Calling all amateur Chefs – reinventing the humble empanada

Alex_H

Registered
A quick search on Wikipedia suggests the first empanada was baked in Catalan in the year 1520. Although there have been some notable innovations in that last 500 odd years we feel the empanada standards (carne, pollo, verdura, jamon y queso, cebolla y queso and finally, queso) have reined supreme long enough.

A group of us are going to kick off the long weekend by getting together this Friday night to test some recipe ideas we’ve had and wanted to see if anyone else was interested?

Basically, everyone coming will bring about a dozen of their homemade empanadas and what ever they feel like drinking. We’ll test them all and decide which ones have legs, what changes to try next time and swap recipes.

the wife and i would be very interested in participating... but we'll be in on our way to chicago. let me know how it goes and i'd be down to host the next round.

yes! would definitely be interested but cannot make it this Friday

thanks for the responses...to be honest with you - I hadn't even thought of making it a recurring event....but will definitely let you know how this one goes and would be keen to do another one down the track when you guys are free!

I love this idea! I can't make it this Friday but would be interested un attending the next one if it happens.

Just checking that no one else wants to come along tomorrow who hasn't already told me so.

So far we have:
Cream Taragon chicken & mushroom
Croque Monsieur (or Croque Senor)
Empas with an asian twist (recipe courtesy of the famous Chef Mun!)
Gluten Free Empas
and about 5 or so other flavours from participants wishing to keep their creations close to their chest.

Here are several previous posts on some interesting flavour ideas for those looking for inspiration:

http://baexpats.org/food-drink/17135-southern-bbq-pulled-pork-empanadas-shepards-pie-empanadas.html
http://baexpats.org/expat-life/11084-you-can-put-anything-empanada.html

Heres a list of the flavours tried Friday - it took us until about 3 am to get through them all but can happily report we made it!

The Waldorf - Blue Cheese, Celery, Walnuts and Raisins

Bacon & Plums

Rattatoui

A spicy lentil and spinach

Croque Senor (gruyere, ham, mustard, sour cream and paprika)

Tarragon Chicken in a creamy white wine sauce

Gluten Free Arabic Empas (shish meat and a garlic dipping sauce)

and to finish off Banana & Dulce de Leche

It was a really fun night - for those of you who couldn't make it - I would definitely be keen to do it again another time.

Back