Can anyone recommend a short term rental agency?

JHK2131

Registered
I wanted to plan last minute trip to Buenos Aires for one month, after looking around a bit found the two most recommended agencies were buenosaireshabitat, which was completely booked, and apartmentsba which had on studio left in Palermo. I felt it was overpriced and thought it over for a few days, and saw today it was booked.

Can anyone recommend any other agencies? A lot of apartments I see are from agencies which seem to have horror stories associated with them (no returned deposits) and that seem to have really dated furniture.

Also, I know BA wasn't as cheap as it once was, but when did it get this expensive? A lot of the furnished apartments I looked at, a lot which weren't anything nice either, were $1500. Now reading around on this forum it seems food isn't cheap either. I remember reading stories of people renting luxorious penthouses for $400-$800 a month (four hour work week) and now those will probably cost you $2k+.

Thanks

I know of one called friendlyrentals.com that has a good reputation and a nice selection of apartments. Buenos Aires is no longer a "cheap" destination, however if you come here with dollars or euros to spend, well, you will find it inexpensive. Even if you spend $2000 u$d per month on an apartment here in Bs As, it will be quite luxurious and in a prime area of the city. That still only comes to $66 u$d per night, which in other cities will barely get you a bed in a fleabag motel. The things to avoid buying here are clothes, they are not good quality and are not at all a bargain. Some of the leather goods are nice but again you can find the same or better quality in the US for the same price now that prices have increased so much. A good pair of men's shoes now costs $500 to 600 pesos and in the US there are PLENTY of stores that sell good shoes for less.

I went thru rentinba.com for my 6-month rental and I couldn't be happier. They've been extremely attentive, accommodating, and friendly. They even were able to get the apartment that I was interested in for less than quoted on the website and with approval for my two dogs even though the unit is pet-free. Anytime I need anything I call and they are more than happy to help out and if something has broken or needed a repair, someone is at my apartment within 15 minutes. There is also airbnb.com. They've got fantastic properties and usually pretty incredible rates.

I used this site when I first came here and was totally happy: http://www.airbnb.com/search

Some people also post on Craigslist and on http://www.compartodepto.com/ (fill out a profile for what you want on the latter and the information will come into your mailbox). I would also post on facebook what you're looking for as I was surprised how many people know someone in BsAs. This site also has stuff, but it's typically longer term: http://www.zonaprop.com.ar/

Best of luck!

I agree with Mariposa, Beatriz is great, very reliable. And the apartment I rented from her at the end of 2006 on calle Defensa has only gone up from $1000 then to $1200 now.

Back