Can extranjeros open a Mercado Pago account

Is there any specific information online about this "Tourist Account" and it's requirements as I can find no mention of it?
I suggest you inquire at the Banco Ciudad at one of the branches below. They are apparently opening accounts for "digital nomads" but I am not sure about tourists who are not working here.

IF the answer is positive, download the form 663 to get a CDI (if you don't already have one).
Then, with your CDI and your passport, present yourself at one of the following branches of Banco Ciudad to open your account:

Av. Las Heras 1601, Buenos Aires | Av. Leandro Alem 1051, Buenos Aires

I suggest you inquire at the Banco Ciudad at one of the branches below. They are apparently opening accounts for "digital nomads" but I am not sure about tourists who are not working here.

IF the answer is positive, download the form 663 to get a CDI (if you don't already have one).
Then, with your CDI and your passport, present yourself at one of the following branches of Banco Ciudad to open your account:

Av. Las Heras 1601, Buenos Aires | Av. Leandro Alem 1051, Buenos Aires
Thank you Steve

I'm just a long-term tourist. But, do they let you deposit pesos into that account? It sounds like that's something, as a tourist, they would require you to deposit dollars and get an official rate which, if that is the case, would be no better than using a credit card.
It doesn't apply to you given your migratory circumstances, but yes, you can deposit pesos in to the account.

Now, if you wanted to fight with banks you could; in Argentina there is the right to something called the cuenta universal gratuita, it's a free savings account that actually works like a checking account (minus checks) and legally you don't have to have anything other than a CDI and Passport to open one, but the issue is finding a bank/branch/account manager that knows this as the law applies to anyone legally in Argentina, regardless of citizenship (like most laws here such as healthcare or education) provided the applicant doesn't already have a bank account at any financial institution in Argentina.

If you want you can go to AFIP and get a CDI, it's like a CUIT/L for a non-migrant but again, I'm not sure how important having a bank account is for you given the amount of bureaucracy and fighting with people that's involved.

Back