Buying internationally from Amazon or Alibaba

expat0tree

Registered
hi,

i wonder if buying power tools from alibaba is safe for argentina considering the import duties and possibly super long delays. i noticed there are so much more choice outside this primitive country for a better price too but i wouldn't want to be surprised with some kind of additional import tax that would make the whole thing a sheer gamble. can any advise me on that?

thanks a lot.

Travel somewhere else, a buy it. Take it out of the box and smear some construction adhesive or scuff it up a bit. Carry it through customs with no issues.

why would alibaba be different than any other outside retailer like amazon?

From what I have read online people are buying on European and US Amazon sites and also on the Newegg. Delivery is door-to-door, all taxes including impuesto PAIS are applied automatically. I believe European Amazon (or at least amazon.es) does not charge VAT. Delivery takes 1-2 weeks what is reasonable in current situation.

It makes sense for some products, for others the final price is about the same as on Mercadolibre.

Here is an example

From what I have read online people are buying on European and US Amazon and also on the Newegg. Delivery is door-to-door, all taxes including impuesto PAIS are applied automatically. I believe European Amazon (or at least amazon.es) does not charge VAT. Delivery takes 1-2 weeks what is reasonable in current situation.

It makes sense for some products, for others the final price is about the same as on Mercadolibre.

Here is an example

Wonder how you return stuff if the need arises...

hi,

i wonder if buying power tools from alibaba is safe for argentina considering the import duties and possibly super long delays. i noticed there are so much more choice outside this primitive country for a better price too but i wouldn't want to be surprised with some kind of additional import tax that would make the whole thing a sheer gamble. can any advise me on that?

thanks a lot.
Alibaba is reputable.

I have to imagine anything coming into Argentina via Alibaba is going to be taxed the same as it would be from any other source.

To think otherwise is a certain (As certain as certain can be.) error. So be aware and forewarned.

I have to imagine anything coming into Argentina via Alibaba is going to be taxed the same as it would be from any other source.

Yeah, but the question is whether you will have to deal with the customs yourself, go to Ezeiza to pick a package, stay in lines etc.
Some foreign online stores are better accustomed to deal with the Argentine clients and purchase and delivery process is easier.

Last edited:
why would alibaba be different than any other outside retailer like amazon?
some prices on alibaba seem cheaper but i don't know anyone who bought from there and what kind of red tape i'd have to deal with, i'll look into amazon also, maybe it's better.

From what I have read online people are buying on European and US Amazon sites and also on the Newegg. Delivery is door-to-door, all taxes including impuesto PAIS are applied automatically. I believe European Amazon (or at least amazon.es) does not charge VAT. Delivery takes 1-2 weeks what is reasonable in current situation.

Here is an example

the video is not very clear. so she paid more in import taxes on her phone than the european value of the phone? and then 30% on top of that ? why did she buy it then? it looks like there is enough rip off bureaucracy in place to dissuade anyone from ordering like that.

Travel somewhere else, a buy it. Take it out of the box and smear some construction adhesive or scuff it up a bit. Carry it through customs with no issues.
are you suggesting crossing into paraguay via misiones? i see no point in flying. too costly. too much of a pain in the ass.

Back