Bus Transfers?

djlinse37 said:
Guia T doesn't do it for me (or other newcomers I suppose). We want to know *exactly* where a colectivo is going, not just some 10 square block grid that it passes through at some point (without having to flip back and forth and try to read the tiny print of all of the street names).

Of course, Guia T is good to have in your back pocket if you don't have your computer handy... (Or to use as a threat! See the end of paragraph 3 of http://www.micheleandtom.com/2009/06/tuesday-adventure-at-the-hospital/)

That's the problem with the Guia T and following the streets in the back. You first need to know the city well enough to know which directions certain streets run before it becomes easier to follow the street to street guide in the back.

For a long time I took the 152 and nothing else. Then I slowly started branching out. Also, when you are walking or going from subte walk to cab ride... keep an eye out for bus numbers that you recognize. You might have seen a number several times near your apartment and never thought about it and then you saw it near Plaza Italia or in San Telmo or go up Cordoba and you find yourself thinking: "I could have been taking that bus for months now."

Keep your head up and keep asking for help. Learning the bus routes takes a long time, but it gets to the point where you're thinking "Callao to Parque Norte for soccer? The 37 #3 or #4 of course..."

"Cordoba to Chinatown/Estadio River Plate/Vicente Lopez in Gran Buenos Aires? The 29. Ask me a difficult one."

Back