had to get her passport a cpl of year back, it was quicker and easier for her to travel down to BA and do it then get it done from Tuc.

I can understand the attraction of BA for tourists being here for a short while coming to have fun and study Spanish, but if I was in that position I would definitely spend more time in other cities such as Cordoba, Mendoza, Rosario, Bariloche etc.

Cordoba is a great city. The architecture too is much more interesting than in BA (at least there's a bigger concentration of interesting buildings), climate is drier than in BA (makes it easier to handle high temperatures).

A city I consider moving to.

I love Cordoba too. Clean, the people are nice, prices are cheaper. I've been there a few times and really enjoyed myself.

However, two of my programmers are Cordobese (I don't mean the user who posts here :) ). They are a pair living together and just turned the corner on 30. They moved to Buenos Aires about 6 years ago, lived here for a couple of years then moved back to Cordoba because they didn't like the prices and the city.

About two years ago they moved back to Buenos Aires. Their reason was that the services in Cordoba were not as good as here (particularly, being programmers, they had problems with their internet service, just to mention one) and things like clothes and furniture were not as available. The rail system being almost non-existent in Argentina, it's more difficult to get goods between cities unless they are specifically requested, or on the normal list of stores who stock items there, as most goods are moved by truck. Most of the items available there in those terms were not to their liking.

I would also think that in a situation where imports have been curtailed by the government, items would be lacking there before here.

I don't remember all of their complaints, but they really had become accustomed to living in the big city, even though there were advantages in Cordoba.

Just depends on what you want in your daily life and what you're willing to do without.

ElQueso, I didn't know you were in Cordoba. Weren't you at the economics meeting a month ago?

Thanks for this info. I have become attached to my neighborhood in BA but I am am here only until I get my citizenship because my lawyer (that I LOVE) says he can't represent me if I leave this province. But when that is done I'll be moving so I especially appreciate your comments about Cordoba. Especially that it's less expensive. I've heard before it was nice but always good to add the less expensive part! ;D

i have to disagree with the OP. the problem is that bs as IS the only city in argentina.

Back