Buying a new car

gonzalob54

Registered
I was thinking on transfering dollars to a dealership's bank acct. to buy a new car using WU. Has anybody done that? A brand new car right now is a lot cheaper than a US dealership..

I'm not sure if the dealerships will accept an international wire transfer, as it's not exactly the same as a normal CBU transfer. This hasn't worked for me in the past with other purchases.

If you are a resident/ are able to open an argentine bank account, the best option is to wire yourself money via Western Union and then pay at the dealership via bank transfer.

I'm currently buying a used car and private parties want cash. I'm buying with my Argentine boyfriend who has a banco Macro account, so I ended up sending him various Western Union bank transfers (as advised in previous thread here). However, when we tried to withdraw at the cash at the bank, they said we needed to prove that we were a couple (had to get police verification that we live together) and I had to provide proof of income and documentation of my bank account and transfers to be able to withdraw. Apparently if I had gone to an escribano and declared the money as a donation to my boyfriend, that would have sufficed. Ultimately I was able to do so, but they gave us the very large sum in 100 peso bills that filled an entire backpack.

Anyway good luck, let us know what you find out!

Mind me asking type of car, models sellected and reasons for your pick?

I'm looking for a car but have no experience.
Thinking of something for city and short trips but will need to accomodate 4 people.
Not very interested in sedans or 4wd. Mid size. Discrete enough.

Thanks.

Iz

We asked around for the easiest car to resell. Every answer we got was the Volkswagen gol. Looked at a few and found one that was in pretty decent shape. Tons of smoking in cars here, and many living life parked on the street so the bumpers were all messed up.

I think bank to bank Western Union you can send 10k usd in one transaction. I'm not sure how many of those transactions would be allowed per month or year.

Do used cars have a lower or no tax on them? It would seem best to buy new since no repair costs and with how little they depreciate but is there a substantial tax on a new or newer vehicle that might make buying used better.

Mind me asking type of car, models sellected and reasons for your pick?

I'm looking for a car but have no experience.
Thinking of something for city and short trips but will need to accomodate 4 people.
Not very interested in sedans or 4wd. Mid size. Discrete enough.

Thanks.

Iz
Just bought the VW Nivus a few months back. We love it and definitely recommend.

That car shure looks like a winner and is the reason I started this thread. Famous VW one litter engine with turbo, plenty of power, over 40 mpg and less than 20 grands..I'm in love.

Back