Can I return to US while my FBI check is pending?

I appreciate the offer, but the FBI is already sending it to my apartment in NY, hence my dilemma.

An FBI report doesn't need to receive the seal of the Apostille (so I've been told).

Don't you have someone who can forward it to BA for you?

I know someone in NYC who might be able to help...

My bigger issue is that I've already booked the flight home. I could arrange for someone to pick it up from my apmt if worse comes to worse. However, since I booked the flight, I need to know if I need to cancel it. Thanks again for offering to help out.

I am certainly not the ultimate authority on this question, but I think if you were applying for the visa in New York there would be a "window" that the report would be accepted.

When you are in Argenitna, it is obviously a different situation.

THE ULTIMATE QUESTION IS: HOW IMPORTANT IS IT FOR YOU TO RETURN TO THE US BEFORE YOU GET THE VISA?

steveinbsas said:
An FBI report doesn't need to receive the seal of the Apostille (so I've been told).

Up until very recently, you were unable to get a FBI apostilled. Now they are able to put a seal on it, so it can be apostilled.... which I believe is now required. I read somewhere on the forum that migraciones knows/understands that the FBI document is not able to be apostilled. However, now that it can be, I strongly suspect that the requirement is in effect. It seems like the FBI may have started making their reports "apostillable" for this very purpose.

This is from the FBI website:

"4. Does the FBI *apostille?

(*An apostille is a document that has been "legalized" or "authenticated"
by the issuing agency. This is a process in which various seals are
placed on the document.)

The FBI’s CJIS Division will authenticate U.S. Department of Justice Order 556-73 fingerprint search results for international requests by placing the FBI seal and signature of a Division official on the results, if requested at the time of submission. Documents prepared in this matter may then be sent to the U.S. Department of State by the requestor to obtain an apostille if necessary. This service is not provided to individuals requesting search results for Canadian immigration, as it is not required for this purpose. This procedure becomes effective 1/25/2010 and will apply only to documents finalized after that date. Requests to authenticate previously processed results will not be accepted. This procedure replaces the letter formerly provided by the CJIS Division that indicated the service was not provided."

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/faqs.html

I was told this by my immigration attorney, and I actually got the report mailed from the US to Argentina.

Does anyone have any recent information on whether or not the FBI report needs to be apostilled to show here in Argentina? I have mine here ready to go, and I'm just now reading this thread. I was under the impression that only the birth certificate was to be apostilled. Please help! I'll go insane if they tell me I have to send it back to the U.S. to get an apostille.

Same issue here. Getting my background check now and will be moving down there in June. I'm afraid that the gap in timing might cause an issue.

The FBI requirement for visas is relatively new. A local, state, report was enough but even then it would "cancel" itself the second you entered any US territory, regardless of state of origin.

I don't understand why you have to travel to pick up your report. I do it every year, through the FBI webpage. Go to their site, download the required documents, get your fingerprints done at your local police station, sign the payment form (credit card) and mail it. FBI mails the form signed back to you here in Argentina. No need for a lawyer or to travel.

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm

Back