Calling abroad from a pre-paid mobile phone card

"Elpanda said:
Am surprised that somebody who just arrived and doesn't know anyone who speaks Spanish was able to get a prepaid phone card, when I tried to they demanded a DNI number from me.
Could be that you are an immediately recognizable asxxle? What's your problem? Don't like it, so I am leaving. I know better places where to spend my $$$. You can stay in this dirty, thieving, undeveloped place. I can afford better.

"lynxsharpeye" said:
I know better places where to spend my $$$. You can stay in this dirty, thieving, undeveloped place. I can afford better.

And why you came to Argentina even if you know all stuff is bad here and only 4th world country ?? For just a joke or wasn't your $$$ enough vor Monte Carlo ?? *ROFL* Should be better you leave as soon as possible :D

except for quick local calls, forget your local cell phone. argentina, infact most of s. america countries, have some of the highest per/min cell rates in the world. instead get a VoIP service like skype and call via a PC. far better quality and it's virtually free. BA has an expansive network of free WiFi hot spots.

"schef4711" said:
I know better places where to spend my $$$. You can stay in this dirty, thieving, undeveloped place. I can afford better.

And why you came to Argentina even if you know all stuff is bad here and only 4th world country ?? For just a joke or wasn't your $$$ enough vor Monte Carlo ?? *ROFL* Should be better you leave as soon as possible :D
This is the dumbest post I came across on this website. How would I know how bad it is here unless I experienced it myself? By listening to moxxxons like you?

"schef4711" said:

And why you came to Argentina even if you know all stuff is bad here and only 4th world country ??
He came here because, as he so eloquently put it, he didn't know how bad it was going to be. VERY SIMPLE. Many foreigners have this rose-colored view of Argentina but then come here and wake up to reality.

Many foreigners also go there thinking another day another country and this one is called Argentina and then..... then... then they realize that Argentina is really paradise on earth, sure it may have its flaws but if it were not for them then one wouldn't be able to differentiate in between good or bad. Then there's the other group of foreigners that goes there, they arrive at Ezeiza by plane and go straight from there spend their first few nights at a hotel in microcentro where they learn of the safe and touristic neighborhoods San Telmo, Recoleta and Palermo where they find themselves furnished apartments to rent at high prices, then after spending time and money in those neighborhoods they leave the city thinking "Buenos Aires aint nothing special" when the truth is really that they themselves are nothing special.

"charly" said:
He came here because, as he so eloquently put it, he didn't know how bad it was going to be. VERY SIMPLE. Many foreigners have this rose-colored view of Argentina but then come here and wake up to reality.
Everyone knows roses fade. Go any where, with an exagerated view of what it will be like, and you will be dissapointed. Buenos Aires has some unique charms but also some flaws, whether you love it or hate it depends on your preferences.
I think that to judge a place on whether you can use a mobile or not somehow misses the point. We live in an age of technology that has removed us from human contact: vist the parks, see the museums, admire the stunning buildings,Tango, talk to the people ( you may be suprised how many speak or want to speak english) forget your preconceptions, be overwhelmed, then go home and remember a place that you may have decided is not for you, but you enjoyed just the same.

"Elpanada" said:
Many foreigners also go there thinking another day another country and this one is called Argentina and then..... then... then they realize that Argentina is really paradise on earth, sure it may have its flaws but if it were not for them then one wouldn't be able to differentiate in between good or bad.
Then there's the other group of foreigners that goes there, they arrive at Ezeiza by plane and go straight from there spend their first few nights at a hotel in microcentro where they learn of the safe and touristic neighborhoods San Telmo, Recoleta and Palermo where they find themselves furnished apartments to rent at high prices, then after spending time and money in those neighborhoods they leave the city thinking "Buenos Aires aint nothing special" when the truth is really that they themselves are nothing special.
You forgot to mention the group that tries to be more Argentine than the locals themselves... Those foreigners praise everything Argentine and get defensive if someone doesn't, and tell the locals what they want to hear... Also, they spread lies about this country to make it look better ("isn't Argentina safer than the US", remember?). They might think of themselves as "special", but in reality are nothing more than a bunch of butt-kissers.

"tangobob" said:
I think that to judge a place on whether you can use a mobile or not somehow misses the point. We live in an age of technology that has removed us from human contact: vist the parks, see the museums, admire the stunning buildings,Tango, talk to the people ( you may be suprised how many speak or want to speak english) forget your preconceptions, be overwhelmed, then go home and remember a place that you may have decided is not for you, but you enjoyed just the same.
Tangobob,

Technology can be good or bad depending on how you use it. I myself have a cell phone and it hasn't removed me from human contact at all... Anyway that's another issue. No offense but I think it is you who is missing the point. The guy above was complaining about BAD SERVICE. In my opinion, his anger is totally justified. What he described is just another example of the Argentine "screw the consumer" mentality.

First of all: I got my cellphone and prepaid card (with CTI) without any problems, didn't need a DNI, didn't need my passport... and it works perfectly well to call abroad with it, never had any problems with that.
Secondly: why does every thread here get so ugly, with people being mean to eachother, badmouting other foreigners staying in BA, complaining about Arentina/ argentinians/ prices/ service/ yadayada and accusing others of not "being here for the right reasons"?
Are all expats here that unhappy and frustrated? Or are expats in general just not nice people?

Back