Buenos Aires via USA?

I cannot disagree that going to and from any airport of consequence anywhere (except maybe Changi in Singapore) is a pure horror, inherent in the nature of being herded like cows to the slaughter, but I am curious about Fettucini's opinion that "everyone wants to avoid setting foot in the country at all costs." If so, who the hell are all those endless mobs one encounters at JFK, Dulles, and Atlanta? I do wish you were right, because it would make my necessary trips back and forth to the States at little more palatable. But what I see when I travel through US international airports are mobs, actually mobs, of people trying to get into the country. I wish there were a million or so other people like Fettucini who will avoid going to the USA "at all costs."

HDM said:
who the hell are all those endless mobs one encounters at JFK, Dulles, and Atlanta?

They're the ones paying for the airport. Oh, I know, you should do what John Travolta did and just build your own airport!

Hmmm this is interesting to me....I have traveled a lot and NEVER had any issues with U.S. customs...I am an American, my husband has dual citizianship, most of the time they joke around with us. Think your attitude and how you are feeling about going through customs shows through...you have an issue with it all they pick up on that...IMO.

My most recent trip back to the states the customs person in Dallas even said, welcome home!

I have had issues leaving small airports...very small ones...attitude there...once leaving my best friend in Albany, N.Y., and we were both crying like crazy...and the security person asked my why I was crying so much!! Crazy!!! This was not customs though...big difference I feel.

I was not implying that I have a problem with customs, only with mobs, and being herded on and off by airlines. In my experience, Evergreen is right. One gets back a virtual mirror response to the vibes they send out. If you appear holier than thou to a US customs agent, he or she is quite likely to give you a hard time. I would too. Holier than thou is not a pretty sight. I have been traveling internationally for the better part of 30 years, and not once have I encountered anything I would deem an unusual problem with immigration or customs. In fact, most of the time they are quite pleasant and chatty. My point is only that I wish anyone who feels like Fettucini does should simply avoid the USA, for which I would be grateful.

Wow.

I suppose I am not young enough, so that is why I am always treated courteously, always, at every airport I have passed through in the world.

I am always surprised how there are such diametrically opposed experiences from the people who visit this website. What could be the cause of that?

I'll just stick with Evergreen's analysis: You basically get back what you send out.

And again, my sincere thanks to any of you who remove travel to the USA from your list of things to do, because the fewer of you, the better for me.

We all have different experiences of our own. I've never had any issues with customs agents in the US. For sure I've encountered many stern agents that can often come across as "arrogant", but I understand that to be part of their job. They are not there to welcome travelers with open arms and a big smile. They are there to spot problem, control, and secure. Customs agents are specifically trained to be stern and authoritative. That makes people nervous and brings out the patterns they look for (lying, hiding something, etc.)

Two years ago I got pulled aside by a customs agent in Miami while I was coming from BA and heading the the carribean. I fit their profile; man in mid 30s, traveling alone. The agent checked all my luggage and he was like robocop, very serious and intimidating. I was very nervous as I was very close to missing my flight. All throughout he had a stern look on his face and asked many questions, but after he was done; he looked at me, smiled and said "welcome and have a good flight".... He was simply doing his job.

That said, I've been to many countries, and my worst experiences with customs agents have been here in Argentina. I have been stopped twice here at EZE and it has been unpleasant. But I understand it to be part of the process and I certainly will not let that keep me from traveling here or anywhere else. ;)

I think all the attcking and defending of US customs somehow misses the point, you will get good and bad everywhere.
The real issue is that if you are transiting in any airport in the world (except the US) you stay flight side, you do not pass through immigration, you do not pass through customs. You are not entering their country.
That is why when I pass through Paris airport or Madrid (my usual routes) I am on the ground sometimes for less than an hour.

HDM said:
I cannot disagree that going to and from any airport of consequence anywhere (except maybe Changi in Singapore) is a pure horror, inherent in the nature of being herded like cows to the slaughter, but I am curious about Fettucini's opinion that "everyone wants to avoid setting foot in the country at all costs." If so, who the hell are all those endless mobs one encounters at JFK, Dulles, and Atlanta? I do wish you were right, because it would make my necessary trips back and forth to the States at little more palatable. But what I see when I travel through US international airports are mobs, actually mobs, of people trying to get into the country. I wish there were a million or so other people like Fettucini who will avoid going to the USA "at all costs."

I would agree with your post. I wouldn't question the truthfulness of any of the posts here but I suspect general anti-American attitudes(a staple of some who post to this site) are at the root of some comments.

I realize there are probably problems with some individuals working the airports in the U.S. But you can say the same probably about anywhere in the world. I have friends from Europe and South America who travel to and through the U.S. routinely and I have never heard any complaints.

HDM said:
I wish there were a million or so other people like Fettucini who will avoid going to the USA "at all costs."
It looks like we are drumming up support in favour of that on this forum. In my case I will be avoiding buying a flight via the USA at the cost of 400 USD.

Back