Bus from Lima to Buenos Aires

Bron

Registered
Hola,

I have a quick question: has anybody ever traveled between Lima and Buenos Aires using buses? In a couple weeks I will be making the trip and I´m interested to see if anybody has any input. We plan on passing through the North of Argentina and making it as cheap as possible (we probably won´t go through Chile). Please let me know if you have any info for me.

Thanks!

Bronson

Bron said:
Hola,

I have a quick question: has anybody ever traveled between Lima and Buenos Aires using buses? In a couple weeks I will be making the trip and I´m interested to see if anybody has any input. We plan on passing through the North of Argentina and making it as cheap as possible (we probably won´t go through Chile). Please let me know if you have any info for me.

Thanks!

Bronson

It's reputedly the longest bus journey in the world - a must-do if you are into that sort of thing. You can find out some of what you want to know from http://www.omnilineas.com/argentina/bus/retiro/lima-peru/ or http://www.grupo-ormeno.com.pe or if you are still in Buenos Aires, go along to Retiro and talk to the companies themselves. Don't rely overmuch on being able to book on the web: last time I tried the Ormeño site it had very limited functionality. Don't let that put you off, though. Have fun :)

I took a bus from Lima to Buenos Aires, using Quirquincho. It was the most disgusting experience I ever had.

Children sleeping everywhere, dirty diapers being thrown left and right.
My memories still remember the smell and still causes physical wretching just thinking about it.

I did this trip, for the record, and I arrived in Bs As very exhausted
However , it was anthropolitically interesting because I was probably the only Western tourist on board. 95 Per cent of people are Peruvian migrants who return to bs As.

The most unpleasant thing was that at the Bolivian/arg borders , everybody had to get off , get on the bus up to... 3 times! (police /inmigration controls..) with all your suitcase /bags. Controls can take more than 3 hours for the whole bus...Also I witnessed how customs officials stole things from humble Peruvian migrants (perfume, chocolates, whatever..) They also tried to intimidate me, but my intense eye contact ,helped.
Also bear in mind that Peruvian cumbia music will be played all the time..Earplugs and pacience.....;)

cricri58 said:
I did this trip, for the record, and I arrived in Bs As very exhausted
However , it was anthropolitically interesting because I was probably the only Western tourist on board. 95 Per cent of people are Peruvian migrants who return to bs As.
My worst ever bus journey was across the northern lowlands of Bolivia during the rainy season. Bruised and battered, we reached our destination three days late: the hammering on our bodies only eased when the bus tipped, nose down, over the edge of a washed out road, grounded, and was stuck there until it was towed out eight hours later. Eight hours of blessed relief.

I know that these marathon journeys aren't for everyone but they are part of everyday life in many parts of the world. I had the privilege of being there: the rest of the passengers didn't have any choice.

I have wondered what that bus journey would be like, it sounds horrible. Whilst it sounds like a nice experience, the experience would be too long for me.

Back