Camera And Tablet Stolen From Back In Ezeiza

Why would anyone put electronics, or your wallet, or your keys, or your medication, or jewelry, etc, in a checked bag? Why?

Why would anyone put electronics, or your wallet, or your keys, or your medication, or jewelry, etc, in a checked bag? Why?
These are the only reasons I can think of: liar, stupid, thief (wants to report theft to insurance, didn't really loose the stuff), or REALLY NAIVE.
Nancy

There is little reason to think that it happened in Argentina over somewhere else, in my opinion. If it came from the States it is every bit as likely to have been there. My son and I both like to bring desktop computers if staying here for a length of time. He also sometimes brings a used desktop for someone else. WITHOUT FAIL they will break the catches on the back of the CPU to look inside when it would take little IQ to figure out how to open it the normal way but no, they just pry it open and break it.

So who knows? But for my part I would probably not blame Ezeiza or Argentina. As for leaving valuables in a suitcase, I agree with all here, it's better not to do it, but a person SHOULD be able to send their stuff in their luggage without having it stolen. But in a real world we have to be real. Also honest people who haven't travelled a lot might just be too trusting.

I'm curious ... do they have nice luggage which looks like it might contain something worth stealing? I use beat-up luggage which (I hope) looks like it would contain nothing worth stealing. (And actually doesn't!)

Thanks, Bob

The quality of luggage is fairly irrelevant if there is access to x-ray equipment! :D

You figure how this airport thief at Luton decides what to go for! :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0VOh88i-hg

I saw a TV prog which had hidden cameras inside an aircraft hold and it was amazing how quick the baggage handlers were in going through locked bags even before the plane was emptied!

I can't find that one on Youtube but it was at Heathrow. Loads other Youtube stuff on airport thefts in USA airports.

Not just an Argentinian phenominem :p

I've used those plastic wrappers at Ezeiza before - but that is because my bag has had so many airmiles I'm more concerned with it falling apart - if you see the way they are thrown around once in the tender care of airport staff :D .

The cling wrap film DOES reduce chance of having things stolen from luggage. I use it when I need to. Also , luggage is getting a little worn. I seem to remember a few years ago , a dozen or so workers at EZE were arrested for stealing from bags. Police set up a sting with cameras. Maybe they need to do it again.

Hi All
Thanks a lot for your feedback. Looks like that my friend will have the camara and tablet covered by a company insurance.

Also FYI the theft was from a checked-in luggage from a standard looking bag.

Mostly due to lack of travel experience.
Or because they packed it in hand luggage, which they were later forced to check-in, with insufficient time to repack, e.g. at the gate.
And because they were in a rush did not think.

By the way, most, if not ALL Insurance Companies will require a POLICE REPORT.
So, regardless of what others tell you, go and try to get that report. Even when it is only a piece nof paper with a stamp.

Do not rely on Lufthansa's recommendations! Unfortunately, this airline has lost their decency and care for their passengers... Do report to the local police (you will need it for the insurance) and of course, report it to the Insurance company.

Back