Bus to Lima!

Ben&Bliss

Registered
Hey everybody. I got a plane ticket out of Lima for real cheap; problem is, I have to get there first. I'm planning on taking one of the three day buses out of Retiro. What I'm wondering about is the visa situation I'm going to be in. Do I need to get a Bolivian visa for the bus ride? I'm not under the impression that I'm even going to really get off of the bus, so I'm hoping it's one of those things that they let slide. I'm expecting to get hit up for a visa in Peru, however. Anybody have any insight?
My REAL question, however, is about the habilitacion de salida. I have NOT stayed longer than my 90 day visa. However, the folks at the Andesmar desk insisted that I had to go over to migracion to get one. Is there something I'm missing here?

You need to talk to the empresa that sells you the bus ticket or hopes to sell it to you. Look for the lines that claim to be DIRECT to Lima, that is your best hope.

I heard from my econ prof that there is a special Peruvian bus line which is cheaper. I am sure like the Bolivian line, they are popular with Peruvians because they help citizens out to get through Argentine immigrations as easily as possible. Many of them came into Argentina to work and never updated any paperwork, so technically are illegal, though if they would have done all the transmites they would have easily been granted work visas as Mercosur residents.

My impression is that you do get off the bus, as I did when I went on the Bolivian direct bus from La Paz to Buenos Aires and vice versa. So I still had to get through immigration. And while I have my Bolivian visa, they did seem to be very strict about making sure they get your visa money.

I wonder if you could buy a ticket to Santiago, Chile and then get a ticket from Santiago straight north through Chile into Peru. Then, you would bypass Bolivia and the visa issue. Chile charges the 135 reciprocity for people entering by air, but not for US citizens entering by land just like Argentina, whereas Bolivia and Brazil ask for visas so you can't get out of paying the fee either way. It would be longer probably because it´s not direct, but that´s another option.

I forgot to add. It's been about 2 years since I have been to Peru, but I did not need a visa or to pay a fee to enter the country their. Did they change their policies??

You do pay a fee when you fly out of their international airport--maybe 20 or 30 dollars-but that's standard.

Thanks, Emily. He is on the way! (My bf and I share a login name). He got a direct bus as you recommended. Luckily it goes through Chile instead of Bolivia, it seems to be to avoid Bolivia's altitude, so there is no concern with the Bolivian visa. And he had no visa trouble buying the ticket, I think the first clerks he talked to were really unhelpful, maybe there was a lost-in-translations problem. Thanks for all your sound advice.

No prob! I am all about saving money when possible. How did you find the ticket if I may ask? You can send me a PM. I might see if we can try this route for my BF since we might be in La Paz again anyway over the Christmas holidays, especially since we will already have to pay out the nose to get him a visitor visa. I hope everything goes great! Be sure to post when it does because this might be a great option for budget traveling.

I forgot to add that riding on the long bus ride definitely was NOT the most comfortable experience in terms of meeting your basic needs like food, bathroom, temperature controlled environments, etc., certainly not for everyone, but if he was up for that adventure, that probably goes without saying!

hey, what a great trip, i just got back 3 months ago from doing that exact trip up to Lima through bolivia and back through chile. i recommend food, water, toilet paper and a blanket for the bus. 3 days is a long time and you really get to know your fellow passengers too. i am australian and did not need a visa or to pay for any of these countries, a warning though i did get stung in bolivia.

ensure that they stamp the loose piece of paper when entering bolivia AND also your passport, as when you try to exit they will charge you for not having both stamped. it was 200 bolivianos, nothing, but i saw many tourists on my bus had the same issue. looked like a little money making scheme, who knows? outside of that have a blast!!

Just wondering, how was the trip? What was the name of the bus line? What was the cost to go by bus to Lima from BA?
Thanks,
Mike

I was at the bus station and took a look at this...it's a 3 day bus ride, with non-reclining seats. And it's to LIMA. You will be sharing the bus with hippies and umm..."locals." Enjoy.

Even a 2-day bus ride to Sao Paulo with full bed seats and 1st class service, food, drinks, etc., is unpleasant. Sure it sounds fine before you do it, but the reality is different. You don't really get to see the countryside as much as you'd want to; it gets claustrophobic and uncomfortable no matter how nice the seats are; and you're stuck with whoever's on the bus. I can't imagine what this infernal bus ride to Lima must be like.

You bring up a good point, polostar88, the trip IS pretty much hell! And I complained the WHOLE trip, especially the restroom facilities...and I only went to La Paz. Right on about bringing toilet paper, and I would add snacks and various pain medications (even if you don’t normally take ANY) and headphones and earplugs to block out the non-stop terrible movies. And it is really much nicer if you are going with someone and don't have to snuggle up to a stranger the whole trip. It's already uncomfortable enough locked up with your loved one that long.

You are right, polostar88, the bus trip to neighboring countries is NOT for the faint of heart or really ANYONE who can easily afford better or anyone with ANY health challenges! It’s pretty awful. (Inner Argentine travel, overnight-over ONE night, though, I think is quite comfortable and doable by bus.)

But once we got to our destination, my memory was short and I enjoyed my travels. We saved so much on our trip to La Paz, three times the trip cost by air, so we could spend more time there. And so I am glad it is an option now that I am living off pesos.

Back