butter

seeker said:
htf can a country so full of fekking COWS suffer a shortage of freaking BUTTER!!!!

It's totally $%$£%$%£ crazy.

By the way, this totally mysterious shortage must be related to the fact that butter's gone up at least 50% the last few months...

I think you are right. When I mentioned the butter and the previous sugar issues to my land lord, she said this happens every time there is a significant price raise. The suppliers hold the product pushing up the price because of this "shortage" and then miraculously all the supplies go back to normal and the prices are jacked up.

I actually dont think there are that many dairy cows here, and because of import restrictions is hard to get external supplies when production is down. With the droughts and and farmers shifting to crops because of higher prices and less export restrictions maybe the production has dropped. Below is estimated herd size for 2009.

Dairy cows 2009 (million):
India: 120.3
Colombia: 4.61
New Zealand: 4.4
Argentina: 2.15

Argentina is appox same size of india, NZ is 10% size of Arg.

polostar88 said:
As far as I remember, nowhere to get organic milk in BA either...I think their dairy industry is unfortunately highly regulated, so that's why these things happen.

This is exactly correct. The government seems determined to kill the remaining gooses, the dairy industry being one. The article linked below on the dairy industry discusses Argentina in some detail. The article is from 2006 and I will bet the situation is only worse today.

http://www.card.iastate.edu/iowa_ag_review/summer_06/article2.aspx

Yes, my grocery stores are always running low or completely out, too. The Disco by my house has rations, both on butter and sugar.. you can only buy two at once. Drives me crazy because I bake a lot. AND prices of butter (along with everything else) have been skyrocketing lately. I paid $6.80 for a 200g stick today at the chino (I'm in Almagro).... Arrrggg! And actually, coincidentally, just wrote about this the other day: http://rubiarubia.com/wanderlust/sudamerica/2010/06/the-price-of-butter/

About five years ago the government fooled around with farm taxes and drove many small dairy farmers out of business. Now there are milk shortages and imports are the only choice. It takes years of breeding and culling to get a good "tambo" going.

@bob--interesting article. I had no idea that this was all related to the Doha Round. And it's facinating to read how government meddling with imports and exports has caused this ludicrous mess. Dammit. The country is replete with food. Or should be. This shouldn't be happening. It's mad!
@casanda. Nice blog, and I completely understand how you feel when you go shopping. Prices here jump up (and down too) like punks on a pogo. Prices here in Buenos Aires are very, very odd. Frinstance, in say, San Cristobal, a working class district, fruit and vegetables are cheap. Really cheap. In the posher northern suburbs, you pay at least 2 or 3 times the price. It's completely unlike london, where there's only a slight variation in posh area/poor area street market prices for such commodities. Anyway, I could burble on about prices and markets and how the price system here doesn't seem to match supply with demand till I'm left discussing this stuff with the cat. Sometimes it feels as if we are living in a demented economic experiment.

@Katti, how observant! Come to think of it, for the last two weeks we have only been able to buy a small bit at our supermarket. This week though, we were able to get a big one. Thanks for bringing this up...I learned some interesting things about ag and trade politics...from a forum called “butter!”

@seeker. That’s why I live in San Cristobal! I paid 1 peso today for fresh basil, a peso for a head of spinach and lettuce, a peso per kilo for oranges and mandarins, a peso for a kilo of tomatoes. 1 or 2 pesos for potatoes. I bought one bell pepper for 0.85 pesos. Come on down, Cassiem13, to make your paycheck go farther to the chino at Pinchicha al 700 (technically still in Balvanera by a block)! Stock up on your veggies!

Back