Cablevision HD service

Eternalnewbie

Registered
Anyone here have Cablevision HD service? We had it installed day before yesterday. The technician left after telling us that it would take "15 to 20 minutes" before the server loaded the data into the box and the channels would all appear on the TV (a new Sony Bravia). Well, a couple of hours later, there were no channels, with "no data" in each slot. Called Cablevision and was told the servers can be slow downloading the data and it can take a few hours. Next morning, no data, no channels. Called again. Servers really slow, but be patient, the service will be up today (yesterday). Nope. Today, still no data, still no channels. Except a channel 90, which seems to be Cablevision's info channel. Called again. Be patient. Servers are slow. It will be up today.

I don't think I believe this now.

Anybody else had this HD service installed? If so, how long did it take before it was fully operational?

And anybody want to guess why Cablevision keeps offering a stupid runaround when anybody can see there is a problem here, it's not a "slow server."

Eternalnewbie said:
And anybody want to guess why Cablevision keeps offering a stupid runaround when anybody can see there is a problem here, it's not a "slow server."

Because this is argentina.. I have had to do my own fixing of cable cabling because they just never turned up when they said "a technician will be there within 48 hours." this was 2 months ago, and never seen a techie or a phone call or anything. Its a shame they arent that unreliable with their bills.

And maybe the gods are telling you something.. 200 channels of crap gives you 200 more ways to waste time !!!!!!

But I want my crap to be sharp and clear.

Anybody have Cablevision HD? All I want to know is how long did it take for the service to work?

Eternalnewbie said:
But I want my crap to be sharp and clear.

Anybody have Cablevision HD? All I want to know is how long did it take for the service to work?
About eight hours. Installed in the morning updated for all channels in the early evening. You are dealing with a company that is the sorriest excuse for customer service on the Planet.

Oh, so it does eventually work? Is it worth it?

Although, in my case, thje 15 to 20 minutes, which was 8 hours for you, is so far pushing 48 hours for me.

Eternalnewbie said:
Oh, so it does eventually work? Is it worth it?

Although, in my case, thje 15 to 20 minutes, which was 8 hours for you, is so far pushing 48 hours for me.
First you have to make 52 phone calls to customer service, get on a first name basis with them.
Have you tried a hard boot? Unplug, wait 2 minutes and heat it up: turn on. Otherwise, keep calling. Good Luck.

I'll try a hard boot, since my chances of seeing a tech this year are slim. I could always stop paying for it, all they can do is turn off what isn't there anyway. Thanks for the recommendation.

If you ever want to see a room of seething angry people about to lose their minds, go into a Cablevision/Fibertel office on a Saturday morning. I remember we were in there once and there was a guy in front of us who had obviously just torn his router out of the wall, cables attached and all who was just standing there with his numerito in hand fuming -- had he been a cartoon he would have had smoke coming out of his ears...

Fibertel/Cablevision has been the source of so many angry angry customer service calls for us over the years. I'm a pretty nice person, pretty rational, but put me on the phone with a customer service person from Cablevision and I will be swearing and screaming down the line within about 5 mins....

I have never encountered such rampant incompetence as that which exists in Cablevision/Fibertel, their customer service department is a black hole of brain activity - the days we have wasted waiting for them to come at the appointed 'hour' (read here 8 hour span) then the next time we would manage to get through to them they would claim they had turned up but nobody was home. We passed more than two months trying to fix an internet connection, and now we still get phone calls from them threatening legal action if we don't return their modem, the same modem, of course, which we returned nearly two years ago when we cancelled the service. The usual Argentine standard of incompetence is paradise compared to these fools.

You are dealing with a category of idiocy never before encountered in multi-cellular organisms, tear up the contract and run screaming while you can, if not NEVER let a technician leave your house making promises of getting parts, calling auditors etc - kidnap at least one of the bastards and chain him down, you will at least have a bargaining chip then.

Good luck, you're going to need it.

Back