Buenos Aires - not for the faint hearted

That's true about most lawyers not working in January due the the feria judicial, but this is not related to that, he didn't go away on vacation and he's around but just not very agressive.

In a civil demand, unless you push it not much will happen, and that generally includes pushing your lawyer...

So just to give everybody an update.......I´ve initiated a lawsuit against the city of Buenos Aires government. The lawyer I am working with is somebody that I have worked with in the past, has real office in Microcentro, the main guy is about 60 years old and has been a lawyer for 30 years and his son who has been a lawyer for about 10 years. So far they have come and seen me at my store, wrote everything up and took time to go around collecting information from witnesses, etc. Just so everybody knows, when you file a lawsuit here, you are required to pay the "tasa judicial" or judiciary fee of 3% of what you are asking for in your lawsuit. So for a lawsuit of $100,000 pesos you have to pay $3,000 pesos to file, and if you win you get it back, if not, you lose it. This is done to cut down on people filing frivious lawsuits like people in the USA do. You can however, plead that you are broke, you need witnesses to attest that you don't own a home, car, etc, and you can be excused from paying the "tasa judicial".
I will keep everybody up to date on things, the lawyer told me that he expects this to take 1 - 2 years to be resolved.
So the saga continues.......

It's a wonder people don't buy stakes in lawsuits, sounds like gambling...hope you get compensated for your losses...

I decided to give this thread a "bump" for anyone considering opening a small businness in Capital Federal.

I realize all of this happened to David over ten years ago but it's difficult to imagine that things are better now for the person starting a small business n Capital Federal, especially if that person is a foreigner, and even more so if that foreigner doesn't speak Spanish.

Last edited:
what a hell of a story. I wonder what happened to the business though.

Buenos Aires - not for the faint hearted

Just in case anyone with romantic ideas is reading this thread…

Back