Can I Trust A Real Estate Agent To Rent Out My Flat?

You could be totally wrong.

I could be :D... but after witnessing the nightmare my parents (and a couple years before, my aunt) went through renting out properties in Spain, and having a tenant decide they were just going to live there rent free for a couple of years, my feeling is that short term rentals to tourists (genuine tourists) are less risk. However, not being in the country obviously complicates matters... which is why my parents' apartment sits empty and my aunt has turned to very short term rentals to foreigners.

Being a landlord is not something to just jump into without factoring all risks. If you are going to rent it out from abroad, you'll almost certainly need someone local to take care of things that may arise.

I don't have personal experience with GS Dirtboy, but if I had to do it again, I would definitely listen to the chorus of advice on this site.

We used to rent out our property at the beach, and we used several different managers over the years. It always ended up as a nightmare, because the agency/agent would become greedy, assume we were stupid foreigners, and start doing sketchy stuff. Of course, we were also constantly worried about being sued by the manager, cleaning lady, handyman, etc. It wasn't worth it and we finally sold it after 12 years. I am much happier being a renter than a landlord in Argentina.

Back