Calling abroad from a pre-paid mobile phone card

lynxsharpeye

Registered
Hi, I just landed here yesterday, so HELLO to everybody. I got me a pre-paid mobile phone card with CTI Movil. I was explained by the clerk that it is impossible to send SMS messages abroad, but now I am finding out that I cannot make a phone call either. When I am trying to dial European phone numbers, I use the usual pre-dial 00 - country code - the actual number, but then - instead of a connection - I get some pre-recorded message. (I don't speak any Spanish as yet). Am I doing something wrong, or are these pre-paid mobile phone cards not suitable for international calls? Thank you for your help on the matter.

Why don't you ask some person who speaks english and spanish to listen to it and tell you what does it say? May be it is just "All lines are busy now" or "You've dialed a wrong number" ?

Hi Igor, I surely will do so on Monday when my Spanish course commences. But until then, I am very unlikely to meet such a person (and it pours outside as if there was no tomorrow). I just wanted to let my family know that I arrived OK. In principle, I just wanted to know whether it is possible to make an international phone call from a pre-paid mobile card issued by CTI.

"lynxsharpeye" said:
In principle, I just wanted to know whether it is possible to make an international phone call from a pre-paid mobile card issued by CTI.

Yes it is possible but you must ask for activation of it. It costs nothing and they also speak English there. Go directly to (i was on first one) :Microcentro

Domicilio: Florida 902 . Esq. Paraguay. (1005) Capital Federal

Horario de Atención: Lunes a Viernes de 09:00 a 19:00 hs.

Sábados de 09:00 a 13:00 hs.

Teléfono: (11)4109-9400 / (11)4109-9500

Service In House: Lunes a Viernes de 09:00 a 19:00 hs. or Centro

Dirección: Av. de Mayo 878 - CP 1084. Capital Federal

Horario de Atención: lunes a viernes de 9 a 18 hs.

Caja: Lunes a Viernes de 9 a 14 y 15 a 18 hs. Cobros en efectivo.

Migraciones / Reconexión/ Suspensión

Cambio de NIM - Cambio de SIm

Ventas de Líneas nuevas, Equipos y Tarjetas.

Retención y Fidelización: GER / Fidelizacion /Campañas y resultados.

Service In House: No posee.

bye alex

"Fishface" said:
... they have cross network problems and silly dialing rules as it is suposed to be a 'national' carrier. ...

so tell me another one which don't have this problems ?? I don't know any company because each of them (including Movistar) have that problems. Surely the problem is the management and the technical staff :) bye alex

It's pathetic!!! I tried to call my family back in Europe and even though I didn't get connected, it swallowed my 20 peso credit. In terms of mobile communications and the Internet - this is a 4th world country.

"lynxsharpeye" said:
In terms of mobile communications and the Internet - this is a 4th world country.
This is indeed a 4th world country and not only in terms of communications...

"charly" said:
In terms of mobile communications and the Internet - this is a 4th world country.
This is indeed a 4th world country and not only in terms of communications...
Yeap, I figured that already. Not my cup of tea. Going back to Europe in mid December, counting down the days now ....

Jesus Christ "The mobile phone companies are bad here so I'm leaving and I'm telling mommy, buhuhuhuhu poor me" "This is a fourth world country, and I am a great first world man"Am surprised that somebody who just arrived and doesn't know anyone who speaks Spanish was able to get a prepaid phone card, when I tried to they demanded a DNI number from me.

Take some advice as stated on SMS messaging, personally I had no problems with personal. My advice would be don't waste your time with a mobile for anything but local calls, use a locatario to call home, it really is cheap as chips. It costs me less to call my daughter from Argentina than it costs to call her from Wales. They have a meter in the booth so you can see how much it is costing.

Back