Buying A Car As A Tourist

A Chileno in Santiago once told me, when there is a few people standing and chatting nothing of interest but then an Argentinean joins the group and starts talkin'...Run, Run the hell out of that Argie proximity, 'cause once the Argie starts talkin' he will con you in a big time and steal everything you have got.! The Argentineans are one very smooth talker I hear.! Especially the ones living circa Mendocino's region...

Thank you all so much for replying to my post. I really appreciate your time and comments. I spent quite a bit of time fixing the mess I created when I purchased my car in Panama. Again, thank you for your help!
It appears the more hassle free solution would be to be legally authorized to drive a car belonging to an Argentinian or permanent resident for my stay in Argentine and visits to Chile. Now, I just have to find the person willing to do it.

One possible solution might be buying a car in Paraguay although it does take several months to obtain local license plate.

Does a Paraguayan plate generate the same hostility as Chilean?

One possible solution might be buying a car in Paraguay although it does take several months to obtain local license plate.

No but you will be stopped suspected of being a drug dealer

Great! Are there not private individuals who rent one or more vehicles like in Nicaragua

Considering the police in the AR provinces have sometimes the reputation of being very annoying, you're likely to get stopped at each & every checkpoint in every province that is not on the route between BA and Asuncion.

I'm moving to san martin de los andes in early April on a tourist VISA . I have three Golden Retrievers that will be flying into EZE with me . I want to buy a car/SUV and drive it to SM from BA. I'll pay cash for the SUV in BA to avoid financing . Will I be able to do this ? If not , how can I accomplish this ? The car rental has a huge penalty and would cost approx. $ 1,700. Id rather spend that on a car > Thanks Kevin

Back