Bus Robbery

Am I wrong that a dog is easy to take out silently with a taser? A friend of mine had a doberman that was hit with a crowbar during a home invasion. Knocked the dog permanently senseless. I am a woman who lives alone. Please give me all the many ways to successfully defend myself against a couple of 200 pound men, okay? I know one way and I'm good at it but I'm willing to consider yours. Also, I think it's wrong to leave a dog to deal with a couple of armed intruders alone. I feel bad for the dog! A dog can be a good alarm system but should be part of a team. But good with petty thieves looking for low hanging fruit for the easy taking.

When my son went to work for the fire department and started working with the police (fire trucks go to all home invasion and other situations because the medical equipment is on the fire engine) he sat me down and told me, "Mom, it is a misconception that the police can protect you. They can't. They stand by in the area until it's all over and then they make the report. You have got to get it into your head that you have to protect yourself." I paid attention. I know one good way that works. Please tell me all the many ways you know about, okay?

I don't think the taser/dog equation works. Dog won't be quiet while you get close to it and distance is not something you should give away without a fight. Don't coun't on agressors here using batttery operated gear.

Same reason why I don't think tasers are a good idea if they are the kind that requires you to get in contact with the receiver. Distance is your friend.
Those tasers that use projectiles look nice as offensive weapons but as defensive ones and against probable multiple targets I rather deploy a gun than something that looks like one and might get me shot in return.

Reactions: tez
Chances are that they will show up in news, is not a normal crime, clarin will take any new like this to hit the government, let hope someone do something about it.
Where did this happen? is not common that this buses thief shot their guns in the steal process specially in a bus, i work in clarin and there are very few cases like this normally something like this happen when a police show up, that why is a little suspicius maybe the objetive it self was to kill that people and not the robery who knows, let hope they find the perpetrators.

True, often they just run on the bus and steal whatever they can. Sometimes they chop the bus drivers fingers off too. :s

Seriously? The "guns" are evil and need to be controlled? Can not believe you really think this way about inanimate objects. Why don't post a pic of an evil black automatic assault rifle then? Why the pic of this wacko instead?

Haven't seen any media articles on the bus incident. That is definitely not a nice area of BA and is normally under Prefectura's watch. Can't remember how they named that corridor. You're likely to get killed on the spot if you mess with Prefects.

I work there (In grupo Clarin, Compania de medios digitales) i take the buss every day and i can tell you that the area is a little ugly but i go without that much of a worry, at least in the day there are 360 employs in the building and since the company move here some years ago there haven't been incidents related to the area it self, there are lot of companys in the area and lot of truck driver movement to, people pass over here for work and there are very cheap restaurant in the area where you can eat very well, surprisingly, of course is not a place where i will be walking at middle of the night alone that for sure, but at 9 not that big of a deal.
I'm triying to find something about that incident but nothing yet is weird are you sure was in Parque Patricio?

Iznogud, what about the dog that was hit with a bat in order to do a home invasion? That was in the U.S. You have to get relatively close to the dog for that. Plus it isn't electronic.. The dog wasn't being quiet. But he didn't seem to even know he was a dog later.

Just because I have an inquisitive mind, I'm going to check with my kid who carries a taser and see if you have to be that close. Perhaps I don't understand a taser. But if a person has a taser, I don't think it would matter. I'm a woman and I'd get close to a dog if I had a taser. I admit I'm not a wimp, but you really think that a man wouldn't? Are you guys being real? A dog is good against non desperate petty thieves who don't want to mess with a dog if a neighbor has no dog. Also you have to keep your dog inside. You'd do that in an apartment but what about a house and a fenced yard? An outside dog is easy to defeat. Plus then you have the daily care and expense of the dog for perhaps 12 years or more.

And for you guys who want to trust your wife and kids to a dog, I won't argue with you. To each man is the responsibility for those who depend on him. My husband used to make sure we were safe.

Hang on, this is wierd... I live a with my girlfriend a street away from Caceros y Rioja and that night I was with a couple of friends around Caceros y Jujuy at 9 pm. Did not see or heard any ambulance or police cars, even my friend who lives in Rodeau y Solis (block away from Entre Rios) said that nothing happend that night...

I work there (In grupo Clarin, Compania de medios digitales) i take the buss every day and i can tell you that the area is a little ugly but i go without that much of a worry, at least in the day there are 360 employs in the building and since the company move here some years ago there haven't been incidents related to the area it self, there are lot of companys in the area and lot of truck driver movement to, people pass over here for work and there are very cheap restaurant in the area where you can eat very well, surprisingly, of course is not a place where i will be walking at middle of the night alone that for sure, but at 9 not that big of a deal.
I'm triying to find something about that incident but nothing yet is weird are you sure was in Parque Patricio?

Not my post. The OP said it was near Caseros and Entre Rios or close to Pque Patricios (10 blocks from there). I visit the area often and I briefly lived nearby for a couple of months. I would not stick my head out of the apartment past sunset. No, sir. Early in the morning it's definitely mostly workers in transit.

I think in multiple layers of defense. (might seem overkill to some people, but works for us)

1. We picked an apartment based upon the neighborhood: no quick escape access streets, the portero, the video camera at the entrance, not on the first, second, or third floor, the locks on the doors, and no easy rear access to the building.

2. (When we had one) our dog was trained by me. He would bark at a particular person on the street with a simple finger gesture from me. He was trained to give three quick LOUD barks at any noise from either our doors or windows then look at me for the next move. I regularly staged "break-ins" with one of my friends who worked for SWAT canine. Once he got the "go" signal he would attack. Samson got a REALLY big treat when he attacked the perp "with enthusiam." My wife and kids were trained in how to handle him, as well. He responded to attack commands from all of us. And, was one of the most loving, caring, best friends I've ever had. Am trying to work out getting another one to train.

3. I am armed, am trained in how to clear my house at night, and know how to hit what I'm shooting at. My wife is armed, is trained in how to clear our house at night, and can shoot almost as well as I can (some days better).

4. My kids know how to effectively defend themselves (they are 8 and 12). They have access to knives in the house (not firearms, yet). They know hold to hold them properly for a fight and are trained in how to fight with them. They are also trained on how to respond to an intruder being in the house. I pity the thief who thinks because they are "little kids" they won't be a problem.

5. We have a motion-activated security system in our apartment. Brought it from the US. We lock down the main living room and front door of the apartment at night. Everyone knows what to do, and we run drills, in the case the alarm goes off. We all practice calling the police in the middle of the night.

6. We twist keys in all of the locks at night so no-one can push them out from outside the door.

I might have missed somethings but that covers most of it.

Semper Fi

Re: Tasers. If you are going against a dog, you will likely have to sacrifice a limb or something else to keep its mouth busy while you approach it if the taser is the close contact type.
The wired flechette type is another story, but you better not miss.

There's likely a few taser instructional videos on Youtube.

Back