Buying A Car As A Tourist

The Embassy will not get involved in a private business transaction by a USA citizen??

AGAIN ... you or your relative must contact a dealership on whatsapp and get all the answers to your questions valid today.
When you express your firm desire to purchase they will find the answers.....answers may differ..!

Don't waste your time elsewhere..!

Thank you

I once (half a year ago actually) asked almost to death an AFIP office

to buy a car on a tourist VISA . Is this legally possible ?

Yes. it is legal. But you can not get out of the country with your own argentinian plated car, you will have a car for internal use only, AFIP will not allow you to cross border with argentinian car if you are a tourist (only citizens or permanent residents can do it). There is one exception for tourists - rented cars, if it is rented offcially you can cross border.

You can drive in and out of Argentina ANY other car (chilean plates, american plates etc) does not matter if it is yours or not.

is am I allowed to buy and drive a car legally on a US Passport, Tourist VISA and International Driver's License ? Thank you

Nobody cares about your visa, this question is for DNM, you should always show all the documents about the car, why are you permitted to drive this car, your driver licence and ID (any that you have, passport for ex). Inside Argentina you can drive any car, but as I said with argentinian car they will not let you out.

contact a dealership

I don`t recommend it. They will tell whatever they want to sell a car. They do not decide nothing. Fishmanfun, ask AFIP.

Yes. it is legal. But you can not get out of the country with your own argentinian plated car, you will have a car for internal use only, AFIP will not allow you to cross border with argentinian car if you are a tourist (only citizens or permanent residents can do it). There is one exception for tourists - rented cars, if it is rented offcially you can cross border.

You can drive in and out of Argentina ANY other car (chilean plates, american plates etc) does not matter if it is yours or not.

Nobody cares about your visa, this question is for DNM, you should always show all the documents about the car, why are you permitted to drive this car, your driver licence and ID (any that you have, passport for ex). Inside Argentina you can drive any car, but as I said with argentinian car they will not let you out.

I don`t recommend it. They will tell whatever they want to sell a car. They do not decide nothing. Fishmanfun, ask AFIP.
Thanks again

Thank you very much

Ok , can someone please help guide me in the right direction . I'm moving to Argentina soon and want to buy a car on a tourist VISA

How soon is soon?

I just want to be sure you have seen the post in the coronavirus thread about the two week quarantine which is now in effect for anyone ariving from the USA.

It appears that you won´t be free to do any FWD shopping or drive across the country for at least two weeks after your arrival.

Two weeks from now things could be looking much better, but they could also be a lot worse, given the way some people are acting here.

Of course it´s entirely up to you when to come.

Waiting for the all clear seems like the best approach to me.

How soon is soon?

I just want to be sure you have seen the post in the coronavirus thread about the two week quarantine which is now in effect for anyone ariving from the USA.

It appears that you won´t be free to do any FWD shopping or drive across the country for at least two weeks after your arrival.

Two weeks from now things could be looking much better, but they could also be a lot worse, given the way some people are acting here.

Of course it´s entirely up to you when to come.

Waiting for the all clear seems like the best approach to me.
Wow, I have hernia surgery in the AM tomorrow ! So I'm not flying until the end of April which as you said could be better or worse ! Thanks again

In about a month we should be able to see which way the thing is going.

In the meantime, I'm going to stay home with the dogs - looking forward to a relaxing time with them.

As a friend once put it: "A dog is the ideal companion because it understands English but does not speak it". Bless their doggie hearts...!

Last edited:
In about a month we should be able to see which way the thing is going.

In the meantime, I'm going to stay home with the dogs - looking forward to a relaxing time with them.

As a friend once put it: "A dog is the ideal companion because it understands English but does not speak it". Bless their doggie hearts...!
Thank you so much ! Good luck with your puppies !

Thank you everyone for useful info!
I am planning to move to Argentina in a couple of months, and would like to buy a car.
@Fishmanfun , please let me know if you have succeeded in buying a car and how it went.

Back