Buying A Car

Are you sure you want a car? ;) If you're going to be living in the city center, you might want to consider living without one. I want to pull my hair out every time we go into the city - the traffic is awful and the roads are, too. Parking... risk of theft/vandals.... tickets :eek: When we stayed in the city for a while we took the car and just left it parked. It was much easier to get around by bus, taxi, or simply walking. If you're going to be living on the outskirts or far away from city center, then you probably do need a car.

I'm not sure if you've given it any thought, but reselling the car when you're ready to leave and taking the funds with you may be a challenge... depending on how much it is and what currency. :)

I've had a car here for about 4 years, haven't been allowed to take it out of the country being a foreigner, but recently got my temporary residency DNI.. anyone know if this will let me cross the border of Argentina? I'm planning a road trip outside the country, and assume that the temporary DNI will let me take it out, but a little worried as it didn't work for getting a mobile phone contract (being a temporary DNI).
Anyone know about this?

Actually, it seems it's now possible to take a car out of Argentina if you are a tourist and its owner (was not possible before: check the old threads).
Reason being that the Customs offices at the border are now connected to a database and they are able to determine if taxes/fines are due on the car.

Still, it might be some kind of Twilight zone (depends if a jerk at the border wants to annoy you).

A member of this forum (L**a) had an horror story about it but everything went fine at the end.

Not 100% sure about this though but it seems it's possible now.

You may have worked for Toyota for 25 years, but that just means you got deals on new cars, and so, are out of practice buying used cars.

>Oh Hello Ries, I know when I talk about the used carmarket, World-wide, used carmarket. I have been around the globe in my 35 years with Toyota/Lexus brand. I know about cars, be them new or used ones,I am a Car Guy..

Buying a used car always means doing your homework, looking at lots of models and makes, and finding the best price on the latest model, lowest mileage car you can.

>I know, I know. when rying to find that used car best suited to your budget and style, you got to do your leg work.
I know , I was young once as well..While in College, I was hopping from car lot to car lot, all over Tokyo..
Once owned, Fiat 1600 spyder, ( convertible to you the Gringos) Had an Alfa Giulietta, a 1750 Alfa coupe as well.
Then owned a Datsun 240 Z coupe, Ferrari Dino too,A Toyota Supra Twin Turbo 6 spd manual. Awesome car ! Very nostalgic
with then high tech of mid 90's.. Currently have sitting in my garage, a 39 Chevy Coupe..A trully classic, semi-Hot Rod too.

Here are the excerpts, >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Classic and sort of Europeans? How about a Hot Rod (Moderately soft on power) customised from ground up:
A 39 Chevy coupe or 2 doors sedan, call it the way you want it..

Only the outside shell is the nostalgic ol' good 1939! but tires, rims, all interior upholstery,
seats I mean, all car inside out has been customized, A 427 c.i. Corvette engine, a 350 hydramatic trans,
hydraulic/pnewmatic suspension set up, all power windows,power remote controlled windows up-down,
( Car has no _door handles_!) thus the remote controller. Cruise control,tilt wheel,A/C H/V all the amenities.
So Iam not only expert in new cars, but I am a Petrol Head too.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If it was me, I would be looking at all the amazing vintage cars available here- its not like the USA, where many people routinely put 25,000 to 50,000 miles on a car every year- in the CF, you might only put a few thousand miles on a car a year, and could get away with a fussier car with more character- there are great old Fiats here, for example, and lots of mechanics who know how to fix them-
Personally, I would probably buy a Rastrojero, but I am an old truck or sportscar guy- not a sensible car type.

I love the Fiat 1600 sport coupe, for example, non-existent in the states, rare but findable here- a classic little fastback
.http://auto.mercadol...-inmaculada-_JM
Lots more classics here like that- 60's and 70's cars that are pure unobtainum in the USA, fun, cheap, and good looking.Or, you could buy the latest VW, the one they make thirty million a year of. Reliable, Boring.

Actually, it seems it's now possible to take a car out of Argentina if you are a tourist and its owner (was not possible before: check the old threads).
Reason being that the Customs offices at the border are now connected to a database and they are able to determine if taxes/fines are due on the car.

Still, it might be some kind of Twilight zone (depends if a jerk at the border wants to annoy you).

A member of this forum (L**a) had an horror story about it but everything went fine at the end.

Not 100% sure about this though but it seems it's possible now.

Yeah you're right, it is possible to take the car out of the country if you are NOT a resident OR going through the process of residency.

Since I had pruchased my car in early 2008, before I had applied for residency, I had crossed the border many times with my US Passport, cedula verde and insurance papers (you have to have MERCOSUR rated insurance to cross). Once the customs guys gave me a little hassle, but I was persistent and they let me pass.

Last year I was taking the wife and a couple of brothers and sisters back to Paraguay and had not yet gotten my permanent residency completed (long, idiotic process for one stupid little detail that took a year to resolve...).. When I got to the border (after 13 hours+ of driving straight from BA!) they denied us permission to cross because I did not yet have my DNI. I'd never known that was an issue having crossed before with just my passport and not realizing there was a restriction on someone applying for, but not having received, residency. I was about to send the family on to Concepcion by bus when I talked to an official off the record and he told me about the ferry border crossing a couple of kilometers away from the official Clorinda crossing, where they were much more lax. There, the customs officials were reluctant, but I was able to convince them to allow me to do it on condition that I returned through their crossing so there would be no problems.

Fettucini, I'm fairly sure that temporary residency allows you to take your car through a border crossing, but not 100%. You should verify that, maybe someone else here knows.

SMG seguros (swiss medical group) ORBIS & Banco Provincia Seguros are the cheapest best insurances, at least in zona norte, thought you might be interested.
I pay $260 for my VW Golf now in Provincia Seguros, I was paying $500 in Nacion Seguros.
Hope it helps

I've had a car here for about 4 years, haven't been allowed to take it out of the country being a foreigner, but recently got my temporary residency DNI.. anyone know if this will let me cross the border of Argentina? I'm planning a road trip outside the country, and assume that the temporary DNI will let me take it out, but a little worried as it didn't work for getting a mobile phone contract (being a temporary DNI).
Anyone know about this?

Not sure , but could you expand on how, when and where, were you refused to leave the country with your car? I'm also in that situation and want to Drive to Uruguay??
thanks

OK, since I am in Car in Argies topic forum, let me ask the followings:
My upcoming trip to Argentina is in combination to also visiting Chile.
I wanted to hit Argentina and perhaps if my link to Toyota Argentina
can be found, I may buy a Toyota branded motor car there, Do you Guys/Girls
recommend new vs used,? Does the used vehicle depreciates as bad as in the States,?
Here in CA state, You purchase a brand new car or truck, and the minutes after it gets registered
in the CA Department of Motor Vehicle, it is known fact that, the new vehicle you just purchased
for let say: USD$25k plus Tax,License,Etc.depreciates, _Are you ready_...A Whopping 30% !!

How is it in Argentina? I might purchase a vehicle in order to travel the vast land mass of Argentina
and cross over to Chile. Then afterwith, how easy to sell the vehicle I have bought for the trips..
I understand that the Economy of Argentina is in a turmoil now days,despite, I still consider purchasing the vehicle
and travel all over, a few countries in SA..

When a foreigner buys a car in Argentina, he is not allowed to take it to another country. An arcane law on the books.

Yeah I've mentioned repeatedly what the current conditions are for taking a car out of the country :) This according to folks at Aduana and my lawyer.

- Passport only - you are allowed to if you have Passport, Driver's License, Cedula Verde and Insurance Papers. You may have some small argument from Aduana, but just let them know you understand that you can and be persistent. Of the 5 times I drove to PAraguay BEFORE I was in the process for residency, I only had one minor issue with Aduana and on being persistent they let me pass.

- Residency - Only with a DNI, once the process has been completed and you have it in your hand, but definitely not during the process while you're still under precaria or even, once it's approved, until you actually have your DNI. The only thing I'm uncertain about is whether or not Temporary gives you the same rights as Permanent.

Back