Buenos Aires: The PARIS of Latin America!

Because of inflation here and the decline of the euro, the price gap is not as great as it used to be. I am going to Paris in January. Based on my research 2-3 star hotels are about the same price as here. A friend who just came back said that a small coffee is the same or cheaper in Paris. When I was in Italy in January of this year I routinely paid 90 cents of one euro for an espresso. That was at stand up bars which is the way that almost all Italians drink coffee outside the home.

Unfortunately Ba is now more expensive than most of Europe and Asia and certainly is dearer for tourists than most destinations. I look forward to the day that prices reflect the reality of peoples earnings here . I agree with Sergio that a average holiday in Europe can work out cheaper than one here especially as there are more deals available In Europe than in Argentina

Buenos Aires can be a gorgeous city especially in the beauty of its trees and flowers . The wide boulevardes , beautiful corner cafes, stunning cupulas and 24 hour nighlife make this one of the worlds most special cities. To compare this city to Paris, Madrid or New York does not give an accurate picture as it has its own very strong identity.

pericles said:
Unfortunately Ba is now more expensive than most of Europe and Asia and certainly is dearer for tourists than most destinations. I look forward to the day that prices reflect the reality of peoples earnings here . I agree with Sergio that a average holiday in Europe can work out cheaper than one here especially as there are more deals available In Europe than in Argentina

Buenos Aires can be a gorgeous city especially in the beauty of its trees and flowers . The wide boulevardes , beautiful corner cafes, stunning cupulas and 24 hour nighlife make this one of the worlds most special cities. To compare this city to Paris, Madrid or New York does not give an accurate picture as it has its own very strong identity.

I agree that BsAs is beautiful, that it's not price, that is the atraction.
Holidays in Europe can be cheap because of the compedetive nature of the travel market, but the prices on the street are still exorbitant.
I still cannot understand those who claim it is expensive: I live in a one horse town in Wales, yet I can pay the high airfares and still live cheaper for four or five weeks of the year in Buenos Aires.
True I do not have to pay any rental there, but that is true also at home. Remember, when you look at prices, they have risen everywhere else as well. Inflation is not unique to Argentina.

They call Manaus the Paris of South America too (or the Paris of the Tropics or the Paris of the Amazon, depending on who you are speaking to) I don't think Manaus is a bit like Buenos Aires or Paris, come to that. Of course all three have wonderful opera houses but only one has its basement full of floodwater.

To give you a guide Tango Bob of some items that are prohibitevely expensive in Buenos Aires.
Indian Food, Asian Food and anyfood that is not meat is as dear as europe and double to three times the price in Asia. A simple Indian curry costs around 12 US dollars. a vietnemese pho soup if you are looking to find one is around 10 dollars and anything remotely exotic is exhorbitantly expensive. One example for me is Raspberries one of the most favourite fruits and Argentina is one of the worlds biggest supplier of this fruit and the price for a can at Jumbo 30 pesos . Cakes are prohibitely expensive especially any with some ingredients look at paying up to 70 pesos for a cake with nuts or any ingredients as all

Buying furniture and homewares is double USA prices. Clothing is also more expensive and lower quality .

Any electronic equipment is a plain rip off . I brough recently just a battery cable for my computer and the cheapest price was 280 pesos. Something that would cost 30 dollars elsewhere.
Fare to Bariloche Non resident 220 dollars one way and any fares to any cities are dearer than any other airlines in Europe. Where are the cheaper flights now that oil prices have dropped?

I can think of only a few items that are cheaper ie house taxes, electricity and water . Buying property can be cheap due to there being very little credit but also buyer beware . Trains and buses are cheap . For people who live a very basic lifestyle and do not eat out and live on wheat, rice and meat Buenos Aires can be cheap but anyone who aims for a better lifestyle you will pay top dollar for this and will end up spending more per month than most countries of the world.

sergio said:
Because of inflation here and the decline of the euro, the price gap is not as great as it used to be. I am going to Paris in January. Based on my research 2-3 star hotels are about the same price as here. A friend who just came back said that a small coffee is the same or cheaper in Paris. When I was in Italy in January of this year I routinely paid 90 cents of one euro for an espresso. That was at stand up bars which is the way that almost all Italians drink coffee outside the home.

A coffee in Paris is about 4 (or more) euros. That's 17 pesos.

Mini, In addition to Italy, I was in France in January and don't remember paying so much. Maybe the price you quoted is true on the Champs Elysee however it is not the normal price for an espresso. I did a little on line research and found that the price for "un café noir" is 1.10 or 1.20 euros, if you drink it standing at the bar. If you sit down, the price will go up to about 1.70. I pay an average of 6 pesos in Buenos Aires; some high end places charge more. Also keep in mind that the euro has dropped considerably.

Whilst I agree that electronics and household goods may be cheaper in the UK. $12 for and Indian meal??? Even with the weak pund that is still only about £7.50. Tell me where in the UK you can buy an indian meal for this price. I'll be there every night. I expect to pay upwards of £30 for two people.
But I am off topic again, Sorry.

In most cities of of Australia you have excellent Thai and Indian places that serve extremely good food in basic settings. The current price for three servings with rice is 10 dollars australian around 20 pesos . Im sure that in England that you have simple places that would charge much less than 30 pounds for two for a great indian curry .

In Buenos Aires the prices start at 35 pesos for a curry at any basic restaurant . If anyone opened up a decent thai or indian curry joint that prepared the meal on the spot and charged a fair price they would make a great income.

sergio said:
Mini, In addition to Italy, I was in France in January and don't remember paying so much. Maybe the price you quoted is true on the Champs Elysee however it is not the normal price for an espresso. I did a little on line research and found that the price for "un café noir" is 1.10 or 1.20 euros, if you drink it standing at the bar. If you sit down, the price will go up to about 1.70. I pay an average of 6 pesos in Buenos Aires; some high end places charge more. Also keep in mind that the euro has dropped considerably.

We are still talking about Paris, not France in general, right?

I guess we need to define 'coffee' first. I don't drink espresso hanging out at the bar. For a coffee with milk in Paris 3.5-4Euro (17pesos)*, sitting down at a cafe. Here in BA I pay on average 6 pesos here for a large cortado, 8 pesos at the Hilton, sitting down.

*on the Champs Elysees 6-8Eur

Back