Buying dollars legally gets even harder now

My wife's going to be so impressed that I invested our savings in that Dollar printing machine I have stuck in our basement.

Oh .... wait .... is this a PUBLIC forum?

garygrunson said:
So you can still buy dollars worth 25% of your salary, that is not so bad. I mean if you are just buying for personal use or savings. If you have more money then I am sure you are using the black market anyway.

I can't believe I'm reading this...not so bad? So you go to the black market to purchase the rest of your dollars, that means you lose 10-12% of the value of your hard work, which in essence means 10-12% of your time spent at work you're working for nothing. Not so bad?? It's an absolute travesty for the hardworking Argentine people.

The grim reality is, the central bank doesn't have enough dollars to sell people at the official rate and that is why they are doing this. The exports, that bring in dollars to this country, don't nearly cover the amount of dollars that this government has to spend to keep the country afloat, just think, 1/3 of all oil and gas to cover electricity generation, cars on the road, machinery for public works, water and gas delivery to homes, plus shipping equipment, construction equipment, raw materials, airplanes, all have to be purchased in dollars. Plus 90% of the people want to convert all of their pesos to dollars. So where are all of these dollars going to come from? Unfortunately this is only going to become more and more of a negative balance. And the ONLY solutions are 1) People learn to live with pesos in Argentina and only use dollars when they go elsewhere, or 2) This country adopts the U$dollar as it´s currency like Ecuador, El Salvador and Panama have done (which was supposed to happen about 20 years ago) or things will never be economically stable and things will continue to fall apart every 10 years or so. That's today's global economic reality.

So for those of us who have dollars to sell... what is the latest rate being offered at the cuevas?

here is how things work in another country: i am currently in NYC for a few months (my permanent home) and right now i am in toronto for a few days, where we once lived for a couple of years (and still have a bank account). so yesterday i go to the bank and tell them i want to withdraw $15,000 in U.S dollars. it's our money, ok? like it's our money in buenos aires. (we earned it!) so, first i stand in line for 3 minutes. then the transaction takes another 2. i was in and out in 5 as if it were normal, money (or, rather, bank draft, in hand. hell, it IS normal!

mariposa said:
here is how things work in another country: i am currently in NYC for a few months (my permanent home) and right now i am in toronto for a few days, where we once lived for a couple of years (and still have a bank account). so yesterday i go to the bank and tell them i want to withdraw $15,000 in U.S dollars. it's our money, ok? like it's our money in buenos aires. (we earned it!) so, first i stand in line for 3 minutes. then the transaction takes another 2. i was in and out in 5 as if it were normal. hell, it IS normal!

Woah wait hold on! You mean the government DID NOT have to give you permission to withdraw your own money the way you wanted, in the currency you wanted?

That is preposterous!! Unheard of, I tell you!!

But then again, "If you're not for Peron, you're a traitor!" Welcome to Argentine politics and the herd of sheep that bows down to it like it was a religious command sent down to us by God via CFK!

Do this in a free society and you're out of office the next day, do this here and you win your reelection with 54% of the votes. Oh the world we freakin' live in!

Back