Buenos Aires is not the Only City in Argentina!

Tourist2008 said:
I have lived in Mendoza for four years, originally from London, and I have found it a wonderful place to live. As many say, it depends what you are looking for ... I was fed up of commuting 3 hours per day return, and I LOVE the Cordillera.

BTW 3 month exits can be made to Chile through the mountains which is a much more pleasurable trip than Colonia.

Is Santiago's airport at least equal to, or better than EZE as an international hub (costs, flight availabilities, efficiencies, etc)?

Does Mendoza have colder winters than BA?

Thanks.

Argento said:
Is Santiago's airport at least equal to, or better than EZE as an international hub (costs, flight availabilities, efficiencies, etc)?

Thanks.
SCL is so much better than EZE in every way that it makes me want to weep.

Argento said:

Thanks.

Does a city at the foot of the Andes and a short drive from the highest peak outside of Asia, have colder winters than a city at sea level that is on the water... which, because of the massive amount of energy it possesses, keeps the HIGHS low, and the LOWS high?

Yes... Mendoza has colder winters than Buenos Aires.

Argento

Firstly, Santiago is a beautiful city and the airport is nothing like EZE. It works.

As regards winters, I prefer the winter in Mendoza to that of Buenos Aires, where I have also lived. Firstly there isnt that horrible humid cold which gets into your bones and in Mendoza if the sun is out then you can always find warmth. Being at a minimum of 800m above sea level increases the sun´s heat radiation.

Likewise, in Summer the heat is intense but in the shade it is always several degrees cooler because of the lack of humidity. Far less mosquitos, and cockroaches, in comparison with Buenos Aires (province at least).

Coming from London, I also love to be in a place where it rains about 5 days per year!

What are the apartment prices like in Cordoba, Rosario, Mendoza? I lived in Bariloche for awhile and the prices were higher than Baires.

As far as Cordoba, I only know about 2 year leases with guarantees. I live in Barrio Cofico, which is an upper-class neighborhood about 10 blocks from Centro. I rent a 2 bedroom house for 2200 pesos. An average two bedroom apartment in the same neighborhood would be about 1800. Centro might be a little more expensive, but not too much more, no houses there of course. Nuevo Cordoba (where all the students live) is a great deal more expensive, I have friends there that pay 2200 for a one bedroom apartment, but it is brand new and has a fitness area, two asadors (that you pay to use) and a 24 hr door man.

Joe said:
What are the apartment prices like in Cordoba, Rosario, Mendoza? I lived in Bariloche for awhile and the prices were higher than Baires.

Bariloche is WAY different.....tourist town, yes town, with tons of Brasilians to drive up the price of everything.

Mendoza...same.

Rosario is cheaper on rent but not that cheap....but is also a very wealthy city.

I planted in San Rafael, Mendoza and absolutely 'love' living in this smaller city. Have certainly had 'ups and downs' but this is the place I want to stay. Have met the love of my life and she is from one of the best families in town and that further solidifies my future here.

I have been told by Argentinians that San Rafael is different from any other city in Argentina. An enchanting little town...

TC

Have you been there for one of the notorious hail storms yet? When we visited there, just outside town there was the most incredible hail. Some farmers we met later said it had killed people before. Kind of colored my attitude about moving to San Rafael, though I really did like the town. And the hail wasn't in San Rafael but I betcha it sometimes is.

voyagingknoxvillian said:
As far as Cordoba, I only know about 2 year leases with guarantees. I live in Barrio Cofico, which is an upper-class neighborhood about 10 blocks from Centro. I rent a 2 bedroom house for 2200 pesos. An average two bedroom apartment in the same neighborhood would be about 1800. Centro might be a little more expensive, but not too much more, no houses there of course. Nuevo Cordoba (where all the students live) is a great deal more expensive, I have friends there that pay 2200 for a one bedroom apartment, but it is brand new and has a fitness area, two asadors (that you pay to use) and a 24 hr door man.

Those prices are great. Way cheaper than what I am paying now, almost like dream prices. The concern though is if there are short-term, tourist type rentals like in BA. An appeal of BA is the surplus and ease of renting for under a year and no contracts involved. I've been wondering if the same type of setup exists in Mendoza and Cordoba.

Back