Buy Chilean pesos for trip?

pscheffer

Registered
Hey there,

I am a Dutch journalist flying to Chile for 10 days to write some great stories.
Obviously I would need some Chilean pesos to pay for expenses.

Does any of you know if I can change Argentinean Pesos to Chilean Pesos anywhere in BA or does the same Soviet doctrine apply to it as does to the US Dollar?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

I'm pretty sure the same rule applies for any foreign currency. If you are here with a work visa, you should be able to go to afip and get permission to exchange a limited amount of pesos for your trip.
If not, you can either use a credit card over there or take money out of an atm from your Dutch account in Chile.

Thanks for your response. Just happens to be that I

a) don't have a creditcard, we prefer saving over taking on debt :p
and
b) my debit card is being replaced by my bank, due to suspected fraud (or something they told me)

So i'm currently cash only...

pscheffer said:
Thanks for your response. Just happens to be that I

a) don't have a creditcard, we prefer saving over taking on debt :p
and
b) my debit card is being replaced by my bank, due to suspected fraud (or something they told me)

So i'm currently cash only...

You have to get permission from AFIP, like Ashley said, you have to give them proof of travel and how much it will cost you while you're away.

Then you have to wait, I think, 48 hours to get approval. Then you can go to the exchange houses and get your money converted.

If its urgent, I'd just do it in the blue market and buy dollars. Then go to Chile and convert them. But you stand to lose A LOT that way.

I have no work-permit by the way. Because journalists don't need one if they are accredited. Some international treaty blahblah.
So I can still go to AFIP and request a cambio right?
And in case I get send all over the city for some tamps upon stamps, where would I find such an exchange house?

Or better yet, anyone here who's got some Chilean Pesos to spare? :)

The other logical option would be to just buy Chilean pesos with your Argentine pesos once you arrive in Chile. You'll probably get peanuts but it is the easiest way to go.

I'd see what the AR-CL exchange rate is, do the math and compare before running around town to buy blue dollars.

Santiago is heaven for money exchange. Exchange shops are everywhere and its not uncommon to see up to 4 exchange shops all next to each other on the same street, all competing on price. Giving an extremely small margin between the buy / sell rate. Argentine pesos are no problem and there is no restrictions when changing to US dollars.

Have to add to my last post, like anywhere else in the world, do NOT change any money at the airport

Back