Business Idea Feedback Requested From Senior Expats

I have to agree with Ajo. I think if Macri wins there might be more chance of import and currency restrictions getting removed at some point, but with Scioli? Still time to the elections, but Scioli's looking pretty strong. I don't know what he's going to do, how much of Cristina's "reforms" he's going to continue with, etc. Some of those things require reversing programs that were already put into place, like the whole systems of charging extra taxes on overseas purchases and the limits on how much people can buy in dollars being linked to their earnings reported to AFIP. How long will it take even the most aggressive president to get those things changed with the power structure Cristina is also leaving in place?

If Macri wins, or Scioli shrugs off the Kirchner shroud, one would assume that markets would open up or at least have slightly more freedom than they do now.

In my opinion, if someone was to looking to import, then after elections would be too late to gain the advantage over competitors. It would be most advantageous to begin the process as soon as possible. Policy isn't the only barrier to the importation business in Argentina: corruption and out-dated red tape also create severe hurdles.

To combat these obstacles one should start investigating the, sometimes underhand, ways that businessmen use to get their product past customs. Relationships need to be built, secret workarounds discovered etc.

There are possibilities, along with less competition and greater profit, to be had if you could begin importing now, more so if importation policy doesn't change in 2015.
If you have the capital you could export a product to gain the necessary 'credits' to import your phones. You could also lobby a government official to grant you a permit to assemble the phones here under Industria Argentina. Although both these methods would put you under the scope of AFIP scrutiny and would, I assume, be completely infeasible for the minorista importer.

That's my completely inexperienced opinion.

Reactions: Joe
Back