Campaign Watch

Doctor: "I am very sorry, mr. X, but you have cancer in your liver, stomach and your colon."
X: "Skin cancer too?"
Doc: "No"
"Ah, but then everything is much better than it could be."

Matias, in Argentina, which has resources to be among the ten - possibly even five - most affluent countries in the world, there is no reason to be the least satified with the present conditions.

If "it could be - and has been - worse" is enough to satisfy Argentinos, then I don't see Argentina having a future worth speaking of, forever chained to incompetent and corrupt politicians with the population accepting the condition.

I didnt say it is perfect, but you have to live a long time in this country to notice when a government is different from the others. I dont like the Ks that much, but theres a world of difference between this government and the past. Where we come from? the worst crisis this country ever had, how are we now? you think when you analyse our current situation we can not look where we come from? 10 years of growth, with social inclusion, every single social indicator went up, is that an accident? this is the first government that really cares of the poor, the first government with social programs. the first government in decades to include those people.

So, I know there are still lots of things to do, to change, but they have done a lot, and at least for me, was unexpected. There is an unavoidable improvement of this country, social indicators, economic indicators, industry, every harvest ndicator went up, record of meat exports, record of milk production, of wheat, wine, cars, and a long etc. You should have lived in this country during the crisis, or the 90s, or the dictatorship, or the hyperinflation, those years were sooo much more critical than this moment. So as i said this is kind of the first government in decades that wont end with a huge crisis, a good symptom of what Im saying. And something that invites to be optimistic.

As if measuring anything against those dark days suddenly brings us into peaceful, sky blue havens.

Ok. We have better debt as a percentage of GDP than the dictatorship, than Alfonsin, than Menem, than Alianza, and than Duhalde.

And Venezuela has the largest oil reserves in the world...

Arguing with Matias is like beating a dead horse. These UBA graduates just can't see past the fact that because this government may have been better than the last doesn't mean it is actually any good.

Its not like is better than the past, is the better we have had since the dictatorship!! (40 years)

and what has to do Im a UBA student? UBA had 5 Nobel prizes, which university of the world has that?

I think this video and this picture is going to be regarded as one of the (hopefully) milestones of the decline of the Ks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xrym0sYcE0

notificacion12.jpg

Articles in (somewhat) English:

http://buenosairesherald.com/article/142926/traffic-stop-controversy-engulfs-campaign

http://buenosairesherald.com/article/142937/cabandi%C3%A9-insaurralde-reported-for-abuse-of-authority

I dont like Cabandie at all, I find this attitude arrogant and he abuses of his charge, but this situation happened in May and it appears in the middle of the campaign 6 months later. That should also talks about the people who show this video now, and not when it happened.

Is it more important that Cabandie and Insuarralde are exposed as corrupt or that the media exposed their corruption at the moment when the story would get most exposure?

Who should we hold to higher standards, the media or elected politicians?

It is shameful to obfuscate here, the media aren't breaking any laws by releasing the tapes whenever they want, these corrupt fools are.

My point is, the media are also corrupted. And the trick is, as they denunce it, people dont see that.

That doesn't make any sense. I don't think you understand the claim you are making, and if you do you should be ashamed.

Who broke the law here? The media releasing the story at a time of maximum exposure are doing their job. You might not like that they chose to inflict damage at election time, but their readers do and it is completely legal.

actually, the gendarme also broke the law by taping it and selling it to the media. And the media waited 6 months to show it, so they are not innocent. You should know, the media is a political actor, as it is the government, as it are the unions, as it were the militars. They are a political actor, they have interests, they are not innocent. And they are of course corrupted as it is Cabandie.

BTW did you notice how edited the video is? Did you noitice it starts when the disscusssion has already started?

Back