Can I buy reales in the bank?

Parvati

Registered
Hi,
My Land Lady asked me today if as a foreigner I can buy reales in the bank freely. As far as I understand since we are here on a work visa we are pretty much under the same regulation as any Argentine citizen, which means I can't buy reales unless I am traveling to Brasil and I have proof of that. Am I correct?
She tells me she has to make some payments in Brasil and needs to do them in cash. I would not mind helping her out, but I think the only way she can do that is to go to Brasil and get money out of the ATM... Again, am I wrong in this?
Thanks for the help
P

She is crazy, tell her that you pay her in Reales if she pays for your stay and flight to Brasil.

If you have money lying around abroad, it might not be so hard to transfer it to Brasil, if you do that you have proof of her dodging taxes in Argentina and you should only do it if you get a significant cut

I wish I had money lying around... I feel desperation is hitting many around here and there is always the idea that because we are foreign we might have access to more resources. Or have preferential treatment... Which, we know, it is not the case. If I can legally help, I will. Still, I am not willing to do anything that can be misinterpreted in any way by AFIP or anyone else.
I told her today there was nothing I could do and that we are not traveling abroad any time soon either...
Thanks for answering and the help guys.
I think this is the most helpful forum for me here in Argentina :)

Parvati said:
I wish I had money lying around... I feel desperation is hitting many around here and there is always the idea that because we are foreign we might have access to more resources. Or have preferential treatment... Which, we know, it is not the case. If I can legally help, I will. Still, I am not willing to do anything that can be misinterpreted in any way by AFIP or anyone else.
I told her today there was nothing I could do and that we are not traveling abroad any time soon either...
Thanks for answering and the help guys.
I think this is the most helpful forum for me here in Argentina :)
Yes -- this is what I call the "Magic Foreigner Syndrome"! Some locals seems to really believe that we have all sorts of special privileges which we do not.

The simply answer i no you can't . You are unable to buy any foriegn currencys. Except on the black market.
The gov has done pretty well at closing almost every loophole. Usually you could find away around things but in this case no.

Back