caballo questions

Alex_H

Registered
I was wondering if anyone on this forum could point me in the direction of where I could get my hand on some horse trading statistics.

I am looking for the details of the equine vet society of argentina (I know it exists but I don't know its name) and I was wondering if there were available on the size of the industry.

Specifically, how many polo horses are traded a year compared to the number of racing horses. Also what the average price is that they sell for and what is considered a top end spend.

I would also love to know the number of horses which are transported internationally per year and where on the whole they go.

Any info or leads of where to go would be much appreciated :)

We don't really say horse-trading anymore ;) But if I understand correctly, you're trying to find out how many horses are sold a year? That data doesn't exist anywhere AFAIK.

Are you looking for TBs? Endurance horses? Jumpers? Polo ponies? Dressage horses? All of them?

Where they go depends on what facet of the industry you're looking at. It also changes year to year. Many of the clients who used to come to the auctions for jumpers were from the US and Canada. Now we see a lot more people from other South American countries.

Also on a less-appealing note regarding export and horses, Argentina is the leading exporter of horse meat in the world. I believe they exported (per the latest article) close to 75,000,000.00 USD worth of horse meat to Europe, Asia, etc.

Re prices - again, that data doesn't exist and people sure aren't interested in reporting it:D I will tell you that prices can go anywhere from a few hundred dollars for a backyard pony to in the million dollar range for a top showjumper or racehorse or polo pony.

ETA:
The two places I would start would be Fomento Equino and SENASA. They may be able to give you detailed information (specifically SENASA with regards to export).

$75million in horse meat???? thats astronomical.

haha citygirl - Im pretty sure you're the one a few months back who set me straight on the spelling of bridle.

Thanks so much for all the info - I'm interested in all horses and just wanted to get an idea of the sizes of the different industries.

ghost - FT only lets subscribers read articles...I'll get onto that over the weekend.

I may have been :)

If you have specific questions, I can probably help you or know someone who can. SENASA would probably have hard numbers on the amount of horses exported.

With regards to the size, it's really impossible to quantify due to the number of unregistered horses born every year. Unless the criador gets them registered, there will be no official record AFAIK. That's much more frequent with what I call "backyard ponies" - bred by people as pets and not taken off property.

For us, all the horses we have are inspected, registered, etc as they need their papers every time we go to a show.

Argentina is #1 in terms of breeding polo ponies, the TB industry is strong here with many US TBs shuttling here for the winter (here) months to stand at stud. THere is a good int'l market for jumpers although as I mentioned, due to the int'l economic crisis, we see far fewer Canadian and Americans coming here - now it tends to be people from other S. American countries. There is a good market for Endurance type (Arab, Arab X) horses which frequently ship here-Europe-and then wind up racing in the Middle East.

Anyway, I'm rambling on but let me know if I can help.

Back