Buses

This 'who has the best buses' contest has become very surreal! Clearly the rivalry between the two countries is a little more hostile than is useful. Closer economic partnership would benefit both.

I hear Santiago is a great business city but the smog is a little pervasive. Mind you on certain days the smell of trash on certain street corners here isn't so delightful.

Tangentially, why in Nunez are there containers, which help contain the trash problem and in parts of Belgrano there aren't?

Ask Macri, trash in the streets es PRO!

I'll put most of it down to neighbourly rivalry.
In my opinion Santiago is much cleaner and more developed than BA but not by much.

The long distances buses Ive taken here have been great in both countries.
Los collectios in BA are pretty shoddy but get me to where I need to be.

Going back from Chile to Argentina there were some friends of the busdriver in the back of the bus. They were going to work somewhere in the middle of the desert, so they shared the ride with us for the first 4 hours. As they were friends of the driver, they were talking to him all the time, shouting from the back of the bus, and the driver answering with the microphone. The best thing was when they started requesting music, or actually just one single song. The entire 4 hours... Imagine yourself going through the desert, volcanos on one side, llama's on the other, sand everywhere, and 6 Peruvians in the back of the bus singing out loud for hours and hours, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FODnwIleksk

It forever changed my feelings about Chilean busrides. For better or for worse, cant say.

This 'who has the best buses' contest has become very surreal! Clearly the rivalry between the two countries is a little more hostile than is useful. Closer economic partnership would benefit both.

I hear Santiago is a great business city but the smog is a little pervasive. Mind you on certain days the smell of trash on certain street corners here isn't so delightful.

Tangentially, why in Nunez are there containers, which help contain the trash problem and in parts of Belgrano there aren't?

The smog is terrible, and the river is the ugliest ive ever seen, brings no charm to the river at all. But what i do love about Santiago is that the Germans there never forgot how to bake a cake. Its full of schwarzwalder and other lovely creamy pastries that i was missing so much. They understand breakfast better for the same German reason too.

Some people may think that Chile has an edge on Buenos Aires across the board. But let's focus on the most important thing - Chile can't touch the BsAs expat community!

For people who are interested in a more thoughtful and humorous view of the Buenos Aires Bus System, a British expat and stand-up comedian, Daniel Tunnard, has written a book about riding every line in Buenos Aires.

You can listen to an interview he did with The Buenos Aires Podcast below.

http://bacast.com/s3-e20-buses-colectivos-and-bondis/

Interesting comments. I have to say that I came back from Chile a few days ago. In Chile, I rode a bus from Santiago to Viña del Mar. And really, I couldn't find a big difference from our Argentinian buses.

It is amazing what a not nearly as bad dictator (Pinochet) can do for a country , vs. the one's that were in Argentina.

I believe some standard or ethic or civil responsibility was instilled in that generation that carried Chile to what it is today.

Been there many times and have family there as well.

And please , I do not approve of what Pinochet did , just post Pinchet seems to have worked better for Chile than post Militars in Argentina.

The fundamentals of the succesful Chilean economic policies were set by the Pinochet era economists, The Concertacion, center- leftist governments for 20 years continued those policies

Well that is because you have to travel more my friend don't stay with the impression of the capital only, almost all the people of the interior in Argentina is like that the problem here are the Porteños in my experience (not all of them anyway).
The Chileans are the way they are, i personally don't like it for personal relations but is true that they take more serious their work, but that happen the same in lot of places in the interior of the country in Argentina and I’m sure that the same apply for other country’s.
There's many aspects where Argentina and Chile are a world of difference the same apply between Buenos Aires and the rest of the country, chile drive their economy better than any country in the region but still they are not wonderland, they have a lot of problem, even when they export almost the same than Argentina but with the difference that they export more than nothing raw mineral materials, that alone explain the grow on their economy and the total lack of industry let them open their economy to free market without fear of loosing industry, (same recipe that were used in the Beginning of Argentina with the cattle and farms but they do it with mines, that have the risk that when prices stop going up or you exhaust the mines then you are done).
Chile is a country with very few infrastructure outside Santiago region, they don't have gas in almost all the country they keep using wood or gas tanks for calefaction beside the capital, they connect their southern province using Argentina roads, chile is a country where is so expensive to study and so limited to only rich’s that the average chilean have to come to study to Argentina, is a country without public health where the inhabitant cross the border to get attended in the hospital of the nearly argentine city, a country with very boring cultural life, well i could follow but i make my point off course they have lot of good things to, specially if you like order and they do have a very stable economy that i admire this is not a critic to Chile i think chile have take lot of good decisions in the last 20 years where Argentina Hasn’t but they still have big things to solve, go and live there and you will realize that not everything that shine is gold, same go for Buenos Aires is not the same as a turist as when you go to live there.

To resume yes there is a world of difference between Chile and Argentina but that go in both ways for good and for bad ;)

Sorry for the mistakes in the write i just arrive home and i may have drink 1 or 2 more bottles than i should, and i don't feel like reading what i write and correct it :)

Oh man i just realize that i answer to the wrong person lol

Your commets are SO inacurate that would be to long to rebate, only a few need be discussed, I assume you have spent years working and travelling along Chile?

Chile's Total lack of industry,!!!!!
Minerals Constitute about less than 50 % of the total exports.

Chile has no gas distributions System. !!!!
I personally participated in the construction of the billion dollar gas pipelines connecting Argentina to Chile to supply, all major cities, Santiago, Valparaiso, Concepcion, Antofagsta and the extreme south. Chaco and other provinces here have no gas, as well as villas, using Garrafas...!!

Chile has no public health system !!!!
Well the system is probably as deficient as the one Here...!!

Chile has an educational system, or only for the rich
One would conclude that Chile is full of rich people since, hundreds of thousands attend college. Higher education is not free, as in many developed countries

Chile uses Argentina roads to connect the Southern provinces
Expensive to build a road thru the Fiords.

And so on...!!

Your commets are SO inacurate that would be to long to rebate, only a few need be discussed, I assume you have spent years working and travelling along Chile?

Chile's Total lack of industry,!!!!!
Minerals Constitute about less than 50 % of the total exports.

Chile has no gas distributions System. !!!!
I personally participated in the construction of the billion dollar gas pipelines connecting Argentina to Chile to supply, all major cities, Santiago, Valparaiso, Concepcion, Antofagsta and the extreme south. Chaco and other provinces here have no gas, as well as villas, using Garrafas...!!

Chile has no public health system !!!!
Well the system is probably as deficient as the one Here...!!

Chile has an educational system, or only for the rich
One would conclude that Chile is full of rich people since, hundreds of thousands attend college. Higher education is not free, as in many developed countries

Chile uses Argentina roads to connect the Southern provinces
Expensive to build a road thru the Fiords.

And so on...!!
It will take to much time to answer this and true be say i have already enough with answering another post, providing some cities with gas is not equal to have a gas duct system across the country, the same that the road, the same with the hospitals, and with education they study but they take to much time after to repay for it, you are in debt for big part of your life in other words (we are talking of university education), health system here as bad as it can look if you need something will do more than fine, i have actually use the public hospital of my town until i got 18 without any problem as there are no option to the public hospital in there, the same with the public education and if you are going to discuss of chile don't talk just of santiago and 3 more citys that are around, talk of the entire country. And you thing is expensive to build road thru the fiords then i can tell you is it not expensive to build many thousand of kilometers just to reach a little town in patagonia, is it not expensive to give them natural gas yes is extremely expensive the same with education and public hospitals that simple define the infrastructure of a country. When the people of your country depend on the roads of another country and cross daily the borders to use your hospitals and use your university’s then something must be really wrong with your infrastructure.

Back