Bus drivers in Capital Federal

Roxana

Registered
I just spoke to a bus driver a some minutes ago. He told me that 40% of the bus drivers who worked in the 80s and early 90s passed away before the retirement age of 55. Most of them because of work related diseases.

Their union is UTA, the same one that gethers the subway workers. The ones who work underground work 6 hours per day and get retirement at the age of 45. He said that the union's delegates are working hard to be able to retire at a younger age. He recognized that the owners of the buses run lots of money and are powerful enought to slow things down.

He told me that he is 34 years of age and has high pressure, very high colesterol and insomnia issues. He said that he loves his work and wouldnt change it for anything. Besides, he was complaining that after working 10-12 hours it was more stressful. He is satisfied with the wage he gets.

I told him that in some countries there is a "boletero", who could make things easier. He told me that back in 91-92 there were many boleteros in the buses, but the traffic was and is a mess anyway.

Umm.. driving a bus isn't exactly a "dangerous" occupation. If he has high pressure and high cholesterol, maybe he should get some exercise and adjust his diet. I hardly think he can blame his job.

Seriously - I'm not anti-union but retiring at 45 and they want to lower it:eek: That's just..wow.

He does phisical exercise 3 times a week.

The bus drivers retire at the age of 55 and the subway workers retire at the age of 45, because their work is considerer "insalubre" under the labor laws.

citygirl said:
Umm.. driving a bus isn't exactly a "dangerous" occupation.

I beg to differ. Driving a bus is extremely dangerous... for whoever and whatever may be around him or in his way, especially if he sees a yellow (or just-turned-red) light. I've taken to calling them 'locotivos'.

Fair enough - I stand corrected.

That being said, I think having high cholesterol and pressure can be a result of heredity, diet, exercise (or lack there of), amount he drinks, etc. It's a bit of a stretch for me to say it's solely because he's a bus driver.

I would also be very interested to read anything that substantiates a claim that 40% of the drivers died before the age of 55 because of work-related diseases. That seems....statistically very unlikely.

They bring a major contribution to the economy by removing the elderly people who are not productive anymore !

I'm a bit sceptic too about the 40% dying before the age of 55. Seems odd.

For bus drivers :
- Males can retire at 55 after having contributed for 30 years
- Females at age 52 (after 30 years of contributions as well)

Could be the inhaling of exhaust all day... I know when I get home from a nice ride on a bus I smell like exhaust. But then again most taxi drivers would have to die off before 55 if my "inhaling fumes" theory is correct.

Back